Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 27, 2022 11:27PM

"The impact of coffee subtypes on incident cardiovascular disease, arrhythmias, and mortality: long-term outcomes from the UK Biobank"

https://academic.oup.com/eurjpc/advance-article/doi/10.1093/eurjpc/zwac189/6704995

"Conclusion

Decaffeinated, ground, and instant coffee, particularly at 2–3 cups/day, were associated with significant reductions in incident CVD and mortality. Ground and instant but not decaffeinated coffee was associated with reduced arrhythmia."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2022 11:31PM by bradley.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Doug ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:13AM

My son learned in pharmacy school that we all have a n internal system known a apoptosis which causes the body to recognize and attack cancer cells. However, in the presence of caffeine, that system goes dormant and ceases to function. The professor of his class said that the scientist who discovered this might win the Nobel prize

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:59AM

The science says pretty much the opposite of that.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 03:23AM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5547974/

"Caffeine is one of the most widely consumed substances found in beverages, and has demonstrated anticancer effects in several types of cancer.

The results indicated that caffeine treatment significantly suppressed GC cell growth and viability and induced apoptosis by activating the caspase-9/−3 pathway. Furthermore, the anticancer effects of caffeine appeared to be sustained, as the caspase-9/−3 pathway remained active following caffeine withdrawal. In conclusion, caffeine may function as a sustained anticancer agent by activating the caspase-9/−3 pathway, which indicates that it may be useful as a therapeutic candidate in gastric cancer."

https://ar.iiarjournals.org/content/32/9/3643

"Caffeine inhibits DNA repair by inactivation of the cell cycle checkpoints, resulting in cancer cell death. Conversely, caffeine also independently inhibits the proliferation of, and induces apoptosis of tumour cells."

https://www.jkms.org/pdf/10.3346/jkms.2002.17.5.674

"These results suggest that high-dose of caffeine induces
apoptosis in human neuroblastoma cells, probably by increasing the caspase-3 enzyme activity"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/24238371_Caffeine_Induces_Cell_Death_via_Activation_of_Apoptotic_Signal_and_Inactivation_of_Survival_Signal_in_Human_Osteoblasts

Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 04:10PM

Ya gotta die of somethin’

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:34AM

What about coffee enemas ?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 03:28AM

"The best part of waking up is Folger's up your butt"

Still one of the funniest lines ever posted at RfM.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 09:08AM

Not for TBMs. Risk of drowning. Now the WoW makes sense.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 10:28AM

Apparently Russ is sneaking three to four cups a day then?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 11:59AM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 12:38PM

Coffee makes you want to live longer.

A perfect cappuccino is as close to heaven as you are going to get.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 12:59PM

So does exercise.

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 02:55PM

My doctor took me off some of my meds. I have lost weight anyway and things have gotten better, but she took me off half my RA medication and some others, and it still isn't better. So I checked on line as to what helps. Three cups of coffee a day. I don't drink coffee. I might start. I'd have to drink it fast.

My bp and cholesterol are under control. Off metformin. And I take very little insulin. I need to give up the ice cream that I've been eating lately. I'm under a lot of stress and it is a go-to for me. I haven't eaten much ice cream in years until the past month.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 28, 2022 09:44PM

I never got the habit, when taking breakfast at a restaurant I opt for oJ.

the scant memory I have of drinking coffee from long, long ago is that wasn’t tasty at all but bitter; how anyone can / could enjoy it completely escapes me..

On cold winters I like store chocolate milk with whipping cream.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: September 30, 2022 04:01AM

My take on coffee is very much like my view of cooked spinach as a child. It tastes exceptionally vile, and it ain't goin' down my throat. I don't care who likes it or not.

Posted by: blackcoatsdaughter ( )
Date: September 30, 2022 08:13AM

My experience with coffee once I left Mormonism was to find easy, low calorie ways to boost caffeine in my diet for my ADHD. I used to feel badly for putting so much sugar in it just to make it taste like anything other than poop water(3-4 spoons of sugar). But that's actually how you drink it. Some folks are ridiculous putting 5+ spoons of sugar and syrup and cream and stuff in it. Which is fine for a treat but I can't imagine doing that every morning.

Anyway, for me it's simply "put this in my body so I can get some work done and focus today." I suppose for other people who have normal reactions to caffeine, they get something else out of it.

One I still don't get, likely due to my ADHD and autism is beer. I suspect it is the social atmosphere and bar culture that appeals to people who like it. That's what they get out of it, which being very solitary, I don't want those things. I view alcohol with the same functionality as coffee; the object is to feel that high of "drunk" yes? The drink puts that affect on you. So I tend to prefer higher proof like whisky or something that at least tastes fun like a creme liqueur. When I've mentioned this, people have told me beer has a slower effect, allowing you to get a minor buzz over a longer period of time(more conducive to hanging out in a head state with other people and encouraging that energy). But in the end, just like coffee, aside from their practical functions(the goal, what you get out of taking them), beer and alcohol taste bad.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 30, 2022 09:56AM

Coffee doesn't. Lifestyle might. Lots of genes doing different things in different human beings. If your lifestyle and your genetics make you prone to cancer and other ills coffee could help. There might be better lifestyle changes...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: September 30, 2022 03:19PM

I drank my first cup of coffee at age 17. Loved it. My two semesters at Ricks the next year was tough without my morning and afternoon coffee.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2022 03:20PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.