Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jdawg333 ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 09:12AM

This is not intended as a political post about communism. I was just struck by how being educated as a child to be a communist was very similar to how I was raised in Mormonism:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katyasoldak/2017/12/20/this-is-how-propaganda-works-a-look-inside-a-soviet-childhood/

Among the parallels:

-You believe you're happy because you're told you are and you are sad about the unlucky outsiders born into other situations

-all of the heroes you learn about and celebrate are former leaders or martyrs. Lots of energy goes into group commemorative events.

-You progress through structured youth organizations designed to teach you how to be a good member of the society.

-you learn songs and slogans praising your organisation.

-There are significant omissions in teaching historical events in order to remove nuance and portray your organisation as the innocent victim.

-access to media is controlled.

-deaths of leaders are collectively mourned by the whole society.

-shaming and peer pressure are tools used to keep people in line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2021 09:13AM by jdawg333.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 09:31AM

Even during my most TBM days I was always uncomfortable with the obvious parallels with the General Authorities and the Soviet Politburo.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:21AM

Not one thing on your list that isn't a perfect description of the Mormonism I knew.

Plus--factor in the human need to belong, the even more human need to be told what you want to hear, and the need to feel that you are the underdog. After that, propaganda gets a free ride anywhere it wants to go.

Takes some real internal strength and self honesty to get out; to choose yourself.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:48AM

Tomorrow Belongs to Me
John Kander, Fred Ebb

The sun on the meadow is summery warm.
The stag in the forest runs free.
But gather together to greet the storm.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

The branch of the linden is leafy and
Green,
The Rhine gives its gold to the sea.
But somewhere a glory awaits unseen.
Tomorrow belongs to me.

Now Fatherland, Fatherland, show us the sign
Your children have waited to see
The morning will come
When the world is mine
Tomorrow belongs to me
Tomorrow belongs to me
Tomorrow belongs to me
Tomorrow belongs to me

--------------
If that is what you wanted to hear, then sounds damn nice. No? Even heavenly.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:54AM

Is Mormonism a

Whack Job

or a

Wack Job?

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:55AM

Even when I was younger, I couldn't buy how "United Order" was different from the communism they seemed to be so afraid of.

Date: September 08, 2021 11:05AM

Agreed. At the time I justified to myself that maybe the difference was that in the United Order the leaders would be inspired directly by God and not corrupt. Ha!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 11:29AM

Riigggght. I figured Satan made communism to confuse people about the UO. You know, Satan always tries to mess up God's plan by making copy cat deceptions and all that. (Eye roll)

Date: September 08, 2021 11:14AM

the UO was supposedly 'voluntary', but in a close-knit, ethno-centric community, who would dare not to 'volunteer'.

Communism isn't, doesn't have any voluntary aspects.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 08, 2021 10:56AM

Plus: get the cute girls to buy in. The rest will follow.

I'm only half joking. One of the main drawing points of Mormonism is access to the cute girls. They are the carrot dangled before the male missionaries. They are front and center in every piece of Mormon artwork. They are chosen to be Temple Square guides because of the "Light of the Gospel in their eyes". The prize after death is an unending string of sexpots for the Worthy Priesthood Holders. Do not discount the importance of the Cute Girls effect when discussing Mormonism.

Date: September 08, 2021 11:17AM

True. Many of my fellow male missionaries and even one of my teachers in the MTC would say that "the harder you work, the hotter your wife would be."

The concept seemed to be a big motivation to many, but seemed really icky to me that God would rank the hotness of his daughters and reward you with a person in your tier.

As a closeted gay, though, I wasn't interested in how hot my future wife would be. :p

Date: September 08, 2021 11:17AM

the (young, less-status) guys aced out of the cute girls by wealthy, high-status guys in Polyg will have to settle for the 'sweet spirits' (fat, non-cute) gals...

yup, that's the story!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.