Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: February 09, 2023 12:00AM

A disaster struck Turkey and parts of Syria this week.

Ten thousands of people have lost their lives. Cities are in ruins. Families are gone and emotional trauma is massive.

An hour flight time from here a war is going on in Ukraine.

Millions of people are out of livelihood because of flooding last year.

Millions of people are starving in Yemen.

Hundreds of thousands of mothers can not brestfeed their small children in eastern Africa.

At the same time I am sitting here with irrational worries because I am in the hands of a shady credit bank that I am not quite sure will send me an invoice. My debt is, converted to dollar from swedish krona, around 2 american dollars. The shady company will make more money out of me failing to send me the invoice and charging a fee for my so called delaying of payment.

Why do I have the natural privilege to be so obsessed by miniscule worries? To be entitled to worry about $2 when the world is in such a mess? Why do my developed society arrange so futile and shameless business solutions instead of setting higher standards?

Is it human nature to feel entitled? To worry in the middle of the land of plenty?

Prosperity is not easy because it test character and can easily establish norms that are unresonable.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 09, 2023 01:28AM

To answer one of your questions: "Is it human nature to feel entitled?"  Yes!  I do it every day!

I imagine trying to make sense of things is like spending time doing silly make-work, like sorting buttons at the used button store.

when you sort the jar full of buttons, when you're done, there's another jar of buttons!  Life is nothing but an unending series of button jars...in a way.

Or maybe there is a real purpose to life, but if so, I'm not going to listen to me until you explain dogs, cats, and pet pot-bellied pigs.  And what about just giving up...?  I suppose some humans do give up on sorting the buttons.

What is success?  It would be lovely if being rich, pretty, or a good manipulator defined success, assuming we could agree on a definition for that word, success!  What if you lived a life where you couldn't even imagine the feeling of success...

There is likely no certainty regarding who shares a particular definition, along with the possibility/probability that our definitions likely change as we get older, not to mention even day-to-day. (Instead of 'get older,' I almost said 'become mature,' but that's another variable!)

What if we define 'success' as simply eating well?  Nah, we can't even do that because what's 'well' in the phrase "eating well"?  Appetites can kill!

I did a bad thing (from the majority perspective) when I posted about the earthquake in Turkey.  I blocked the 'normal' outpouring of emotion that would have normally occurred.  I don't regret it, but I recognize that it was a shithead thing to do, and I won't do it again.

Apology aside, either nothing is irrational, or everything is irrational...  Except when there's a mix!

If there is some form of judgment rendered on the quality, or lack thereof, of our mortal existences, we literally do not have a concrete, definitive, provable idea of what the judges are looking for.  Sure, many nominations have been made for a set of standards, but nothing is carved in stone by the finger of ghawd, despite Charleston Heston's portrayal of Moses in "The Ten Commandments."

I acknowledge that most people have a set of standards against which they weigh/judge others (harshly) and themselves (tenderly), but there's little consistency among us, except for the 'harshly' and 'tenderly' parts.

I've been working lately on the concept of a judgment based on how many enemies one has.  How many people, when they think of you, would be fine with something bad happening to you?  You know, on a scale of 1 (eh...) to 10 (finally!!!).  

How many Turkish citizens are thinking, "...finally, that SOB Hamza had a building collapse on him!"  They may be only a few, but I'm pretty sure a few Turks are finding a silver lining.

I've had a couple of people in my life who would be happy if I'd been in Turkey for the earthquake while still capable of feeling sorry for all the victims about whose lives they literally knew nothing.  And in a couple of weeks they will never think of them again.

Finally, just because horrible things are going on in the world, it doesn't mean you should feel any negative emotions about how it bugs the hell out of you that those rat bastards at the shady credit bank are looking to get away with padding their earnings by jerking you around regarding giving you notice about when and how to make your payment.  

"F" those rat bastards och hästen de red in på!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.