Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 10:21AM

A friend posted this and I thought about my life in Mormonism where I felt unvalued most of the time. My worth was measured only by how well I conformed. My father viewed me pretty much the same way.

Here's the parable:

A father said to his daughter “You have graduated with honors, here is a Jeep I bought many years ago. It is pretty old now. But before I give it to you, take it to the used car lot downtown and tell them I want to sell it and see how much they offer you for it.”

The daughter went to the used car lot, returned to her father and said, “They offered me $1,000 because the said it looks pretty worn out.”

The father said, now “Take it to the pawn shop.” The daughter went to the pawn shop, returned to her father and said,”The pawn shop offered only $100 because it is an old Jeep.”

The father asked his daughter to go to a Jeep club now and show them the Jeep. The daughter then took the Jeep to the club, returned and told her father,” Some people in the club offered $100,000 for it because “it's an iconic Jeep and sought by many collectors.”

Now the father said this to his daughter, “The right place values you the right way,” If you are not valued, do not be angry, it means you are in the wrong place. Those who know your value are those who appreciate you......Never stay in a place where no one sees your value.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 10:48AM

Excellent parable. Saving this. Thank you.

Except, . . .just to play Devil's Advocate . . . Taking this to heart, anyone who doesn't feel appreciated will feel they are in the wrong place rather than set a goal to improve and grow when that actually may be what is needed. I see that all the time because sometimes some people are really pretty much self important drones demanding respect they haven't earned.

Yours truly,
Negative Me

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 11:14AM

Nice. And true too.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 12:27PM

But are Jeep club members really offering 100K for a worn out Jeep?

My Dad was proud of his sought after membership in a toy train club. Some of them were unscrupulous and make offers well below a piece's appraised value so they could turn around and resell it at a higher price.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 08, 2021 12:59PM

What a great post
I totally agree!
Why?
Been there done that

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.