Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BabyTapir ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 08:45PM

This book is all about the end of the world in 2016. My parents are devoting way too much time and money to this. My uncle is holding prep meetings with his employees every Thursday.

It's getting way out of hand. Anyone else know about this book?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: L Tom Petty ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 08:54PM

I thought the TBMs had given up on this one awhile ago. People still fall for this nonsense?

Posted by: Baby Tapir ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 08:58PM

I haven't been on this site in a while, I didn't know that this was an old issue. WOW.

My dad is retiring earlier than he should, so he and my mother can prep. They're making huge financial decisions, and so is the rest of my extended family.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:16PM

I haven't heard about it...can someone provide info on what this is about? Is this a mormon book? I am surprised my extended family isn't all over this.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:48PM

I have heard rumors that the church is very concerned about the extremists, including some popular new self proclaimed prophets.

Date: August 26, 2015 09:58PM

I've been worried about this too. I've been wondering if they see this person "Spencer" as some sort of new prophet. Being the child of mormons is hard enough, I don't want them involved in some splinter group. Ugh.

Posted by: asleep ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 09:50PM

I've been waiting for someone to post about this topic. My in-laws are consumed by the belief that the end of the world will commence this September or the next. I know they've read this book, as well as ” The Great Gathering.” In addition, they rely on many other various ”unauthorized” sources, including internet blogs such as ” My Yeast Recipe.” That's right, my doomsday prepping in-laws are getting some of their inspired information on the last days from a website that is dedicated to alerting the uneducated to the poison that processed yeast is. The hypocrisy of this fact (specifically referencing the ”internet” for information) is another matter altogether. In the interest of brevity, I'll simply relay that it is all they think or talk about. We are constantly”warned” of the impending doom that we face. Most recently, we we're encouraged to empty our bank and retirement accounts to buy good and supplies. They've sold their house and used the proceeds to stock up on survival supplies themselves. They're also going to buy a 4X4 to flee to the mountains in (they believe that the church is going to send trucks out in the night to collect food storage and then tell the elect where to gather in the mountains). They're batshit crazy and I'm getting tired of it.

Date: August 26, 2015 09:56PM

It's extremely upsetting. My parents are making unwise financial and personal decisions because of this. Mom is speaking very cryptically about her plans and has been BEGGING me to move to Idaho to be with the family. They think ISIS is going to attack the US and will devastate us militarily. It would be funny if it weren't so harmful.

Date: August 26, 2015 10:29PM

It is upsetting. My brother and sister-in-law have four children who are being raised with this world-view (grandma and grandpa are on board too). For them, economic collapse will be the catalyst to the end. I've watched them set up their own economic collapse over a single summer. You're right; it's impossible to laugh about it because they are harming themselves.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 10:05PM

Let your mom know that this same "end of the world" nonsense gets promoted by some nut or other every couple of years -- and they're wrong every time. For the past 2,000 years or so at least.

And that ISIS, while a pain in the butt in the middle east, doesn't have ships or planes to attack us, and their entire "army" is about 20,000 or so people. One nuke and they would all disappear.

So hear fears aren't just unreasonable, they're insane.

Date: August 26, 2015 10:21PM

In fact, end of the world prophesies predate Jesus. Certainly, Christians have been in the habit of anticipating the return of Jesus and the end since his death. That's the one question I'd like to ask my in-laws: ” What makes your witness that the end is near any more valid than that of the countless believers before you?”

Posted by: vls ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:39PM

You seem to forget that the 9-11 plot was actually carried out by less that 20 individuals, using US planes.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 10:48PM

Well, living in Southern California, where we all waiting for The Big One, as well as floods and fires. I need to be, really be, ready for anything, but I certainly ain't gonna rely on a guy with "visions".....especially mormo-based wackiness.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:01PM

Okay, all together now…

The end of the world will not come in 2016. The prophets and apostles have said so. Your TBM families must listen or they'll be in apostasy.

First. Joseph Smith Himself said that Jesus cannot come in any year that a rainbow is seen. Anywhere. So if anyone sees a rainbow, you're safe for another year. Does your family think that no one will see a rainbow in 2016?

History of the Church, Vol. 6, Ch. 10, p. 254:

"I have asked of the Lord concerning His coming; and while asking the Lord, He gave a sign and said, In the days of Noah I set a bow in the heavens as a sign and token that in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come; but there should be seed time and harvest during that year: but whenever you see the bow withdrawn, it shall be a token that there shall be famine, pestilence, and great distress among the nations, and that the coming of the Messiah is not far distant."

To emphasize: "…in any year that the bow should be seen the Lord would not come…" If your folks have Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and they probably do, the quote is also found there, on pp. 340-41.

Second. Your folks sound like they probably would have been big fans of Boyd K. Packer.

Boyd K. Packer, October 2011 GC:

"Sometimes you might be tempted to think as I did from time to time in my youth: 'The way things are going, the world's going to be over with. The end of the world is going to come before I get to where I should be.' Not so! You can look forward to doing it right - getting married, having a family, seeing your children and grandchildren, maybe even great-grandchildren."

If your TBM folks have the November 2011 Ensign, and they most likely do, it's on p. 19. If they're prepping, then they're disobeying the direct counsel of BKP.

Date: August 26, 2015 11:21PM

Ah, yes. BKP. Trouble is that everything is subject to interpretation. In the case of my in-laws, they read between the lines by the spirit of discernment. In the case of this quote, BKP is referring to the millennium. You don't know that because you don't have the spirit.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:27AM

No, I guess I don't have the spirit. I have to hand it to your in-laws though, they're the wheat. They're the wheatiest of the wheat. They're so wheaty, their picture ought to be on a cereal box. Amber waves of grain, they are.

Except that the "end of the world," per JS, is the "end of the wicked," which occurs *before* the Big Mill. And if they have to read between BKP's lines, then they're essentially saying that BKP was too much of a wuss to talk straight & plain. That's not showing much faith in the Lordy's Anointed.

Besides, when did BKP ever need to have his talks read between the lines? I can scarcely imagine what the real hidden message of "For Young Men Only" might be.

Were your in-laws among the many Mormons who worked themselves up into a lather over the year 2000? If they were, how'd that work out for them?

Kolob: It's really strange to cast BKP in the role of the Voice of Reason, isn't it? Desperate measures and all that…

ETA: Hervey: In theory, I suppose you could. Or set up a weather-cam in Seattle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 12:32AM by Book of Mordor.

Date: August 27, 2015 02:44AM

I always considered them to be zealous. It was only in the last few months that I've found out that they are fanatical, or ”wheaty.” As far as I know, they didn't get anywhere near as caught up in the Y2K scare. This is more of a Mayan calender thing, with a Hebrew twist.

I'm completely with you on Packer. Unfortunately for them, they read into the remarks of all of the leaders of the church. I have a collection of generally innocuous quotes a mile long furnished by my sister-in-law that she swears, when read collectively, proves that the ”brethren” have been warning us to prepare for an immediate end to life as we know it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 02:48AM by asleep.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:25AM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 02:13AM

Book of Mordor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> in any year that
> the bow should be seen the Lord would not come;

I can honestly say I believe that.,

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:19PM

Mordor -- ironic that to perhaps convince mormons they're believing something crazy, you have to quote BKP, who was chock-full of crazy beliefs!
But it might just work :)

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:34PM

I mean the guy died back in 2012 and so now they have to deal with Denver Snuffer and Rock Waterman.

Anyway, just try convincing them that "copycats" of Joseph Smith have been going on since the beginning, from Hiriam Page and David Whitmer having seer stones...

To Richard Strang finding the Voorhees plates and translating them...

to Brian Mitchell kidnapping to Elizabeth Smart...or the Lafferty Brothers and their story in "Under the Banner of Heaven".

See this is what happens when LDS incorporated doesn't have social events or activities like road shows, dances, carnivals, Homes for Humanity, baseball/basketball/bowling, book-reading clubs, etc.... Mormons will start reading all of the nonsensical past Journal of Discourses, History of the Church, Hugh Nibley papers, etc... All of a sudden they realize that the corporation is no longer the church it was back in 1830 (or for that matter, 1890, 1910, 1950, 1990, and so on) and they'll want to try to bring it back to Pioneer times? Nauvoo times? Kirtland times? Palmyra times? Who knows?

They just miss the Miracles and the pageantry and magic of what was Mormonism. Its prophecies, principles, priesthood were so unique and powerful; now it's a flaccid piece of fluff that couldn't get any work done if it wanted. The whole core is rotten, rotten, rotten and the people don't know what to do.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: August 26, 2015 11:54PM

dydimus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> They just miss the Miracles and the pageantry and
> magic of what was Mormonism. Its prophecies,
> principles, priesthood were so unique and
> powerful; now it's a flaccid piece of fluff that
> couldn't get any work done if it wanted. The
> whole core is rotten, rotten, rotten and the
> people don't know what to do.

Well, they can save dead people, with vicarious baptisms and unmentionable secret handshakes, and they are "hastening the work" (.......even if they have abandoned the idea of Jesus returning any time very soon)

That is pretty impressive, right? .....ain't it enough ?????

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:25AM

Geez, just how many doomsday stories are OUT there?

Hmmmph. I was reading about when Sidney Rigdon moved east and tried to get his own church started. It was actually not far from here, I was surprised to read.

But the church kind of died the day after the members had spent an entire day on their knees waiting for the second coming that was supposed to happen - but didn't.

And on Youtube I see a newly revised date for when THE PLANET NIBIRU (bum, bum-bum BuMMMMMMM) is supposed to crash into the earth. You know, the one that "the government" is covering up. It has failed to appear quite a few times now.

I guess someone always stands to make some money or get some attention from writing books, running websites, selling survival gear and such. Very worrisome to see loved ones get caught up in it though!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:37AM

or at least Hugh Nibley.

You know how Giorgio got his education in physical therapy... Well that led him to be the "Expert to Turn to" on all things Alien.

https://tomverenna.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/giorgio-tsoukalos-on-the-preston-and-steve-show/

Posted by: celeste ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 12:30AM

Oh dear. I am so glad I am out of there. This is the precise kind of thing that my impressionable, easily-manipulated self would have bought into completely. Given my penchant for anxiety, this would be all I need to make me curl up in a little ball and drool. Instead, I say, everybody just calm the heck down!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 01:31AM

My father was an unhinged Mormon prepper. He built underground cement bunkers in CA. We had hidden closets of guns. We ate food storage for a decade. The insanity never ended. I thought If I had to live locked up underground with these nutty people, I'd rather go out in the big xray!

What about living a good life and not cowering in fear? Aren't they hiding behind Jesus and SLC? Being prepared for emergencies is commendable. Living in fear is a sad waste of time, and sleep.

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 09:32AM

"I thought If I had to live locked up underground with these nutty people, I'd rather go out in the big xray!"

Thanks for a great morning laugh, Ex-Sis!

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: March 21, 2016 12:59PM

with Christopher Walken and Sissy Spacek. They were locked in their underground bunker for 30+ years, she drank to cope, and screamed at the thought of spending even more time down there.

http://akas.imdb.com/title/tt0124298/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Posted by: mickeymousemormon ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 02:02AM

Doomsday stuff really makes me snap. I grew up with my dad leading a small group of family members and friends as an elite Mormon group who, based on revelation and channeling spirits, we are going to find Jaradite gold and artifacts and use them to build Havens to protect the righteous from the devastating effects of the second coming.

I grew up on that crap starting at 8 years old. It caused major anxiety issues of which I still struggle with today. Those scars and fear run deep. I never thought I would get married, go to college, have kids. I actually didn't want to get married or have kids, because I didn't want to make my children go through something like that. I didn't want a wife, because the emotional attachment to her would tear me apart if she died before me. I am a very anti-social person because I didn't want to get close to anyone if they died. I didn't want to get hurt.

I am now 40 years old. I know the church is false, but the emotional and psychological scars that these beliefs left on me are deep and are still with me. I do not have a meaningful relationship with my father to this day, because, even after 30 years of searching he still looking for his beloved treasure. He's in the twilight of his life, and he has no meaningful relationship with any of his kids or wife because he spends all of his free time still searching. He doesn't get the real treasure of life is building meaningful relationships and Learning to love. So when I see any book or movie talking about religious end times, it really makes me mad because it reminds me of the trauma that I went through as a child and even into my adult years and how much it's ruined the relationship that I have with my father. It just baffles me that after 30 years without finding anything he's still looking. Now that's the definition of insanity.

We seem to come up with a new doomsday theory every two years. What is it with human nature that drives us to find or predict our own doom and destruction? If we spend as much time and energy on finding a cure for cancer that we do focusing on doomsday events, maybe we could actually find a cure for cancer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 02:29AM by mickeymousemormon.

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 02:15AM

During family prayer, did he ever offer to pay extra tithing/bless the live of others...? Did your mother ever get tired of the entire situation? He thought the gold was in Utah?

There was a weird dream mine near Spanish Fork... crazy tales about BoM gold in the nearby hills in tunnels the Lamanites built...

I'm sorry you went through such senseless stress. Parents are often oblivious to the damage they inflict.

Posted by: mickeymousemormon ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 02:51AM

The gold and artifacts are "on" our family owned ranch in Idaho. So, every weekend my dad trucks on up there and surrounds himself with sycophants and dig for his buried gold. We didn't do family prayer much. We did a lot of meditation with crystals to enhance the spiritual energy. Yes, we had magic rocks too, just like Jospeh Smith <sigh>.

I am very familiar with the "Dream Mine" in Spanish Fork. I believe it was a major influence to my father's beliefs.

I've thought about when my father dies and the sadness that I feel is that he never took me hunting, played sports, played golf, etc. He'll even miss family functions, birthdays, graduations, etc to hunt for his treasure. I so want to say "Dad, the Jaradites weren't real so that means that there is no Jaradite gold." The sad thing is he and a family friend see Jaradite complexes all over the place, much like Joseph Smith could point out a pile of rocks and say "Hey, hey, now see this pile of rocks. That's Adam's alter to God and this is the Garden of Eden." Riiiiiggghhhttt!!!!!!

I can thank my father for one thing though. It was his crazy beliefs that paralleled Joseph Smith's so much that it helped me see through the fabrication and lies. He even thought he was to restore the "Holy" use of polygamy. Seeing the parallels helped me see how crazy Joseph's beliefs were and the motivation for those beliefs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 03:14AM by mickeymousemormon.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 08:37AM

I downloaded a sample of the book from Amazon and at once was reminded of Michael Newton and his so-called "case studies".

And BOTH of these guys remind me a lot of Joseph Smith himself, who wrote (or co-wrote) a book that taught his own philosophy by creating a whole fictional story around it, and passing it off as if it all actually happened. I would call all of them PARABLE WRITERS.

I only got a few pages in, so I don't know his whole story, but I find it very hard to believe that if a sincere person actually received honest to goodness revelation about life-altering events to come, that his logical next step would be to SELL THAT INFORMATION. There are plenty of ways he could have shared it at no cost.

And yet, it appears that I'd need to fork out at least $6.99 to find out all that stuff that God revealed to Spencer. God works in mysterious ways - and it always costs money.

P.S - I LOVE how Spencer supposedly MUST keep his identity private and has absolutely already passed on EVERYTHING he had to say in the book. In other words, no, Spencer is not available for interviews.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 09:34AM by seekyr.

Posted by: Mitch McDeere ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 09:15AM

A lot of the preoccupation with Doomsday, End Times, Second Coming, etc has to do with a generalized yet more and more apparent desperation coming over ChurchCo.

Like Dydimus remarked already, the fun activities are gone, yet the pressure for more time, money and commitment is relentless.

How to reconcile all this to the now correlated Mormon Mind?
Start studying and believing even more fiction! Go to "workshops" and "seminars" put on by hucksters and ex-mental patients.

The whole Prepper thing is one of the few areas where TBMs can actually have some fun, be creative, speculate beyond the confines of 4th grade level "lessons" and justify it as inspired and ChurchCo approved.

I know some people that are big time off grid, self sufficient homesteaders who actually walk the walk concerning a lot of these matters. They are all intelligent, accomplished and prosperous people who would be successful in whatever they put their minds to. They are fun, not fanatics.None of them are Mormon.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 27, 2015 09:50AM

My sister-in-law's parents were like this. Both very dyed in wool Mormons, who thought the world was going to end real soon, and they were stockpiling things, including arms to defend themselves with - in their Idaho country 'fortress.' Which was really nothing other than a gigantic house with an in-law apartment my brother had built there to house his large family, and wife's parents.

They used to ask me to come and live there with them, on the same homestead in Idaho - to protect myself and my children from the coming apocalypse.

And then they both died from cancer - she went first. Lung cancer for her that metastisized (she had never smoked a day in her life.) Pancreatic for him. Several years apart, both died years ago.

Their dream of being in utopian Idaho came to a rather abrupt end with that. And so did the end of the world as they knew it.

They put everything they had into that "dream." Wasted time and money they might've spent on enjoying what they had left of their retirement years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 09:53AM by amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.