Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 03:55PM

‘Tis the season of mission reunions. My group, from the late 1960s, have one today. They seem to do this every 5 years or so, Brazilian dinner, introductions/updates/testimonies in English peppered with Portuguese words. The usual Mo stuff

They sent out I believe four email entreaties asking people to let them know if they would or would not attend, or were unsure.

About 50 are attending. About 50 are not or unsure. 220ish did not reply.

Seems to me rude not to reply. All that is required is a one sentence email response. However, the level of non-response makes me wonder how many are inactive or ex?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 04:01PM

My mission was a prison camp and the warden divided to conquer. As a result, none of us ever organized a reunion. It would have felt like so many Uyghurs gathering to commemorate their shared time in a Chinese re-education camp.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 05:30PM

... leave it to a lady to appreciate the effects of a knee to the gonads...

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 01, 2023 01:18AM

Which Mission ?

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 04:16PM

I don't recall any mission reunions after I did my time and was released. New England, 1970 - 1972, Paul Dunn, that part of my life disappeared and I never looked back.

I just googled "mormon mission reunions" and found a list of all mission reunions on Deseret News. There was a listing for Massachusetts - Boston but the reunion was slated for a different time frame.

Either way, I am not interested in attending something that I loathed with so much disdain and contempt.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 04:23PM

"Seems to me rude not to reply."

If I got any email from the Mormons, I would not respond. I don't think that's rude at all, if people wanted a reunion, they would have stayed in touch.

Date: March 31, 2023 04:36PM

The organizers have everyone’s email and they are in infrequent touch. They did ask if people wanted to be on their email list. I opted in. They send out announcements about MP deaths, church job openings in Brazil, some volunteer, some paid (ranch manger), RM tours of Brazil (see the latest Brazilian temple!)

I went to one of the reunions several decades ago. That was enough for me. I was already ex at that point, but was curious about where people were in life. I neglected to point out that I was an exmo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2023 04:38PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 04:54PM

“The level of non-response makes me wonder how many are inactive or ex?”

Or dead. I suppose the dead are inactive, but still members until 110 years after their birth.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 05:01PM

While I don't think they're officially verboten, I don't think the current regime under Nelson considers them to be viable to his rebranding of the church, hence they're not really sanctioned. Many of the google hits lead to an incomplete Deseret News article from 1999, another has a church article from 1998. There's even an exmo link from 2021 that leads to a blank page- No more missionary reunions.

I think the current leaders are afraid that the ones participating in these reunions may bring their "I know the church is false and has been lying about it for years" testimonies.

While they will never publicly admit it, many church leaders already know that sending young people on these mandated missions only hastens their decision to leave the church.

Date: March 31, 2023 05:28PM

My mission doesn't exist anymore and we're now lumped into the Mexico-South mission on Mission.net.  But as a source for current information, this site now appears quite moribund.

In searching around, I found that someone uploaded two documents to the Google cloud: photos of ALL the missionaries who served during my MP's benevolent reign and then an excel document with info on all the MPs and missionaries who served in the Mexican Mission between 1940 and 1970, when it ceased to exist.

It has each missionary's service time, email, home address, and phone number ... except for the last 11 names; it was just their names!  No dates of service, or anything else, except that two of them had an email address, with the annotation that neither was good.

My photo looks pretty good!  But the excel doc lists me as a Jr.  How rude!  And since no one ever knew how to contact me, the latest update, in 2020, continued to be all blanks, other than time in service.

Looking at all the photos was ... interesting.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 11:26PM

Is it the one where you’re wearing white tube socks?

Date: March 31, 2023 11:27PM

Did you ever see the photo that Ms. Lot is referring to?

Date: March 31, 2023 11:27PM

I demand that you repost the link, Jesus.

Date: March 31, 2023 11:28PM

Think of the children.

Date: March 31, 2023 11:28PM

But you know how shy I am!!!!

Date: March 31, 2023 11:29PM

You're just afraid of giving more RfMers heart attacks.

Live dangerously.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 07:00PM

I wonder if anyone showed up with a Brazilian butt lift.

Date: March 31, 2023 07:08PM

Date: March 31, 2023 07:09PM

Thank God for that preposition.

Date: March 31, 2023 07:14PM

Date: March 31, 2023 07:17PM

"With" is just fine, Jesus.

Date: March 31, 2023 10:33PM

I generally avoid getting "a Brazilian".

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 31, 2023 11:37PM

I know someone who waxes his Balzac.

~50% of the board is now cringing and crossing their legs.

Date: March 31, 2023 10:39PM

Somebody mentioned that missionary reunions do not appear to be smiled upon by the powers that be. I suppose that is true. I remember when there were lots of reunions announced in the local papers and whatnot.

Or maybe the announcements are all done online now. Whatever the case, putting together a meal and program for nearly a hundred people is more trouble than I'd be willing to go to.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.