Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 10:42AM

Both my husband and I were fully vaccinated in March with the 1st and 2nd doses of Pfizer vaccine.

With all of the back and forth talk about booster shots, I was curious to find out if I had antibodies and if so, how strong or weak, since it has been almost seven months.

I was surprised at the results:
Mine showed a sold dark red line; not pink, not faded. Dark red, which means that I have long term antibodies.

My husbands' results were more of a surprise:
It was blank. Not even faded pink. Thinking that maybe there was a mistake, the test was repeated a second time. Same results.

So riddle me this: We both had the vaccines on the same day, same times, same brand of vaccine with very different results. Why would this be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 10:48AM

You have different immune systems.

Posted by: moehoward ( )

What was your doctor's explanation?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )

I’m curious if blood types have anything to do with these results.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 10:53AM

I dunno but I'd be getting the booster shot right away if I was your husband.

Either his shot was a blank or his particular system has a preference for pink even with a viable result. Who knows? Everybody I know had different reactions to the shot. Our bodies are all so different.

However. I have been hearing about the anti-vaxxers who end up in hospital demanding to be given antibodies which are ten times more expensive and they are being given them by the hospitals. The anti-bodies are only available because others who have battled through. I haven't had the time to research all the details on this but apparently many anti-vaxxers are demanding and getting what the former Prez got. Anybody know?

Date: September 30, 2021 10:55AM

The doctor didn't have an explanation, but I think that Kathleen brings up a good statement: Whether or not blood types play a role in this.

We were wondering about this also. He is O+ and I am A+...

Date: September 30, 2021 10:56AM

Also, we think that my husband better get the booster shot and keep masking up, too.

Date: September 30, 2021 11:16AM

This is not the article I read, but it seems to reiterate that data.

Types B and AB were not at increased risk of COVID-19 infection. In terms of mortality, blood type A patients were at increased risk of death (OR = 1.48; 95% CI, 1.11–1.97) and type O patients had a decreased risk of death (OR = 0.66; 95% CI, 0.48–0.91) (P = . 01 each).Jul 18, 2021

Relationship between blood type and outcomes ... - NCBI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8286549/

Edited to add link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2021 11:19AM by kathleen.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 04:08PM

"He is O+ and I am A+"

Glad to hear you aced the blood test.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 12:31PM

why some people have breakthrough COVID after being fully vaccinated. I'm interested in knowing what my antibodies are NOW after being vaccinated, getting the antibodies, and now surviving COVID.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 12:43PM

This probably has little to do with blood types really, from what I know from my work in immunology.

I'm guessing the band you saw refers to total IgG or was it specific for spike or core COVID antigens or what? (Was this band on a graph or test strip or what?) It's hard to know what test was done by what methodology. That is important to know to understand what is going on. Maybe it is because I have been in a work environment with multiple diagnostic antibody procedures that I am skeptical of interpretations, so I make it more complicated than needed.

It doesn't sound like you had PCR antibody tests and it doesn't sound like we have an acute and convalescent specific level to compare.

I don't know from your comments if your husband has low antibody levels in general for everything or just for a specific thing tested. Consider meds he may have taken. Consider interfering substances for the procedure they used. I can think of a few other reasons too. This is something your doctor needs to help you explain. If he doesn't know, maybe he could tell you what he suspects and possibly repeat the test. Or, ask another doctor more specialized who will do different tests. Maybe it's nothing and he just needs a booster. Random folks like me on the internet probably shouldn't be sharing opinions spreading confusion and worse!

Good luck and be healthy.

Date: September 30, 2021 12:50PM

So aside from the antibody test, do you think there is not a valid correlation between blood type and Covid survivability ?

And yes, I'm one of those who reads too much stuff on the internet and shouldn't have posted it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2021 12:53PM by kathleen.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 01:13PM

No, I agree with you there appears to be a correlation with COVID infection and blood types like you said. I'm not sure about blood types and antibody production in general. Pools of people in manufacturing (where I worked anyway) seem to have similar general titers, regardless of their blood types. The only blood type related antibodies that impacted us were Rh and ABO antibodies (anti D especially). We created pools of COVID concentrated antibodies, and blood types were not a contributing factor to determine antibody response.

So, to answer you question, I don't know and have not studied the data enough to say certain blood types have lower titers of IgG in responses to vaccine challenges in general. COVID is weird. We have a lot to learn about it.

I'm pretty sure I could see multiple examples of people with both high and low antibody responses from various ABO blood types. I know there are certain blood types more susceptible to disease, so I can't say I'm qualified to know how antibody levels play in.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 12:47PM

You sure earned your antibodies--the hardway. Vaccine + the disease. Wow!

I wonder if Valkyriequeen had asymptomatic Covid and got her antibodies the good, old-fashioned way.

Queenie: were you and your husband tested at the same time and location? If not, he might have been tested by a bad product lot.

Irony: "Ride of the Valkyries" is playing on my station as I type. Way to go, Queen!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 12:57PM

Joseph Smith could give you a perfect reason for this anomaly: your husband is a demon!!

You can't shake a demon's hand and you can't find demon antibodies.

Back to Church™ everyone!

Date: September 30, 2021 01:13PM

Chicken N. Backpacks and caffiend: you guys crack me up! You guys are hilarious!

C12:You probably have tons of antibodies: you have really gone through the ringer...my gosh!

Dagny:My test show the IgG has the dark red line, and the C has pink; the IgM is blank.

Yes, hubby and I went the same day for the testing.

It's all pretty crazy; but I think the bottom line is that he ought to get the booster.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 30, 2021 01:39PM

I was serious in my post, above, especially regarding cl2's travails. I envy her antibodies!

I'll let chicken'n'biscuits speak for himself.

Your husband's probably nothing more than just a bizarre outlier. Which makes your husband a fluke--no offence.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.