Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 01:00PM

I know mission presidents fill out a report on every missionary when the missionary returns home.

These seem more elusive than membership records.

Has anyone seen one or know what they contain?

Seems like such a report would have far reaching effect on church callings and standing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 01:32PM

Either my MP didn’t write one or Bishops/SPs can ignore them . . .

Either way, wayward mishies can have reason to hope.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 06:29PM

The church keeps a long dossier on it’s members because it wants to know who it can trust to fill the upper leadership positions. You want organizational loyalty in the upper ranks. So it’s a form of mining for the church. It’s looking for the diamonds in the rough. It also shows the church does not trust it’s members.

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 11:25AM

Rubicon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The church keeps a long dossier on it’s members
> because it wants to know who it can trust to fill
> the upper leadership positions. You want
> organizational loyalty in the upper ranks. So
> it’s a form of mining for the church. It’s
> looking for the diamonds in the rough. It also
> shows the church does not trust it’s members.

This makes a lot of sense. There is a lot of money and power in the upper levels of the church. Have to make sure those who get access to the money and power have always stayed valiant and on the straight and narrow.

But kind of scary that the church keeps such detailed records on its members.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: September 11, 2021 11:49PM

Back in the early 90s I had a friend from graduate school who was doing IT work for the Church. He told me that he could pull up my "pink card" as I think he called it. And he did. It did have information about my dishonorable discharge as a Missionary. I worked as a ward clerk for a few years and I don't think bishops had access to this then.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 05:38PM

I have a relative (well, several, but in this instance only one matters) who served as an MP and said to me, "I shouldn't tell you this but at the end of their service the church asks mission presidents to name the one or two best missionaries they oversaw." That too goes in the official record and is indeed used to identify potential future church leaders.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 12, 2021 07:11PM

Upon hearing this news, one would continue to suppose what one had already been supposing, that being an AP goes into your Permanent File and would count heavily in assessment for future openings at the Ward and Stake levels of the church of Jesus Christ of Piggly-Wiggly.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 14, 2021 11:46AM

I was part of a mischievous group of Elders who experienced a terrible sexual assault on one of the female MTC instructors. The church covered it up and we were placed on probation.

The report followed all of us to the mission field. About 18 months, I blatantly broke the missionary rules when I took the sisters car to score some food on Sunday. I was told that I had never learned to stay out of trouble. I was told that I should have been sent home after the "first incident" at the MTC. Obviously, a report had been sent about the assault incident because he was aware of it.

Undoubtedly, the SP had a report about my mission experience. My reporting to the high council went awry when I couldn't accurately tell them my convert baptism stats.

I guess I screwed up my chance to become the next bishop :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.