Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 01, 2021 11:40PM

I seem to recall that divorced priesthood holders can not be Bishops or above. What about never married men? What is the rationale for this rule anyway?

Is the same standard applied to the women in the church? I suggest it must not be. Sharon Eubank (never married daughter of the former KSL weatherman, Mark Eubank and oldest sibling of the current weatherman, Kevin Eubank) is the director of Latter-day charities and since 2017, the first counselor in the General Relief Society presidency. She has been in the news quite a bit lately as she travels to some countries overseas.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 12:35AM

Sheri Dew is also a mucky-muck at Deseret Management and CEO of Deseret Book, and in the the General RS Presidency, and never married, so it does indeed appear that the same marriage requirement that seems to apply to men does not apply to women.

I suppose the rationale is that women "may not have the opportunity to marry", since only men get to ask women to get married <yes, mocking sarcasm on my part>.

This may be one of the few instances where the usual patriarchal BS worked to women's advantage.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 04:21AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I suppose the rationale is that women "may not
> have the opportunity to marry", since only men get
> to ask women to get married .

MORmON ASSpostHOLE and then MORmON PRofit Gordon BS Hinckley stated that explicitly, numerous times.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 02:40PM

I’m surprised Russell M Ballard hasn’t told Sister Dew to use better lipstick and makeup and tell the single men in the church to marry her. That seems to be Ballard’s theme. Get on with it and get married. He advises the women to look sexier to attract the men. He advises the men to be men and pursue the women. You wonderful people can have sex with each other and hopefully make lot’s of future members by going to our wonderful temples and getting sealed by one of our old crusty sealers.

Maybe Sister Dew is no longer valuable. She’s too old to pop out children. I guess if you are out of eggs the church leaves you alone.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 04:27AM

You are missing the bigger point. The marital status of the current MORmON profit .....by applying MORmON convention on temple "eternal" marriage.... is a man with more than one wife, which makes Nelson a polygamist, which makes the most recent MORmON profit a practicing polygamist. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCgepflQueY

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 04:33AM

I think the bible (basis of 'Everything Mormon, correct...?) says that a bishop should / must be husband of 1 wife.

Mormonism isn't real good a being consistent about a lot of details, but I understand they are about this one.

What about a sex-motivated single Bishop having authority over women in his ward (or a SP)? Not the way Mormonsim is currently operating!

Am I the only one who dreads that thought?

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: November 02, 2021 12:15PM

that in my SIL's ward, she was the YW president and the bishop released one of her counselors because she got separated, and he said that they didn't want that type of example for the YW.

They actually did ask me to be in YWs when I was a single mother, though as most know, I'm STILL married and he left in 1996 or was it 1995. I told them no. I had kids to raise. I loved working in YWs, but I hated the other leaders.

But I've heard that about being bishop, etc., but when I was in the singles' ward, a good friend of mine was the second counselor the whole time I was in that ward, which was about 4 years. He didn't marry until after my husband left. I think that was the practice in most singles wards and student wards, but then I've been out a LONG time. They get a lot of bishops for the young unmarrieds from this ward.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 12:15PM

I think the rationale behind a single male not serving a ladder priesthood calling has to do with the fear of elevating homosexuals in the church.

And yes, I'm well aware of closet gays marrying women in the church.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 03, 2021 02:42PM

Well it used to be you were a nobody in the church if you had just one wife. The bigger the harem the bigger your status in the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.