Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: librarian ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 05:09PM

I am currently reading Brandon Sanderson’s epic fantasy Stormlight Archives.
After reading this board since 1998, I think I have spotted some similarities between his writing and the LDs dogma.
I was amused to find magic rocks, men who become angel types with doing good, (Radiants),
different grades of holiness, many gods, persons able to raise the nearly dead, many bloody battles, and flaming swords
Swords seem to be the favorite weapon for Brandon.
Could this be a coincidence or is he inordinately influenced by the BOM and Discourses for his plot lines?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: July 27, 2020 05:13PM

Oh I forgot that the hero changes from brown eyed to
light eyes which happens after he sees the error of his ways.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 08:48PM

Never heard of him, but you have a good:

Brandon Sanderson was born on December 19, 1975, in Lincoln, Nebraska.[2][3] He has a younger brother, Jordan, and two younger sisters, Jane and Lauren. He became a passionate reader of high fantasy novels while a teenager, and he made several early attempts at writing his own stories.[4] After graduating from high school in 1994, he went to Brigham Young University (BYU) as a biochemistry major. He took a two-year leave of absence from 1995 to 1997 to serve as a volunteer missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and was assigned to serve in South Korea.[4]

After completing his missionary service, Sanderson returned to BYU and changed his major to English literature. While an undergraduate, Sanderson took a job as a night desk clerk at a local hotel in Provo, Utah, as it allowed him to write while working.[4] One of Sanderson's roommates at BYU was Ken Jennings, who nearly ten years later became famous during his 74-game win streak on the American game show Jeopardy!.[5] Sanderson graduated with a B.A. in English in 2000, then continued on as a graduate student at BYU, receiving an M.A. in English with an emphasis in creative writing in 2004.[6] While at BYU, Sanderson was on the staff of Leading Edge, a semi-professional speculative fiction magazine published by the university, and served as its editor-in-chief for one year.

In 2006, Sanderson married Emily Bushman, a fellow English major and teacher,[7] who later became his business manager.[4] They have three sons and reside in American Fork, Utah.[8]

-wikipedia

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 08:51PM

He has a younger brother named Jordan?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 09:01PM

It's Utah, who doesn't?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: July 27, 2020 09:03PM

Well, I guess Utah isn't Alberta after all. . .

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 03:35AM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> In 2006, Sanderson married Emily Bushman, a fellow
> English major and teacher,[7] who later became his
> business manager.[4] They have three sons and
> reside in American Fork, Utah.[8]
>
> -wikipedia

IF Emily is anything like Richard Bushman then she could be as full of LIES, lame ass excuses, and Bull $hit as a professional MORmON apologist

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 07:57AM

Emily is not one of his daughters. I have no idea if there is a family relationship, but if so, it is not a direct one.

Date: July 27, 2020 10:24PM

Thanks forthe info, I did not read wiki.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: July 28, 2020 08:40AM

I gather LDS writers are very prominent in writing fantasy stories. Gee, how did that come to be?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 25, 2023 08:12AM

I didn't take that away at all from this particular article. Instead, he seemed to understand that not everyone is going to be a fan. And the article's author pointed out that J.K. Rowling and Stephen King have also taken criticism for using similar writing styles. Sanderson also seems to realize that Mormonism is not terribly popular among the general public, and that he may be taking some hits for that. He seems more self-aware than most.

I think that fantasy authors fully realize that their genre will appeal to some, but not others.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 08:34PM

I wonder if he’s tithing. ???

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: March 26, 2023 08:41PM

Much prefer Cael Sanderson.
Heber City, Utah native who wrestled for Iowa State University and went 159-0, 4 NCAA titles and 4 Outstanding Wrestler awards with that record.

Then Olympic Gold.

Started coaching at Iowa State and then moved to Penn State University. At penn State he has led his team to 10 NCAA titles in 14 seasons - with NO NCAA championship in 2020 due to Covid.

Yep, He's a Mormon. But he is a winner on the mat and as a Coach. Could beat up all the 12 at one time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.