Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:03PM

When I look out a window and see ELEVEN chapel buildings and THREE temples within eyesight!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:05PM

True story.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:07PM

When all the little girls on the playground are wearing garment-worthy pale pink outfits, with GIANT bows in their hair.

Date: April 12, 2011 03:09PM

Honest to God my nonmember sibling who lives there in Utah sent me this text while driving to work:

"Truth in advertising?? A white minivan with (license) plate with '2MNYKIDS', the license frame said, 'Caution-Mom on meds' and a BYU stocker in the back window."

I texted back, "PRICELESS!"

Date: April 12, 2011 03:11PM

And when I'm visiting her from out of state and she eagerly points out all the polygamy houses!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:27PM

When your neighbor is inactive and he's still out there on Sunday mowing his lawn, shirtless, but with a garment top on. (True story, saw it in Tropic, UT in the 70's).

Ron

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 03:28PM

when you visit your family in Utah, you go for a walk in the snow Sunday morning & EVERY driveway is empty...it's like the rapture happened

Posted by: another guy ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 08:52AM

...and when the streets are literally empty - and it looks like a ghost town - between 10:00 - 12:00, and 2:00 - 4:00 on General Conference Sundays.

Posted by: tbirdguy ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:02PM

Pioneer Day is the big annual event in town

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:03PM

because the 4th falls on a Sunday.

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:05PM

imalive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I look out a window and see ELEVEN chapel
> buildings and THREE temples within eyesight!

Live in The Bubble I assume??

Date: April 12, 2011 09:27PM

I did when I attended YBU the last two years of college and GRADUATED!

My nonmember sister lives there in Utah and I could see all that stuff from her front window. Felt weird.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:15PM

When the ward newsletter is on your doorstep the first Sunday of the month - even though you are never mo!

When the Book of Mormon is on the "my favorites" reading list distributed by the school. ("Don't worry," said my DD. "It's on the fiction list.")

When your HS daughter skips her regular class to attend seminary with her friends and the teacher never reports her absent.

When all the kids on the French study abroad vote to attend a local sacrament meeting rather than see the sights.

When one of the kids in the car pool asks your (never mormon) son where he'd like to go on his mission. When your son answers that he's going to go to college, not on a mission and the little kid riding in the back gasps in horror, declaring: "NOT going on a mission?! That's just EVIL!"

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 08:20AM

Caedmon that mission story is just awful.....I can see it happening though. You know you are in Mormonland when you see CTR on cars and rings of little first or second graders.

YOu know you are in Mormonland when you are a nevermo who never gets talked to for four yrs. in your own neighborhood due to ALL around you being Mormon.

You know you are among Mormons when you get an invite to an after wedding party but never get a thank you for the gift you gave.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:38AM

AMEN!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:59AM

honestone Wrote:
> Caedmon that mission story is just awful.....I can
> see it happening though. You know you are in
> Mormonland when you see CTR on cars and rings of
> little first or second graders.
>
> YOu know you are in Mormonland when you are a
> nevermo who never gets talked to for four yrs. in
> your own neighborhood due to ALL around you being
> Mormon.
>
> You know you are among Mormons when you get an
> invite to an after wedding party but never get a
> thank you for the gift you gave.

Too true!

Also, you know you're in Mormon-Land when you get invites to wedding receptions for people you don't even vaguely know because your name is on the ward list even though you are NEVER MORMON!

You know you're in Mormon-Land when your co-workers post wedding reception announcements on the work bulletin board because they're (a) too cheap to buy enough to send to everyone or (b) don't care enough to actually invite your personally. Honestly? What am I supposed to do with that?

You know you're in Mormon-Land when you are advised NOT to put the wedding announcement in the paper because ward members will see it and assume they are invited to the reception.

RSVPs to invitations? Thanks you notes? Forget about it. Never happens.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:57PM

When a fellow employee asks you how old your oldest is and you tell him then he asks why he isn't on a mission.

My reply? I didn't think they let non-mormons serve missions for their church. Didn't say much after that and hasn't spoken to me since.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:22PM

When state liquor stores that make money, are closed.

When you get a note on your door that says you are invited to a Relief Society gathering.

Editing to add more:

On Sundays its common to see throngs of males in white shirts and ties.

On Sundays the movie theaters are practically empty. (best day to go to a movie!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2011 05:45PM by emanon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 05:28PM

...and you and your fellow shoppers look at each other like you're all part of a secret society. Then you have to go to *another* store altogether to buy a corkscrew.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 09:54PM

conversations overheard in the grocery store revolve around all things mormon.

there are no drive-thru coffee shacks, anywhere!

when the State liquor store for the county is the size of a walk-in-closet and located in a back room of a gas station.

when the Cosmopolitan magazine is covered with a black board to protect the youngin's virgin eyes and minds.

When the D.I. is larger than the Walmart.

When you see billboards for the Missionary Mall.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: April 12, 2011 10:06PM

Honest this happend this week

**When you go into a regular business and there is a picture of the First Presidency in the foyer.**

JB

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:59AM

Posted by: tawanda2011 ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 01:15AM

It sounds like hell to me. Is the telestial kingdom in Utah? Never having lived near mormons, I feel like where I live is terrestial like.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 02:25AM

the beer hides behind a plastic curtain on Sunday. And that beer is <3.2%, or, as we say in California, sex in a canoe (it's fucking close to water).

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 02:29AM

Don Bagley Wrote:
> that beer is <3.2%, or, as we say in
> California, sex in a canoe (it's fucking close to
> water).

Too many calories, so little fun. I'd rather just have the water.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 08:23AM

...people don't shop for underwear.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 09:03AM

People ask you what ward you are in. They assume, usually correctly, that you are mormon and want to know who you might know in common based on where you go to church.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 10:50AM

Practice for kids' sports teams never happens on Monday night. And on Tuesday and Wednesday coaches don't get all the team at practice because they'd be missing YM/YW. (Why sign your kids up for sports in the first place if you can't make a 2 month commitment?)

A cup of coffee is a political statement.

Posted by: Luke ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 11:32AM

The supermarket sells Deseret Books crap.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: April 13, 2011 12:26PM

Wally-World has a section labeled "LDS" in their book department.

~VOW

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.