Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Very Afraid of Mormons ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 06:13PM

What is a good newbie drink that I can make at home? Liquor is expensive, and I don't want any wine or drink that needs refrigeration. I have to hide it.

I live in a house full of Mormon adults and Mormon children. They give me a hard time if I drink even green tea.

I have a stressful job, and sometimes, on a Friday or Saturday night, when everyone is out of the house, I would like to unwind, with a good book or movie, and drink some alcohol to relax me. I am of age, and drink only at parties that offer alcohol, or if I'm at a bar with a date.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 06:15PM

Get some 151 everclear. A few sips will do the trick.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 09:35PM

My DH only uses it to clean dirt and rust off of tools.

He knows I drink the occasional bit of wine or a margarita, but told me very sternly to keep away from the Everclear, as it was not meant for human consumption. I figured maybe it was like acetone or something.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 11:25PM

Everclear is a neutral grain spirit similar but way more potent than vodka. It is distilled to be consumed as a liquor. It is made in two different potencies. 151 proof (75% alcohol) is the commonly obtainable product. They make 190 proof as well, but is not legal to sell in many states.

For reference most alcohols (whisky, rum, vodka, tequila) is 80 proof (40% alcohol), some are 100 proof.

Bottom line, everclear is strong stuff, you don't need much to get the effects of alcohol.

PS-re: your DH's cover story for having a pint in the garage...heheheh...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 11:29PM by csuprovograd.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 09, 2015 02:09AM

and having been brought up LDS (thought not active for years now) he does not care for alcohol. If I order a different kind of drink when we go out for supper, he may ask to taste it. If it is something pretty sweet, like a pina colada, he doesn't mind the taste. But something serious, like a single-malt whiskey, he will wrinkle his nose and say "Yuck! How can you STAND that stuff??"

Also, he is actually afraid of alcohol - not because he is LDS, but because his father was a TERRIBLE alcoholic. DH says, "I'm afraid to try it because I might LIKE it, and I don't want to take a chance on that." I don't think he is in any danger. What little he has sampled, he hasn't cared for.

Posted by: Hikergrl ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 06:35PM

I suggest buying something you can poor into a soda bottle or water bottle to hide during storage. I would go with rum and coke or if you have a sweet tooth try Malibu rum and pineapple juice. Screwdrivers are easy for newbies and easy to conceal. Buy minis or generics if you don't have the money for the liquor. Hope this helps...

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 07:07PM

THat's a risky idea if their are kids about who might accidentally consume it if they find it.

Date: August 08, 2015 01:11AM

Yeah...you have a point. Hummm... maybe put them in a gym bag high up in the closet?

Date: August 07, 2015 07:01PM

Does rum require refrigerating after opening?

At the liquor stores, here in Utah, I would have to buy a bottle big enough to last two years.

Where can you buy mini-bottles in SLC?

Date: August 07, 2015 07:10PM

No, rum lasts for ages and ages and never needs refrigeration.

BTW, Mount Gay Rum is great, as is Lamb's Spiced Rum.

Here are some recipes you can try
http://thatschristmas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/its-beginning-to-look-lot-like.html

http://thatschristmas.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/new-christmas-cocktails.html

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 08:19PM

Captain Morgan's Spice Rum is strictly for college freshmen. My theory is it's overly spiced because it's the blended dregs of the industry. Like Southern Comfort (alleged) bourbon.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 08:17PM

Mini bottles? Ha! Utah is the only state where it's illegal to buy mini's (except in hotel minibars).
If you're trying not to get caught- go with Vodka. Anything else will show up on your breath. You can even fill an empty Scope bottle w/Vodka, put a drop of green food coloring (won't effect the taste)in it, so if someone does find it (I'd still hide it) you won't get busted. You can mix it w/sprite, cranberry, orange, grapefruit juices. Or just take a nip of straight Scope-Vodka.

Date: August 08, 2015 12:59AM

That's brilliant...

Date: August 08, 2015 01:16AM

Hey...you could add some peppermint schnapps.

I think I need to go make a vodka tonic or a Moscow mule after all this booze talk. :)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 09:23AM

Learned that trick before going on a cruise. They won't let you bring your own booze on the boat, so they can sell you your cocktails. But, you sure can bring mouthwash. We brought a few big bottles. They must have thought we were oral hygiene freaks.

Posted by: surroundednjudged ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 08:36PM

Yes I would suggest vodka too. Less odor and it mixes with just about anything.

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 10:39PM

Be careful, if a TBM catches you drinking mouthwash that could bring on an intervention.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 07:14PM

You can get half pints at the UT liquor store, but they are usually stored by the cashier. You just have to ask. Most liquors available in that size.

Date: August 07, 2015 08:04PM

I have a fishing tackle box and a file cabinet that both lock. I keep medicine and cleaning supplies locked away, and the liquor would be locked, too.

Thanks for the advice. I have never asked for the smaller bottles, so I'll try that.

The kids have plenty of soda pop, I can use for mixers. Tomorrow is Saturday night, and I have a new Eric Larson book to read! Candles, the chirp of crickets and a cool breeze from the window, and my loyal dog--sometimes one needs to be left alone!

Date: August 07, 2015 08:10PM

Can't wait to try Matt's winter drink recipes--I've never had hot buttered rum. Christmas cheer will have a new meaning this year!
Thanks, you-all!

Date: August 07, 2015 08:23PM

Try those recipes now and keep on trying them!

You'll be perfect by Christmas! ;o))

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 08:14PM

Grapefruit vodka and ice

Posted by: Aussieblokesarebest ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 08:54PM

This has disaster written all over it!

Hiding booze around your morgbot dominated house can only end badly and the chances of discovery would be high. I wouldn't be hiding booze if minors could discover it and possibly drink it - that could be a crimminal offence in some jurisdictions, but even if that's not the case, the fallout from your family if one of the kids got pissed on your hidden grog would be immense.

I totally get your desire to kick back and unwind with a good stiff drink, but think of another way to do it - pop in to a bar on the way back home, go to a mates house etc. there's plenty of options, but hiding grog in your undies will only end badly.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 08:54PM

Absolute, or another average or better vodka is a good start. A "Screwdriver": pour over ice and add cranberry, pineapple, orange or other (good quality/ favorite) juice and sip your way to heaven.

"At the liquor stores, here in Utah, I would have to buy a bottle big enough to last two years."

You won't need a fifth. A pint, or 1/2 pint is a good start.

"... Tomorrow is Saturday night, and I have a new Eric Larson book to read! Candles, the chirp of crickets and a cool breeze from the window, and my loyal dog--sometimes one needs to be left alone!"

Sounds like great fun!

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 07, 2015 09:08PM

"They give me a hard time if I drink even green tea".

Try reminding - or telling - them that the church backpeddled/ changed their stance/ position and CAFFEINE is OK (now) and is not against the Word of Wisdom; in fact, it never was (so they say - but everyone knows the church lies, fabricates and changes, like the seasons).

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54797595-78/church-drinks-caffeine-lds.html.csp

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1848098

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-news--getting-it-right-august-29

"Finally, another small correction: Despite what was reported, the Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibit alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee."

They changed it on their lds website a few years ago and so all this time its a 'misunderstanding', that members made it up, that it was never bad or wrong to begin with. The problem, they'll tell you, is HOT DRINKS.

But, for Mormons, old habits die hard. I know saints that don't even know that caffeine is not against the Word of Wisdom. It wasn't announced in conference or in the Ensign, or in church. They still drink non caffeinated Cola, caffeine free HOT tea ("sleepy time", etc.), and "Postum"... all AGAINST the WoW - HOT DRINKS, oxy-morons. They are sinning and they don't know it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2015 10:03PM by moremany.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:39PM

That's true about old habits dying hard, as I know one who won't take any over the counter headache medication that has caffeine in it, nor did she want her family taking that stuff. This is someone who has lived in Utah except for family trips to Disneyland, and who divorced 2 husbands because they quit going to church. That person is my stepdad's ex wife.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 03:40PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: The Dude ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 01:07AM

Do what I did in college. Big Gulp packed with ice with a beer can inside and the straw in it.

Date: August 08, 2015 04:28AM

People hide their booze from Mormons to stop the Mormons from stealing it. ;o))

Posted by: isthechurchtrue ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 04:56AM

Vodka looks like water.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 06:24AM

Others are likely to eventually find out with terrible results. Even if they don't it undermines your integrity, self worth and your relationships.

Better to be trustworthy than tipsy once in a while.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 08:45AM

Tennessee honey in milk is pretty good.

Posted by: angela davis ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 09:31AM

I think the vodka idea is perfect.

What I did was hide a bottle of red wine in my closet and made sure there was grape juice in the refrigerator. I just poured a cup of grape juice, then went back in my room and added wine. Good stuff. And it was good for my heart.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 09:44AM

You don't have to refrigerate hard liquor. Most people just store it in a cabinet.

You might try a screwdriver (vodka & OJ,) a rum and coke, or a Bloody Mary (vodka, tomato juice, and a few other ingredients.) If you can keep tonic water around, a vodka tonic or a gin and tonic, both with a twist of lime, are very tasty.

I agree that vodka won't show up on your breath. But brush and use mouthwash afterward to be safe.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: August 08, 2015 03:49PM

Put a case of Sam Adams in the fridge and tell your family that it is a mild barley drink. Then quote D&C 89.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.