Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 07:44AM

I just outgrew my religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 08:02AM

I consider mine a crisis because 1. It was an accident, I wasn't looking to lose my faith and 2. It was traumatic when it happened. I have spent my life taking a truth for granted, making decisions based on that truth, spending money based on that truth, etc. And to find out it was all a lie... For a while, it took some getting used go not having the answers and having to depend on myself and the here and now. Ultimately rewarding and I'm glad it happened. But it wasn't fun and I lost something that I had genuinely wanted in the process.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 10:45AM

Thanks for sharing that. Everyone who believed in Mormonism had a faith crisis. It might not have been as shocking or even much of an emotional experience but a person comes through a crisis of beliefs whether they acknowledge it to their self or not. You don't "outgrow" belief you change them or adjust them.

Who wasn't a bit sad when they accepted Santa wasn't alive?

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:37AM

I don't think I ever REALLY believed.
Even when I was 11-12-and 13 years old I had feelings of misgivings about the whole issue.
Something just didn't ring true.
Then I discovered the two challenge wprds and my life changed.
They are "PROVE IT"

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 10:38AM

For me, it wasn't a crisis, but liberation instead. I had been a member of TSCC off, but mostly on, for close to 50 years.

I was shocked when I saw a pencil sketch of JS looking in his hat with the rock in the bottom of it. They never had that picture hanging up in the sacred walls and halls of the meeting houses.

"The truth shall make you free"; really means a lot to me.

The only anger I feel is that I spent what would have been a nice retirement amount of money on damn tithing.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 10:57AM

^^^^ yes, me too, Val, on every single point !!!

Oh, the home I’d have bought with what I spent on tithing !

And that picture of Joseph Smith huffing glue from his hat—-I may hang that over the fireplace for when TBMs come over.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:00AM

LOL! You crack me up.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 10:43AM

Faith *was* the crisis. You can't imagine the relief of finding out it was all a lie. You can't call it a crisis when you skip out lighter than air exhaling for the first time.

If you find out constrictive clothing triggers your panic attacks, you quit wearing restrictive clothing. It's not rocket science. Although I guess it would be for Mormons.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:03AM

You guys are hilarious! I love it!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 11:36AM

It's not a faith crisis. It's a reason crisis.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 12:01PM

I was told to count my blessings after fire swept through my house.

They asked me if I had family who could help.

They made us (my wife) feel guilty for bothering the church.

Why would anyone ever need a church if it won't help the members?

I wasn't asking for help to make my payment on a Lamborghini.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 15, 2021 12:06PM

I realized two things -- that Christianity has no more (or less) validity than the ancient Roman, Greek, or Norse faiths. It's just the flavor du jour.

I also realized that Jesus took virtually no interest in non-Jews -- which is not his fault. He was just a man of his times, who (like many others,) was a wandering healer in a time when there were no other medical options, and who simply wanted to help his own, oppressed people. He took little interest in gentiles, so why should I take an interest in him?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.