Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 03:25PM

Cigarette giant Philip Morris company has just sealed the deal to take over UK asthma inhaler company Vectura.

Reportedly, the move "has angered health groups such as Asthma UK and the British Lung Foundation that have questioned whether a tobacco group should own a company that cures the very respiratory illnesses cigarettes cause."

Comment taken from a Reuters article here:

https://www.reuters.com/business/philip-morris-seals-deal-buy-vectura-with-75-shares-tendered-2021-09-16/

No kidding. Billions of dollars make for strange bedfellows.

This must be the year for Things that Make you Shake your Head a few dozen times every day.

It seems as counterintuitive for the body that causes the malady to also provide the cure as it would be if The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which forbids consumption of liquor, bought into Seagram's, Jack Daniel's, Crown Royal or Jim Beam.

Or if the MoTab performed acid rock.

Or the Prophet lost his TR.

Or The Mormon Church retracted the BoM.

Although the way things are going in this world, I wouldn't be at all surprised if something like this happened.

It hasn't though. Has it? It's getting hard to keep up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 04:22PM

That is truly awful!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 04:32PM

I mean, you almost laugh. It's like the lead-in to a joke. Except the punch line stinks. In this case, worse than their product does.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 16, 2021 06:07PM

Extremely disturbing. Information like this is not helping us find reasons to help bradley save the planet from the hyperspace passthrough.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 02:01AM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> It seems as counterintuitive for the body that
> causes the malady to also provide the cure as it
> would be if The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter
> Day Saints, which forbids consumption of liquor,
> bought into Seagram's, Jack Daniel's, Crown Royal
> or Jim Beam.

For all we know, Ensign Peak Advisors might have shares in those companies!

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 02:09AM

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 02:41AM

Plenty of recognizable names in there. Warren Buffet would be impressed--oh, wait, Berkshire Hathaway is on the list!

Amidst the (literally) plethora of names, there might be one we don't recognize which distills spirits, pun intended. Thanks to your research [!] I'll assume that's highly improbable, though.

But still: if politics makes for strange bedfellows, so does filthy lucre.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 03:00AM

Hmm.

$500M in Johnson & Johnson
$163M in Pfizer
$55M in Regeneron

IDK. In the context of $130B+, doesn't seem to be significant enough to drive pro-vax revelation. Still, every little million helps.

I understand they used to have a position in the holding company that owns Victoria's Secret. Guess they sold that off?

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 10:29AM

Recognizing that tobacco is a dying business, perhaps they're starting a long, drawn process of turning their swords into plowshares.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 02:05PM

That's right. The same thing will happen with the oil companies, some of which are already betting heavily on alternative energy sources in the expectation that the fates no longer favor fossil fuels.

I'm not sure what the right outcome is. It would be gratifying to see the sin companies collapse, surely, but if that means having to spend public resources fighting them in court for decades perhaps it would be better to let them reinvent themselves and remain in business.

I think that is what is going on right now.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: September 17, 2021 01:25PM

I was a Phillip Morris stock holder for years, great stock (from a financial end) and dividend. I finally got tired of the swings and sold it all. My predication is that they will eventually be a big player in the marijuana business.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.