Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 02:41AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Concrete Zipper ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 07:54AM

I was about to say that I never did initiatory work at the Salt Lake temple, but then I clicked on the link.

CZ (not oily now, cuz I just showered)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 10:47AM

Well, it's good to know you will not be the Stinky Boy in class today :)

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 09:07AM

5 hours late. Amtrak s*cks.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 27, 2023 10:32AM

I hope the CHSR project is operational soon;
also, I wish the West Coast could have an auto-train from Washington (Seattle or Everett?) to Cali LA or SD...

It will be very sad if Congress pulls back on Amtrak funding !!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 12:05AM

Looks like someone doesn't like amtrak by tar and feathering the locomotives.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 02:22PM

Another misleading subject line! Like your post recently about polar bears in Wales.

Why do you insist on doing this? To those who frequent this board, "CZ" refers to our beloved moderator Concrete Zipper. And "gets oiled in Salt Lake" recalls the initiatory anointing in the temple. Why do you seem to want to mislead? If you were honest, you would have said in the subject line "California Zephyr"

I don;t trust you any more.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 05:07PM

...except not to believe in any ghawds... ;-)

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 04:00PM

I love these train postings. Yesterday I clicked the link and watched it. Then I took a train ride from Chicago across Kansas, through Colorado, across Utah, Nevada, and into California. Then I took a train ride all the way down the West Coast. I even had enough time to ride the Silver-ton tourist train in Durrango Colorado.

After the train rides I learned how to repair train tracks and how to replace train wheels. I also learned about train tracks that buckle in the heat.

Next I watched trains plowing snow with rotary plows and busting through snow banks.

Why do trains often run with the engines back to back to each other? What are narrow gauge rail lines? It's all so interesting to watch and learn. Thanks Mr. Dave.

Date: January 28, 2023 04:30PM

rail engines are connected to operate in either direction; on certain routes they can use tracks to change directions, but not all.
The best visibility is from the short hood end so when there's not a 3 leg track set-up (called a 'wye'), they change which end the locomotive engineer operates from.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2023 10:00PM by GNPE.

Date: January 28, 2023 10:19PM

another note about long-distance passenger trains---
Long Distance trains have 'train crews' of an engineer (+ rarely a 'fireman' who is more of an apprentice engineer) + a conductor & brake man (Amtrak: Assistant Conductor(s)) & dining & coach assistant(s).

train crews don't stay with the train (Example Empire Builder from Seattle/Portland to Chicago), they change crews about every 300 miles (more or less) whereas the other crew stays with the train...
the 'cabin crew' members sleep at night & trains often used to have a combination baggage & dormitory car for after their shifts were over.

Since Amtrak / 1970, cabin crews (usually?) don't have a dorm car, they sleep in spaces that would otherwise be available to paying passengers. This is 'progress' that reduces the number of cars in the consist (fewer engines required & less fuel consumed), but reduces space available for paying 'revenue' passengers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2023 10:20PM by GNPE.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 08:26PM

That anointing was not with olive oil and likely it was not followed by a blessing, probably more of a cursing.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 08:36PM

The locomotive was masturbating and blew it’s load.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 28, 2023 08:40PM

A nice train ride is Los Angeles to Seattle on Amtrak. Be sure to get a cabin on the ocean an side.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 29, 2023 11:41PM

Trains like CZ a little too much

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 29, 2023 09:26PM

I immediately knew that CZ stood for the California Zephyr given that Dave likes trains so much.

My dad was a big railroad enthusiast/train afficionado. He made his own train videos and I share them on a Y/T channel as a way to honor his love for trains.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: January 31, 2023 04:02PM

how you make a concrete zipper work.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.