Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Balthazar ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 05:24PM

One thing that continues to amaze me having grown up amongst Mormons and knowing many Mormons is the way they rigidly compartmentalize their lives, especially between work and church. I know some very educated and learned Mormons who studied all the math and science and became successful doctors with great careers. I could never figure out how the vast scientific knowledge they mastered for their jobs could be reconciled with the absolutely batshit loco metaphysical absurdities they professed on Sundays. I overheard our Mormon neighbor telling his kids about what's coming for them in the Celestial Kingdom and that they will have their own planet to lord over, etc. Here's a medical doctor who appeared to believe, to the core of his being, that all the Mormon claptrap was true. It's similar to Dr Ben Carson the brain surgeon also being indoctrinated with Trumpian mumbo jumbo and his own flavor of wacky evangelical Christianity. These are supposedly smart people!!! What happened??,

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: El padre del tiempo ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 05:35PM

Smart, but not wise. Also, failing in the integrity department. Money and career security trump doing the right thing.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 05:50PM

Isn't the word "integrity" wonderful? It literally means the integration of one's ethics and behavior in a coherent whole. In other words, it's the opposite of compartmentalization.

The Mormon church is one of many organizations that thrives on its own, and its members', moral and intellectual disintegration.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 01, 2021 05:40PM

For me, it's not noticing the similarities between the currently accepted religious myths, and, for instance, the beliefs of the ancient Romans, Greeks, etc. I suppose there is something in human nature that is drawn to myth and community.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.