Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: October 30, 2015 11:30AM

We (DW & I) recently relocated to the Dallas area (south of I-20). We have no family here and do not attend church. We would love to find other ExLD$ if there is a group here.

I'm a long time poster/lurker here on RfM (10+ years).

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 01, 2015 10:19AM

bump...

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: November 01, 2015 04:47PM

Just a heads up: Some of the ex-mo groups in the DFW area were established by evangelical Christians whose ultimate goal is to convert disaffected Mormons to "true Christianity". If you don't mind that, I can give you contact info for one of those groups. When I was living in Dallas (just moved away this summer) I attended one of these groups a couple times. The people were nice but most of them weren't even ex-mos and since I was hoping to meet people who could relate to the experience of leaving Mormonism, I ultimately found that group to be a bad fit for me.

I was never able to find any other ex-mo groups that met regularly. I know there are quite a few ex-mos in the area, so maybe you can have better luck or even maybe start your own group. Best of luck.

Posted by: magicrocks ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 12:25AM

I used to live in the Frisco area (just north of Dallas), until earlier this year. After I left the church, I heard lot of stories of other ward members who also left. Apparently, people are starting to realize how ridiculous it all is. I never did get around to contacting any exmo groups while I lived there (too much going on, and I was sick of talking about Mormonism).

I wish you luck. My wife and I hated Texas, and got out as soon as the opportunity would allow. However, individual experiences will vary. At least the BBQ is good.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 07:45AM

My wife and I have attended a Mormons in Transition Meetup group in Arlington and it was started by an evangelical Christian group. This ministry was started by a fourth generation exMo with the prime mission of exposing cults. They have never approached anyone at their meetings to convert them to Christianity. They are sensitive to what the recent exMo is experiencing and they offer a safe place where the newly departing Mormon can find a friendly, experienced ear. I doubt they would back away from any exMo wishing to hear about their beliefs. They also actively try to inform active members where the church is wrong hoping to save them. They are good folks and mean well.

Posted by: John_norelation_Wayne ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 11:13AM

Sorry you had that experience. That evangelical group is not the official dallas area mormons in transition group. THey just used our name. smh

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 10:54AM

Here is a listing for most of the exmo groups around the world: http://www.mormonspectrum.org/map/

Posted by: John_NoRelation_Wayne ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 11:07AM

Yes, the official "Exmormon" group and "Post-Mormon" groups were hijacked by evangelicals.

The mormon stories group is mostly ex mormon. Probably 90%. We are the Dallas Area Mormons in Transition(DAMIT for short). FInd us on facebook. THere is a form to fill out we have had to use to screen people to make sure there aren't TBMs coming to rat out people. Or that there aren't evangelicals coming to the group.

Yeah it's really upsetting what happened to the official Exmormon or Post mormon groups. They've also highjacked our name "Dallas area mormons in transition" on meetup.com and we got into a big huge fight over it. We named ourselves that first when John Dehlin had his huge fight with the church and asked that the groups come up with different names/missions.

Date: November 02, 2015 12:39PM

Good to know since my wife just told me she was about to contact an ExMo group her sister told her about. I am betting it is the group that I am not interested in.

I am looking for pure ExMo's.

Thanks for the invite John_nr_Wayne. We will likely check into you all.

Cheers, Adam...

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 12:47PM

I grew up there many years ago, so I can't help you now that I'm in another part of the country.

But welcome to Texas and I hope you like it!

A LOT of people go to church down there. Churches all over the place! I think the Baptists were the biggest when I lived there.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: November 02, 2015 04:52PM

We have cooler ex-mo groups in Houston. ;)

Posted by: buriedego ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 01:25PM

I live in lufkin. Between Houston and Dallas. East Texas sucks. But yeah this thread interests me too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.