Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 11:42AM

Wednesday’s guest is Biblical scholar John Dominic Crossan, whose latest book explores the bipolar nature of divine violence in both the Old and New Testaments. On the one hand, God and Jesus assert messages of love and equity for mankind. Then suddenly, plowshares are beaten into swords and horses are up to their bridles in blood. Crossan joins guest host Elaine Clark to discuss whether God is violent or nonviolent and what the answer tells us about ourselves and the civilizations we’ve built.
John Dominic Crossan is a renowned Biblical scholar who's written 27 books on the historical Jesus, the apostle Paul and on early Christianity. He is professor emeritus in the Department of Religious Studies at DePaul University. Among his books are Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography [Indiebound|Amazon], The Power of Parable: How Fiction by Jesus Became Fiction about Jesus [Indiebound|Amazon], and his most recent How to Read the Bible and Still Be a Christian: Struggling with Divine Violence from Genesis Through Revelation [Indiebound|Amazon].
John Dominic Crossan is in Utah to give the opening lecture of the 2015 Sunstone Symposium, an annual event focused on Mormon scholarship. His lecture is entitled The Kingdom Mind: From Jesus to Paul and the implications for Mormonism. Crossan speaks Wednesday at 7:00 p.m. at the Olpin Student Union [map] on the campus of the University of Utah. The event is free and open to the public.
Listen live on the net: http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/struggling-divine-violence

Program replays @ 7 PM and then available via podcast

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: July 29, 2015 12:11PM

I read the bible on my own as a teen. My impression was that God was schizophrenic. Wiping out entire cities based on some wicked people? The BoM had some similar mania...

Christ, as written in the new testament had compassion in many instances, yet still was not consistent. I never understood why people think someone followed Jesus around with a tape recorder, then transcribed it verbatim.

Historic vs allegorical debates are amusing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.