Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 03:04PM

Wow...how time flies by for all of us huh!

Being a Baby-Boomer (born between 1946 - 1964) i never thought i would ever be this old.

Yikes it even happened to me!

Well in assigning 25-years as a "Quarter"...and then assuming 100-years as the end-game i now find myself unbelievably in the relatively early 3rd Quarter of my life.

Thank heavens i left TSCC/LDS Inc in my 1st-quarter just after my mission.

How about you???

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 03:11PM

Left in 1970 at age 15... been happy about that ever since...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 03:12PM

I'm 58. I went inactive at about age 38. Lost my beliefs when I was about 46.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 03:13PM

3rd quarter now. Figured it out late in the 2nd quarter. But the nice thing is that because of that, this 3rd quarter has been the best!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 04:01PM

I'm in the third (55).
I left in the first (21).

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 04:20PM

a 20 year quarter would be much more realistic on this deal

Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 08:47AM

Give it another decade and you will hear from an old hippie that we will all live to be 200. lol

http://www.genealogyintime.com/GenealogyResources/Articles/how_many_people_live_to_100_page1.html

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 06:23PM

My shelf broke in late 2nd quarter. Finally resigned in early third quarter. Wish I'd gotten out before my kids were all indoctrinated. They have dug in deep.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 06:43PM

I left at the end of my first quarter.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:07PM

First of the third.

Posted by: sage ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:14PM

Left at age 50. Now 62.

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:21PM

Late first quarter - I was 22. 23 when I resigned (which they ignored).

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:28PM

Left twice in my second quarter.

In the first part of the third quarter now.

Looking to the future, however, more than in a rear view mirror. :)

There's an old Jewish saying, "How can you know where you're going, if you don't know where you've been?" There is wisdom in valuing our cultural roots and heritage.

Taking the good that came from it, and learning from the past.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 03, 2015 07:31PM

After being nickeled and dimed into my two bits life I woke up 5 years later so that would be my second quarter and enough to buy my way out of the brain shave and my harem got cut Mormon life.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 03:41AM

I was 41 when I left. Now 62.

Posted by: Ramses ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 05:11AM

I joint at 10 in 1969. I had always some doubts here and there, but stayed loyal, but by 2000 - at 41 the doubts overcame everything and my faith in the morg collapsed like a house of cards. It was beyond retrieval and no sort of revival was able to bring me back to the 1999-mode. I am still there on record, but will leave as soon as my mother (92) either tells me to do so and has passed on. Mormonism is cointerfeit religion.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 06:27AM

Left at the very end of my 1st quarter, now just starting my 3rd.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 12:03PM

I'm in the second quarter (39)
Went inactive at 36
Found out LD$ inc. was crap at 37
Resigned at 38

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 12:13PM

Joined in the 1st quarter, left in the 3rd quarter, heading into the 4th quarter...Life is good!

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 12:16PM

Left early second quarter. That was just a couple years ago.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 12:23PM

Joined at 18, figured it out in the early 90's thanks to a 14.4 kbs modem and Tim Berners-Lee.

Immediately stopped believing, but took most of that decade to extract myself as our 20+ year marriage hung in the balance (didn't work...she married the church as it turns out).

Haven't been back since 1999/2000 time frame.

Man, time flies...15 years gone, but it pisses me off like it was yesterday.

Posted by: Free418years ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 08:07PM

Joined in 1st quarter, age 20. Left the day I got home from my mission, 29 February 1996, aged 25, just one month and six days before my 26th birthday. I have never looked back and never regretted my leaving that pseudo-Christian cult.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 08:30PM

Born in, hated it straightaway.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:01PM

I'm 80% through my 3rd quarter....walked away from the cult towards the end of the 1st quarter.

RB

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 04, 2015 09:56PM

In the second third of my third quarter.

A couple of years before the end of the first quarter I realized it was a lie and left--or actually floated away. Felt lighter than air when it hit me and the drudgery fell away. Indoctrination actually weighs a lot.

Posted by: IdahoBanana ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 01:54AM

I was a lifer - BIC.

I'm currently in my 2nd Quarter.
Left 2 years ago.

Wishing I'd had the guts to pursue my doubts that occurred in my 1st Quarter sooner.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 02:35AM

I left for good at the beginning of my 3rd quarter. I was lucky that my husband and kids came along with me. Our family is so much happier, so much closer. The church was always meddling in our lives, it was annoying. Glad to have them gone.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 04:19AM

I left the cult towards the end of the second quarter. Is that like scoring a big touchdown just before halftime :)

BIC. Mission at 19. My mission was the first real big hit to my testimony although I would stick with it for another 20 years post-mission. I left two years ago at the age of 41. Wife and kids came out with me.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 05:12AM

Im 51
Left at 27

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 07:57AM

I was BIC, and a good Mormon girl, even after I graduated from graduate school. I started thinking that something was terribly wrong, when I went to the temple to get married. I stayed active in the cult, was an organist and teacher, but just didn't go to the temple, making every excuse possible. I was working to put my husband through school, and I decided not to pay tithing. I read my ancestors' diaries in their own writing, and discovered the fraud, polygamy, and JS's other crimes from the source. I left, in my heart, when I was 25, but kept lying to myself that "JS was only human, and humans make mistakes, bla-bla."

My husband found out that Mormonism is a fraud cult, when we both 27. I still believed, sort of, so we agreed that we wouldn't let the cult come between us--as it had with so many of our young married friends. I would continue to drag the kids to church, and he would stop paying tithing, and didn't have to go to church. My in-laws and most other ward members blamed me for my husband dropping out. I was no longer included in the couples social life. Once I got to church, I never saw the kids, as I rushed to teach the teen-agers in Sunday school (lively discussions!) and play the organ in sacrament meeting, where my kids sat alone. In the meantime, Daddy was having fun at home or at the beach, and we couldn't wait to get home and join in the family fun. We stopped going a year later. My kids went to a Lutheran school through grade school, and to services there at Christmas and Easter, or with friends. No pressure for perfect attendance. They wanted to go to summer Bible school, with kids in the neighborhood.

My children never believed in Mormonism, but they believed in Christ and God. They have always been great kids, happy and successful, very close as a family. When we moved to Utah, my TBM parents and cousins and in-laws convinced that Mormonism was the best way to raise children, so I forced them to go to church with me again, for 8 years. Church was the only thing we fought about. Church was depressing and soul-sucking. The arrogant priesthood leaders constantly over-stepped their boundaries, and usurped my position as parent and head of household. They even broke into our house, and into my sons' bedrooms, and physically forced them to go to church--kicking them and shoving them. The bishop's creepy older son tried to molest my little girl, when she was 10, but I didn't find out about it until years later. She was afraid to tell me. When she finally did, we all resigned together, and are out to stay.

I wish I had never gone back!

Age 26, followed my husband out.
Age 38-46, went back to Mormon church to raise children.
Age 46, kids told me about the Mormon abuse, together
Two minutes later, kids and I resigned.
We have been free for 12 years.

Sometimes, I would take abuse, without complaint, but when the Mormons started to hurt and harass my children, I finally stood up to those creeps!

I wonder if this is perhaps the reason so many young couples with children leave the cult. Enough is enough! They don't want their kids to suffer in the lies and threats and prejudices of Mormonism.

Posted by: buriedego ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 08:56AM

In my first quarter, ran away one night a year into my mission. Came home. Still in my first quarter.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 09:25AM

Ran away?. Escaped! That took courage.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 09:32AM

left the first time at 19.
The second at 38...it took that time
now in my forties.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 03:26PM

Left in the 2nd, no half time, minutes into the third with no time outs remaining, penalty flags all over, a 10 point spread, games been rigged and the clock keeps flickering....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2015 03:40PM by druid.

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 03:51PM

During my second quarter I split with my wife of over 12 years (and 5 kids) because of emotional abuse (I was never right, could never do right, etc.) and fell into the deepest, darkest depression of my young life. I ended up seeing a woman who turned out to be a stripper but by the time I discovered that, we were pregnant. However, I had serious doubts about paternity, especially after learning she had been cheating on me frequently. In the meantime, TSCC "helped" my life situation by excommunicating me for adultery. Living with a beautiful stripper without the benefit of marriage but enjoying said benefits is frowned upon by TSCC, doncha know!

I divested myself of my daughter's mother (paternity was proven) due to her infidelity and she and our daughter went back to live with her mother, my daughter's grandmother (I know, sounds confusing).

At that point, I began working my way back into activity in TSCC, at least as far as an excommunicated person can be active.

I met my current wife, became best of friends with her and was re-baptized one month before our (civil) marriage. In 2001 my Priesthood Blessings were restored by Neil Anderson (an Area Seventy at the time). I then held several callings as I began progressing, once again, within the confines of my faith of birth. My wife and I were sealed in Denver in 2007. As for callings, my favorite calling was as the Gospel Doctrine Instructor. My last calling was as the First Assistant to the High Priest Group Leader. I had to move from Texas to Colorado to be released from that one!

Since arriving in Colorado in 2014 (now in my third Quarter), I have not been called to do anything except Home Teach. I did that once. I will not do it again. I have told my wife, Bishop, Stake President and our local Area Seventy about my unbelief. My wife and sister in-law were told together. My sister in-law, with my permission, told her/my wife's parents.

Only my youngest brother and his family know of my unbelief, as far as my own family goes. He's out, too.

So, I'm hard headed and it took a lot to pry me loose! But I'm out!

Better late than never!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 05, 2015 03:53PM

I quit just as soon as I finished grad school and had evenings free to think too much.

Not coincidentally, it was also the time I got my first full-time job. The tithing donations looked pretty large when I had bills begging to be paid.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.