Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danr ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 12:09PM

I have a close acquaintance who is a stake president. Yesterday I asked him if the church's essays or seer stone information has had many members question the church. His answer, "No, because if you have a true testimony that the church is true, no matter what, then anything that we learn from church history will not put a dent in our testimony."

Because of that thought, if you have a feeling (testimony) that the church is true, no evidence will change your feelings.

There is nothing the church will do that will end the belief of most Mormons. Only the people that will allow logic to creep into their thinking will be able to put belief in the church behind them. Then of course there are the majority of Mormons who don't even know the church is coming clean right now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 12:15PM

I would like for the LDS church to TEST that theory and just lay it ALL out there at once. And not only that, ACTUALLY TEACH IT to prospective members BEFORE they agree to get baptized.

Dump the milk out.
Time for the MEAT!
Let's have a barbeque!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 12:15PM by seekyr.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 12:22PM

Because when the church tells TBM's that choco rations are up, TBM's believe choco rations are up.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 12:26PM

I agree with you. It is pounded into you your whole life that when it comes to the church, rational thinking and/or logical thinking is of Satan. The more transparent the church becomes and the more obvious it is to logical, rational thinkers that it's a fraud, the more the truly brainwashed will dig in. The more they will rely on feelings and emotions. That is the ONLY way you can believe it anymore. There is nothing that makes sense. There is nothing that has any basis in concrete facts or truth. And there is plenty that is obliterated by fact.

Forget all that. Go by emotions, i.e., "the spirit." That will carry them through for a very very long time.

Posted by: wanderinggeek ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 12:31PM

I agree with your SP sadly. My DW when looking at my reasons that led me out said about the rock in a hat "This sounds made up."

Well, now that the truth is out, its all ok. Because she knows it's true. So her earlier thought of it sounding made up doesn't matter.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 12:58PM

I spent time with a very bright, whip-ass smart TBM neice resently. She affirmed what I came to realize slowly after leaving LDSinc (15 or so years ago):

Intelligence, logic, reason etc have nothing to do with her TBMness. It's much deeper than mere "feelings", too. It's family and it's community.

We have to accept that for some being mormon "fits". It didn't fit RfMers, but it does fit some of our family and friends.

For my neice, peepstones and essays are beside the point. Bringing her hubby and 4 kids to mum's to visit her siblings and their spouses and their kids and eating a big rambunctious meal and etc is much more to the point.

Sure, some RfMers will say that that can happen sans Mormonism. Yep, but that's beside the point, too.

Human

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 01:29PM

A religious and for that matter a political ideology ingrained in a people from the time they are born is for them the only way of life. And therefore anything outside of that is a threat, even if expressed by evidence to the contrary by outside third parties.

During WII in Saipan, Guam, and other islands the Japanese soldiers fought to the death believing their emperor was a God. Civilians on some islands took it upon themselves to commit suicide, taking their children with them. The propaganda was so convincing that the American soldier was a monster, a rapist a murderer and other untruths that even American interpreters with loud speakers trying with all their emotion to the contrary couldn't stop civilians from jumping from cliffs to their deaths.

The church will always have hard core followers no matter what. Even if the 15 came out today and announced the church to be false a good percentage would not acknowledge it.

But even still I try with all I can during a conversation with a TBM to present creditable evidence most of it from TSCC. I do it knowing how happy I am now freeing my mind from the lies of TSCC and living by my own choices and want the same for them.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 03:00PM

Doesn't the morg leadership's silence speak volumes about how they treat the TBM members over all this stuff !????

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 03:30PM

As long as it keeps the next generation from joining the shit show, it is a win.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 14, 2015 08:26PM

For those mormons who place their trust on feelings being supreme because the cult has told them this what they are to do, I agree that most will not be affected by the new "transparency".

To me it is plain unbelievably ridiculous that they can keep swallowing what the cult dishes out. The whole kit and kabootle just seems so goofy, so filled with holes the size of mountains, so lacking in evidence to back it all up, that I shake my head with wonder and ask myself over and over again, "How, how, how???"

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 15, 2015 08:53AM

When people think they have the truth they quit looking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.