Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 11:01AM

The PR benefits would be enormous. Most of the church buildings are vacant 90% of the time. They could very easily turn the "cultural halls" into care centers. Or am I mistaken?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 11:23AM

Yep, you’re mistaken. The fires here are phenomenal. The evac center has never been the mormon chuch. It’s the Church of the Nazarene.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2021 11:23AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 01:17PM

Church of the tangerine ?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 01:27PM

Is this year as bad as the previous ones? I haven't read as much about them this year. . .

Trust you are okay.

Date: September 25, 2021 02:38PM

This one, the Fawn Fire is the most violent one I’ve seen. Thankfully it is only 12 square miles at this point, but growing rapidly with only 10% containment.

DH and I loaded up our dogs and ran like hell night before last. We have an agreement w/friends that whoever of us is about to burn up can run to the other’s home.

Wind shifted and drove the fire in the other direction, so we were able to come home. Wind is everything right now.

A female arson suspect has been arrested. Law enforcement suspects that she is responsible for many of our CA fires, particularly in Shasta County.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 10:04PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DH and I loaded up our dogs and ran like hell
> night before last. We have an agreement w/friends
> that whoever of us is about to burn up can run to
> the other’s home.

I'm sorry you (and other posters) have to live like that. It seems like CA now has five seasons: winter, spring, summer, fire, and fall. It's tragic.

----------------
> A female arson suspect has been arrested. Law
> enforcement suspects that she is responsible for
> many of our CA fires, particularly in Shasta
> County.

I'm not sure which is worse: having a power company whose negligence regularly causes infernos or having crazy people doing this for fun.

Best wishes for the rest of the autumn. I'm not sure I'd want to drive through northern California again if opportunity arose because so much beauty has been destroyed. I'm told the scenery is positively Dantean.

Date: September 26, 2021 12:31AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not sure which is worse: having a power
> company whose negligence regularly causes infernos
> or having crazy people doing this for fun.

It’s possible that property owners could become fastidious about their surroundings, and PG&E could update their equipment; buttttt … an arson offender WILL.NEVER.CHANGE. Fire is “their secret animal.” Setting fires provides them with an almost sexual gratification.

Friends fostered a 16-year-old boy who became involved with the local volunteer fire department. He was transfixed by the fire hall operations. Our friends were so proud of him. Then he stole radios. Upon looking into his past, authorities discovered that he was a juvenile arson offender. (A trait the foster agency failed to reveal.) After the boy was removed from their home, our friends discovered he had set small fires in crawl spaces, closets, and even dresser drawers all over their home.

Date: September 26, 2021 07:36AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------

>
> Best wishes for the rest of the autumn. I'm not
> sure I'd want to drive through northern California
> again if opportunity arose because so much beauty
> has been destroyed. I'm told the scenery is
> positively Dantean.

Thank you. I think autumn will be good. I read that winter may be wetter than usual this year. Hope that’s true.

Yesterday DH and I drove to Oregon, and still saw deeply forested areas. Crews have worked hard to protect the Sequoias. I think you’d still enjoy it. :)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 12:21PM

Space is not the problem. Equipment, and especially staffing are the problems.

Date: September 25, 2021 01:09PM

Equipment, staffing, fires, pandemic notwithstanding, Mormonism won’t help—-unless you cross their palms with silver.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: September 25, 2021 09:07PM

I don't see them as a viable covid care center.

Even if the kitchen worked it would be too small to handle the needs.

Electrical needs for ventilators is not set up. Would require rewiring.

Showering facilities are inadequate.

If a sink was not a necessity in every exam room a church would make a great clinic. Allow for routine exams and minor procedures and free up space in other facilities for covid overflow.

A traveling unit could go from city to city, set up wellness clinics, health screening, refill meds etc. Then move on by sunday.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 26, 2021 03:55PM

I thought that in more than a few areas in Utah, the church buildings already were Covid Central...?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.