Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 10:40AM

This weekend is the Stone Mountain Highland Games here in Georgia. There'll be lots of people in kilts (I won't be). It would be strange to see missionaries spending the money to park in the park and then to pay for the games themselves, walking around in their uniforms with nametags, looking in befuddlement at the people in kilts and doing things like SMILING and LAUGHING and stuff. Me, I'm going for the music (since I sell the CDs of a lot of the performers who will be there) and for some foodstuffs (I love oat cakes) and I'm looking for a gift for someone (a wool blanket for her not-yet-born baby).

Oh, and here's the website for the games (I hope it's OK to post):

http://www.smhg.org

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 10:41AM by michael.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 12:36PM

I wouldn't be surprised if there were an LDS booth 'helping' with Scottish genealogy.

Date: October 16, 2015 01:09PM

Benvolio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't be surprised if there were an LDS booth 'helping' with Scottish genealogy.

They don't "help." The genealogical group is there by itself. No Mormons at the booth.

Posted by: enigma ( )
Date: October 16, 2015 12:55PM

When I lived in Atlanta, I loved going there - especially during the holidays.

Ah nostalgia, verily you prick my heart with the sweet pain of remembrance.

Date: October 16, 2015 01:11PM

enigma Wrote:
> When I lived in Atlanta, I loved going there - especially during the holidays.
>
> Ah nostalgia, verily you prick my heart with the sweet pain of remembrance.

You're welcome. I only go out there twice a year - Yellow Daisy Festival in September and Stone Mountain Highland Games in October. Otherwise, I don't go there.

Ah, the sweet, dulcet tones of the bagpipes. (grin)

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 02:52PM

I lived for ten years in Norcross, about 5 miles north of Stone Mountain. I used to love going there, always had an annual pass. I'd jog around it every other day, and climb it on most of the interim days. Great place. Good memories. Never went to the highland games though.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 06:10PM

Love Stone Mountain.
There is a special way the soil smells in Georgia in the fall - now I wish I was there.

Date: October 17, 2015 06:29PM

there were no Mormons there at all. At all. I spent over 5 hours listening to music alone, plus a lot of walking around in the venue. Got treated to lunch at Clan McLaren, saw people I've known for quite a while now, so it was a good day (except for my feet).

Next weekend, it's the Atlanta Pagan Pride Festival (I'm a vendor, not a pagan).

Posted by: JamesL ( )
Date: October 21, 2015 10:00PM

You're vending at Atlanta Pagan Pride? May I ask which booth? I am a Pagan, and the group I lead has an information booth at the event and we're doing a class.

Date: October 21, 2015 11:23PM

JamesL Wrote:
> You're vending at Atlanta Pagan Pride? May I ask which booth? I am a Pagan, and the group I lead has an information booth at the event and we're doing a class.

Southern Fried Filk. I'll have both Celtic and filk (for the first time) music.

Date: October 22, 2015 08:49AM

You're Southern Fried Filk? Not only do I know your vending, but I've been your customer more than once.

Date: October 22, 2015 10:10AM

JamesL Wrote:
> You're Southern Fried Filk? Not only do I know your vending, but I've been your customer more than once.

Make sure you introduce yourself to me?

Also, have something which might be of interest.

Date: October 24, 2015 07:31PM

michael Wrote:
> JamesL Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > You're Southern Fried Filk? Not only do I know your vending, but I've been your customer more than once.
>
Did you show up? I don't recall you introducing yourself to me.

Date: October 25, 2015 08:06AM

I did not get a chance to come over to your booth. Not only was my own much busier than anticipated. I didn't get a chance to head over to your booth at all...I didn't even get a chance to eat lunch! Sorry, I had planned to introduce myself.

Date: October 25, 2015 07:29PM

JamesL Wrote:
> I did not get a chance to come over to your booth. Not only was my own much busier than anticipated. I didn't get a chance to head over to your booth at all...I didn't even get a chance to eat lunch! Sorry, I had planned to introduce myself.

Which booth was yours?

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 08:28PM

Check out Uncle Hamish and the Hooligans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56KTzT0zjEk

They're out of Asheville. We saw them play in Maggie Valley about five years ago. The kid on the pipes was 19 and in college then, so he'd be about 25 now.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 08:52PM

That was excellent rockn'roll bagpipes! The kid has a lot of 'filling in' to do.

Also, I looked at anther clip, where the camera was much, much closer and it showed the drummer, also wearing kilts, with his legs spread... Very unlady-like!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 08:35PM

I saw two female missionaries at a botanical garden today in Birmingham, AL.

They were sitting on a bench by a high traffic area diligently reading their scriptures. I'm sure they felt so righteous.

Today was one of the most beautiful days ever here. Seeing them reminded me of how much time I wasted trying to be a good Mormon.

Enjoy the music and oat cakes!

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 17, 2015 09:18PM

Eod, so the kilt wearer with legs out...what is under there-tighty whiteys or what? I've always wondered and inquiring minds want to know.

Date: October 17, 2015 09:33PM

Alas, I was too fearful to follow that particular muse. And my recollections of high school sophomore year gym class also helped me look away.

Posted by: One Who Posted ( )
Date: October 22, 2015 11:37AM

You see, back in the day we would have been told as missionaries to go there on our P-day/D-day to get out and experience local culture ("culture" used sort of loosely because,... Well, it is Georgia).

(I have yet to go to Stone Mountain, myself. I have been balking because I understand it is a monument to the defense of slavery and commemoration of the "War of Northern Aggression," as my Georgian neighbors all call it.)

Date: October 22, 2015 11:50AM

One Who Posted Wrote:
> You see, back in the day we would have been told as missionaries to go there on our P-day/D-day to get out and experience local culture ("culture" used sort of loosely because,... Well, it is Georgia).
>
> (I have yet to go to Stone Mountain, myself. I have been balking because I understand it is a monument to the defense of slavery and commemoration of the "War of Northern Aggression," as my Georgian neighbors all call it.)

I go there only twice a year: for the Yellow Daisy Festival in September to finish my holiday shopping, and for the Stone Mountain Highland Games. I don't go to the monument or anything like that. The area I go to for both events is "primitive" in that it's not paved that much and it's left in a more "natural" state - no monuments, not much of anything.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 23, 2015 12:42PM

I don't know if they still do the laser light show on the mountain. I have to admit that was pretty impressive. Especially when it looks like the Davis and Lee and whoeverthehell the other guy was are riding their horses right off the mountain.

And then they would shoot off fireworks to a roaring rendition of Elvis singing "Dixie." And all the rednecks stand up and sing with their hands over their hearts. Good comedy if nothing else.

But I think these days I'd be a little bit afraid to be in a large group of that many ammosexuals. The same reason I wouldn't go to G.C. even if I were still TBM.

Posted by: One Who Posted ( )
Date: October 23, 2015 12:54PM

Ha! Ammosexuals. Gotta love that one!

Date: October 24, 2015 08:14PM

ARsexuals probably works, too...

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 25, 2015 07:37AM

So do the Mormons let men get away with wearing kilts?

Date: October 25, 2015 07:30PM

Doxi Wrote:
> So do the Mormons let men get away with wearing kilts?

It would be interesting to find out, especially in SCOTLAND.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.