Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 08:27PM

Nephi becomes a man
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865638713/Nephi-becomes-a-man.html

"In a world that sends so many false and destructive messages to young men about what it really means to be a man, the scriptures are a powerful source of light and truth, providing stirring examples of what it means to be a man and what the process is of becoming man."

"Follow the spirit."

"As Nephi went by night toward the house of Laban, he discovered Laban drunk in the street. The Spirit urged Nephi to kill Laban. After many long struggles in his own mind and with the Spirit of God, Nephi took Laban’s sword and cut off his head."

"Significantly, Nephi attributed his ability to hold Zoram and convince him with a covenant to not flee to the fact that he had now become a man"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mr. Inactive ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 08:49PM

Why not? Don't cartoon characters often do violent things?

Date: October 12, 2015 08:53PM

This Deseret News story made me sick.

Date: October 12, 2015 09:03PM

I know what you mean, but what do you expect from a paper that gives you a weeking LDS Inc. insert?

Date: October 12, 2015 09:03PM

"weekly"

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 06:32PM

Funny thing, the MORmON church makes me sick.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 08:54PM

The BoM meant to say that Nephi circumcised the inebriated Laban. So it wasn't the big head. A common error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2015 08:54PM by donbagley.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 10:00PM

I didn't realize that Syria was so full of "men" these days! (This article is repulsive!)

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: October 12, 2015 11:49PM

What a horrible article! Does the idiot not comprehend what he is saying? Can he really be so stupid? Follow the spirit blindly, absorbed in your own self righteousness. If the spirit leads you to murder helpless people, go for it. This is god's will!

Yes, that certain is a worthwhile message to share with today's young men. It's just what our society needs most. Confirmation that to be a real man you should follow the voices in your head and kill, steal, whatever. Just follow what the spirit tells you!

Every day I feel more and more stunned by what the Mormon church really represents.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 11:22AM

My sentiments exactly!

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 06:41PM

peculiargifts Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------

> Every day I feel more and more stunned by what the
> Mormon church really represents.

Everyday, I feel more and more stunned that the MORmON church really exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ktfQ8b_-rs

Posted by: Margie ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 01:10AM

michaelm (not logged in) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nephi becomes a man
> http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865638713/Nephi
> -becomes-a-man.html
>
> "In a world that sends so many false and
> destructive messages to young men about what it
> really means to be a man, the scriptures are a
> powerful source of light and truth, providing
> stirring examples of what it means to be a man and
> what the process is of becoming man."
>
> "Follow the spirit."
>
> "As Nephi went by night toward the house of Laban,
> he discovered Laban drunk in the street. The
> Spirit urged Nephi to kill Laban. After many long
> struggles in his own mind and with the Spirit of
> God, Nephi took Laban’s sword and cut off his
> head."
>
> "Significantly, Nephi attributed his ability to
> hold Zoram and convince him with a covenant to not
> flee to the fact that he had now become a man"

Good gosh, after a post of Sister Missionary Kylee Chapa's made it onto The Friendly Atheist's blog two years ago, one would think the DN would not have printed Halverson's embarrassing, horrible article about a male murderer/beheader who did not exist.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/11/07/mormon-missionary-tells-us-why-we-should-cut-off-the-whole-head/

"Kylee Chapa is a Mormon missionary currently working in Cincinnati, Ohio. She was recently teaching the Book of Mormon to a 13-year-old girl named Kami and they came across a horrific passage in which Nephi is told by God that he must kill Laban in order to secure some brass plates.
In the story, Nephi struggles with the command to kill someone else because, you know, murder is wrong. But if Heavenly Father says so, why not?! So Nephi cuts off Laban’s head."

If Halverson needs a manly figure in his life, I would suggest reading about the life of Chuck Yeager.

Date: October 13, 2015 06:51AM

"In a world that sends so many false and destructive messages to young men about what it really means to be a man, the scriptures are a powerful source of light and truth, providing stirring examples of what it means to be a man and what the process is of becoming man."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/isis-posts-video-child-beheading-syrian-soldier-article-1.2295914

It is time for the LDS church to renounce and discard the Book of Mormon.

Date: October 17, 2015 11:29AM

michaelm (not logged in) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It is time for the LDS church to renounce and
> discard the Book of Mormon.
^Yes they do. Do you think that Christians should dump the Bible, Jews the Torrah and Muslims the Quaran? Because justified violence and murder is nothing new to these religions. For me, I think that anything that promotes violence in religion should be dropped.

Date: October 17, 2015 06:55PM

Christians, Jews and Muslims won't dump their scriptures but the LDS church is in a unique position to come clean about Joseph Smith and the church's history and to admit that the Book of Mormon is a 19th century work of fiction. If the leaders had any integrity that is what they would do.

I think that religious sects who teach violence in the scriptures as a way to become a man, or as an example of keeping the commandments are recognized as being extremists by most reasonable people. The LDS church doesn't seem to think that applies to its teachings. It shouldn't get a free pass on these two recent Deseret News stories.

Date: October 18, 2015 12:19AM

I agree.

Posted by: Zero ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 07:34AM

The cold-blooded murder, and robbery, of a defenseless man! The brass plates were Laban's property. Horrible, horrible, story!

It must be a missionary lesson going around. In addition to the missionary discussed above, I also saw this lesson mentioned in another missionary's blog. Though this missionary was less explicit with the details.

Date: October 13, 2015 07:44AM

This Deseret News article is about one of the sickest things I have seen printed in that paper. With images of beheadings flooding the world from ISIS right now and the LDS Lafferty brothers of the past, Mr. Halverson's claim that cutting off a person's head makes one a man is beyond outrageous.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 01:06PM

Amen! the fact that Deseret news printed that awful bit of twisted thinking is a good indicator of just how little the Mormon church's supporters consider the implications of what they are saying.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 07:56AM

Look at the picture that accompanied the article. Obviously, Nephi is the righteous one--he's clean shaven. His "rebellious" brothers have beards.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 01:17PM

Yes, you can only behead someone worthily if you're clean shaven. Reminds me of taking a test at the BYU testing center.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 13, 2015 05:04PM

Can someone who is closer to me to other news outlets forward this to them?

Like others have said it is no different than how ISIS justifies itself for murder.

This was edited, proofread and authorized to be fed to the general public. Gods tells you to kill, kill!. Then you're a man!

This is a perfect example of why we left!

Date: October 17, 2015 08:23AM

Unbelievable! Now they have a story in the official Church News about being courageous enough to kill a drunk man if God commands it.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865639087/Viewpoint-Nephis-courage.html?pg=1

"we too must respond to our Heavenly Father and Savior with the words found in the Primary song, “I will go, I will do the things the Lord commands.""

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 11:07AM

Ah yes, the wise old mormon saying: "If at first you don't succeed, kill a guy."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 11:23AM

Even in war, it is considered a war crime to to deliberately kill an unconscious incapacitated person.

The murder of Laban is a grotesque, immoral story no matter how you, er, slice it. There have been more than a few investigators who started reading the BoM and pointed out to missionaries that this is an atrocity, god-sanctioned or not.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 06:44PM

This article reminds me of a lesson I was supposed to teach in Primary on missionary work.

The lesson somehow tried to tie in the story of Ammon cutting of the arms of robbers with being a missionary. I was supposed to teach this to five-year-olds. We played games instead.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 07:05PM

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_and_Bat_Mitzvah

Isn't just as crazy!?? You're not even a adult in the eyes of the law!?? Yet with this they claim they are men already!??

Date: October 17, 2015 07:13PM

No, it is not just as crazy. It is nothing at all like the Deseret News article about becoming a man by cutting off the head of a drunk person.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 09:44PM

The last bat mitzvah I attended consisted of some Torah reading, short talks by the celebrant and the rabbi, and a few songs by the cantor. Everyone was delighted to be there, and no one's head was cut off.

So when you compare a murder (even a fictional one) to be as "crazy" as a joyous celebration of a life event, you need to get out more – but if you can't do that, at least shut the hell up until you actually know what you're talking about.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.