Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: josh ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:49AM

Any recommendations? I was planning on going to starbucks, but if anyone knows a good coffee shop in Sugarhouse...

Who knows if ill ever care for coffee, but I figure its part of the experience.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:56AM

Go with your hearts desire. When I decided to break my "temple covenents of made-up nonsense", coffee is the first thing I went for. LOL! It was a Starbucks Frap, but really I just love it all.

The first sip is very liberating! Have fun with it and enjoy. :)

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:57AM

I personally think their coffee tastes awful. Try to find a small local coffee shop. Get a latte since it's sweetened and flavored. This time of year you should be able to find seasonal pumpkin latte, which I personally love. The bitterness of regular coffee will not taste good to you since you're not used to it.

If you do get regular coffee ask them to leave room for cream and dump a bunch of sugar into it as well.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:46PM

Unless you order it that way.
Might as well order a milkshake.

Date: October 19, 2010 12:59AM

Mmmmm pumpkin latte!! I would second that if you like pumpkin!

Posted by: D the non-religious ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:04AM

Go find a Seattle's best coffee. I am sure there is one close by.

Posted by: mi ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:13AM

If you decide to try tea, I recommend the Tea Grotto. It's in the sugarhouse area at 2030 S 900 E. If you're ever downtown, you absolutely must go to Cafe d'Bolla. It's directly across from the City Library on 400 S. The address is 249 E 400 S. It is owned by a husband and wife who eat, sleep, and breathe coffee. It's the best goddamn coffee I've ever had, and the owners love nothing more than for beginners like you to ask a lot of questions, and to give you suggestions. It's a much more personal and satisfying experience than grabbing a mass-produced Frappacino from the local starbucks. Have fun!

Posted by: josh ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:17AM

That sounds good. I'll go to Cafe d'Bolla then! Thanks!

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 11:00AM

Has Cafe d'Bolla been there for a long time? I'm pretty familiar with that part of town, but I've never heard of that place. It sounds lovely. When I used to go to coffee places with friends while going to the U, we went to Roasting Company or Coffee Break, or Nobrow after they opened.

Posted by: whiskey tango ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:18AM

I remember my first and only cup. several years ago I was with the army in Iraq. I was stating to my friends that I had never had a cup. I had been smelling lots of coffee that had been sent to the troops by starbucks and others...It smelled good. I wanted some. I mentioned it to my battle buddies and the next morning they bought me a cup...My god it was awful....I decided it was an aquired taste... Good Luck.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:21AM

Start with one of the sweet and creamy coffees. It is definitely a aquired taste and you probably won't like it at first. It is a taste worth aquiring though.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:22AM

Black coffee is an acquired taste, so I also recommend the flavored drinks first. I love the pumpkin lattes that are available this time of year, as a rare treat myself.

Date: October 19, 2010 01:23AM

I wish we had good coffee houses here in Idaho Falls. We used to have a really nice one downtown when I was a teenager, but of course it went out of business.

Now we just have Java Express and Starbucks. lol

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:33AM

I am a nevermo and never liked coffee. But I am crazy about hot tea so try that if coffee is not to your liking.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:59AM

my first cup was arabic coffee with just sugar.. WOA... talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool. Coffee is kind of like wine and it's all about finding the right brew for you and a little bit of your tastebuds getting used to it.. Some people's tastebuds are so sensitive to bitter that they never get used to coffee.

Try a few different blends and ways of brewing and you'll likely find a perfect match for you... Personally I love just about any blend as long as it's made with mostly MILK.

BTW I second honestone on the hot tea.. YUMMY I will generally reach for tea over coffee I LOVE the stuff.

Date: October 19, 2010 02:10AM

If you don't want to try one of the fancy coffee drinks, I would advise you to load up your coffee with lots of sugar or flavored syrup and lots of cream. The lighter and sweeter, the better.

Posted by: gulliblestravels ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:42AM

but I absolutely LOVE starbucks. Pike or Sumatra with half & half and a bunch of splenda.
I tried coffee as a rebellious mo teen and always loved it.
My uber tbm mom tried to tell me it tasted like muddy water when I was little. So I couldn't understand why everyone at restaurants liked it so much and why it smelled soooo gooood!
Good luck, and may the coffee bean gods smile upon your first harvest! ;-)

Posted by: New UT grad student ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:49AM

Get it in a real mug instead of paper if you have time.
The Coffee Garden on 9th & 9th is great.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:50AM

is good....I do half french vanilla cappuccino and half coffee....and add a little sugar to my liking. I'm not big on just coffee (and sugar/creamer)

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:30AM

Well?

Return and report?

How was it?

Posted by: Verdacht ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:31AM

Forget Starbucks. It's over priced. The McDonalds Iced Mocha is great but pricey too. I know a lot of people who like Dunkin' Donuts coffee the best.

Plain old coffee is horrible. Just bitter nasty acidic stuff.

I say if you don't like plain black coffee, then you really don't like coffee.

Posted by: justleft ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:52AM

It's been years since I've even been to Sugar House. There was a place across the street from the movies in the mid-90s that was good, but that was 15+ years ago. I second what a lot of these folks have said, start with the flavored stuff because coffee on it's own is very bitter. And cheap, diner-type coffee tends to be nasty. Starbucks pumpkin spice latte is fantastic. When I finally left a few weeks ago, Starbucks is the first place I landed and the pumpkin spice latte did not disappoint. You can get it iced, too, which is what I've been doing since my weather is 68 one day and 85 the next. I will say this though, in my teens and early 20s, I was a big flavored coffee drinker.

Date: October 19, 2010 10:56AM

If you're in the Sugar House area I recommend going to Beans & Brews over Starbucks. Here's the link for locations: http://www.beansandbrews.com/locations.html. There's also Coffee Garden at 9th and 9th and Salt Lake Roasting Company on 400 South. Starbucks has perfectly nice tasting coffee if you're not an experienced coffee drinker, but there are lots of local places in Salt Lake that are good to support. If you want to try tea, the Tea Grotto is a really lovely little place in Sugar House and owned by a very nice woman. They sell loose tea to take home, but also do pots of tea in the store. They also have a gelato counter.

My first coffee drink was at a Starbucks. It was a black and white mocha (half regular chocolate and half white chocolate flavoring). It's basically hot chocolate with a bit of coffee flavoring. :)

Date: October 19, 2010 11:03AM

Oh, there's also Coffee Noir at 1035 E 200 S, close to the U. They're a tiny neighborhood coffee place that just opened a couple years ago, and they're very friendly.

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 11:25AM

My opinion, start with black, stay with black. I am so glad I was given that advice in my teens and stayed with it. If you want a sweet drink full of sugar and dairy yjem drink tea or chocolate. Let your palatte grow up. On the other hand, if you put in cream and/or sugar, the coffee itself can be as bad and as cheap as you like, it all will taste the same with that muck in it. Starbucks coffee, the coffee itself, is not that good, I think because they burn the beans. Doesn't matter for them because they are in the business (primarily) to sell sweet caffeine beverages.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 09:20PM

My first coffee drink was a Starbucks frappuccino. Then I tried some instant coffee that I had hidden in the back of my freezer so as not to offend my then-TBM husband. Those were interesting times indeed.

Then I had good coffee-- dark roast, black, french-pressed-- and I've never been able to stand anything else since. There's no reason to go messing up perfectly good coffee with cream and what-have-you. Of course, if it's crappy coffee, it will need all the help it can get.

:0)

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 11:31AM

Posted by: archaicoctober ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 12:42PM

Your on the right road! Give it a few years and you'll be like me, drinking 40 oz of black Chevron coffee before work.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:38PM

Or a grocery store, or Trader Joes. Found the best place to sample coffee is Trader Joes.

You'll probably not like it black, at least at first. Try some cream, or flavoring first.

You can buy small bags in the grocery stores to test at home. A small coffee pot will set you back $15 to $20 at WalMart.

I like mine mild, brewed at home in a small coffee pot with some heavy cream, added to the cup first. If it's too strong, I add some boiling water.

Can't stand Starbucks. Obscenely expensive. The beans are over roasted. It's all style and mixes and no real coffee except for the actual coffee of the day.

Posted by: YankeePedlar ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:37PM

Unless it's some kind of special coffee, it's best drunk with cream (or milk) and sugar (or sweetener).
I got spoiled by Cuban coffee in Florida: they drink an espresso, real strong, heavily laced with sugar, served in a tiny cup--"Cuban speed."
Or they serve it with hot milk (con leche). In either case it's a lot cheaper and IMO much, much, better than overpriced products like Starbuck's.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:25PM

mmmm cortadito. It's made with a different kind of sugar and the sugar is part of the brewing process.

Also, most cafe con leche is made with sweetened condensed milk, it's poured into the milk rather than the other way around.

Growing up in and spending my early working life in miami, I got a good education in this.

Posted by: YankeePedlar ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:59PM

Ah! You know then. Cafe cubano, el mejor en todo el mundo!

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:14PM

Work starts very early and often someone will offer to do a coffee run (keep in mind we're in moridor and he's one of two people out of the twenty in our department that's lds). He makes a huge deal about it and says that he's always hated the stuff and just doesn't see the appeal in it. He claims that the smell makes him sick and will pinch his nose or go to the bathroom when it's passed around.

Funny thing is, if someone just makes a pot in the break room and pours it into a mug he asks what smells so good! X-D

Posted by: Way Out ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:17PM

I had no problem chugging the coffee after my escape from the Morg. I like tea as well - my favorite is Stash's Double Bergamot Earl Gray.

Posted by: Molly Misanthrope ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:20PM

Local places that roast their own beans are the best. I know a place in South Bay, LA if anyone wants the recommendation.

Outside of that, try Seattle's Best or Tully's over Starbucks.

Vanilla or Caramel lattes are a good choice, as are mochas. Or get a drip coffee with steamed milk (cafe au lait) and sweeten it on your own. There's just something really nice about well-made brewed coffee with a touch of cream and sugar.

I'd try something like coffee flavored ice cream first though; some people really never get over the taste of coffee. If you like coffee flavored ice cream there's hope you can wean yourself to the over-sweetened lattes and then eventually to something like an Americano (one shot of espresso with hot water).

Date: October 19, 2010 08:08PM

McDonalds flavored iced coffees are good and cheap. My favorite is the hazelnut.

Posted by: samantha ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:12PM

I like McDonalds' coffee the best. At least out of the majority of coffees I've tried around my small town in Michigan. It doesn't have the burnt flavor a lot of coffees have.

I hate cream and sugar in my coffee...so if it doesn't tase good black I won't drink it.

I loved coffee and tea as a child and so when we joined the church I was very dissappointed that I couldn't drink it anymore.

Posted by: Searching Truth ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:19PM

Like many have said here, straight black coffee is bitter and tough to get down at first. In fact, when I first tried it about a year ago, I literally could not believe how bad it tasted.

I have quite a big sweet tooth, though, so I've had to go the route of doctoring up my coffee with LOTS of creamer, sugar, etc. to get it to be palatable. After having some cups like that, I recently tried black again, and still could not stand the taste.

As far as specific businesses go, I'm becoming quite an addict at Dutch Bros. I know a coffee "purist" probably wouldn't like it, but all their signature coffees are very good, IMO--probably because they're so doctored up, they don't taste a whole lot like coffee.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.