Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: March 28, 2023 12:51PM

Talk number 1 was a about how an older man joined the church. It was interesting but really not a spiritual uplifting experience as it was all about his ego and the Bishopric thought this would uplift members. It was a story with really no depth or insight.

Then the high councilman talk. He started off talking to the primary children in a primary teacher's voice. He read a book with a French accent about a little boy buying a loaf of French Bread. That was terrible. Then he concluded by saying "what if this was a story about Jesus and a French loaf of bread." He talked about Jesus and what he would do with a French accent. I found it insulting to my intelligence. I felt it diminished the divinity of Jesus. It was BAD!!!!!!! If I had not been with my wife I would have walked out as I told my feeling about Jesus very close to my heart. This approach violated that and this from the Stake High Council. If this is what is being taught to primary kids then the Church is grooming a generation that will not have any respect nor will they hold the Savior as Divine. One last thought and this was bad on my part. He looks like he was into little kids. I saw him leave the building and he had that look. I told my wife I will not be attending with her for a while and explained my reasons. She thought it was an okay talk. That was the end of our discussion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 28, 2023 01:03PM

Sometimes you just can't subject yourself to that stuff. It's mind numbing at best and infuriating that they think that is important.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 28, 2023 02:35PM

Mormons are not much into the divinity of Jesus. That’s why Easter is not much of a big deal for them. They are all about Heavenly Father(™).

The “Primary voice” thing would set my teeth on edge, but I don’t think the content would have bothered me. But then I don’t see Jesus or Heavenly Father as divine.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 06:49PM

As a kid I always thought of Easter as being more about a ham dinner than Jesus. A real meat dinner happened mainly on Sunday and ham was only on Easter so it was a treat for me.

I have a sister that talks with the primary voice. When my wife met her years ago she asked me why my sister talked like that....so I had to explain it to her.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: March 28, 2023 05:00PM

Jesus is less in Mormon theology than the Father since he was created by the Father and one of his wives.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 28, 2023 05:12PM

Jesus has a Spirit World mother, along with Mary, his temporal mother...

What are the chances that he's spoiled?

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 28, 2023 08:59PM

Ha!

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: March 28, 2023 08:48PM

Jesus and the French Accent is very Mormon.

"Adieu" is in the Book of Mormon. Obviously the people of Jesus knew French so it would be normal for him, as savior of all and taking on himself the sins of all - to know French and have the French Accent. Without it how can he communicate with the French speaking people? Even those in Quebec, Canada.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 29, 2023 02:43PM

That whole “adieu” complaint about the BoM is just stupid.

First of all, it is an English word, that originated with the French, which is true for roughly a third of English words. Spell check doesn’t choke on it. English dictionaries have entries for it.

Even if adieu were just a French word, having it in the BoM doesn’t prove that the Nephites spoke French any more than having “and it came to pass” in the book proves that they spoke English.

All it proves is that JS knew the word. Give the whole “adieu” thing a rest.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 06:22PM

It is my go to first wordle guess.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 01, 2023 02:42AM

Heh. Mine is scram. It’s not the best, but it’s serviceable.

Posted by: Mordor, not logged in ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 06:36PM

You're right. "Adieu" is the weakest argument against the BOM that I know of.

But Smith did imply that the Nephites had some knowledge of English when he wrote that the name "Mormon" means "more good." According to Smith, the "Mor" element *is* the English word "more" and nothing else.

A big shelf crack on my mission.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 29, 2023 01:52PM

The story of Jesus and the bagets and fishiness.

Posted by: One ( )
Date: March 29, 2023 10:52PM

"having it in the BoM doesn’t prove that the Nephites spoke French any more than having “and it came to pass” in the book proves that they spoke English."

Sure, it does.

Just like the Book of Mormon proves American Indians are really Jewish immigrants and dark skin is a curse so they won't be attractive to White and Delightsome people.

Posted by: I ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 05:19AM

Don't listen

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 05:57PM

I did a double take when I read the title of the thread.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 05:58PM

SM in SM seems redundant, does it not?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.