Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anontoday ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 09:45PM

Has anyone else heard of this? I find this story funny today and very telling of TBM's state of mind. About a year ago DH and I moved to a new city where we didn't know anyone. Before our actual move I had decided that I was going to join the Gold's gym there so I could have child care while I worked out. While talking to my extreme TBM MIL about our pending move I told her about my plans to join a gym. She freaked out. Telling me not to join a gym, that she had heard of multiple divorces due to Mormon women having affairs with men that they met at the gym. Her reaction stunned and shocked me. I barely knew how to respond but say I'm not going to have an affair. And I did join a gym and I did not have an affair.

Anyone else heard of divorces due to Mormon women having affairs due to meeting men at the gym?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 09:49PM

This actually happened in my family.

I personally blame the cult because it told the married couple to get married so young, it told them to be sexually immature & ignorant, & it told them that their lives & feelings didn't matter.

I had hoped that when this happened, the married couple would see the light & realize the cult was an abusive fraud. Instead they remained TBM & got divorced.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 09:49PM

It's epidemic in the Draper area.

Posted by: pamelapotrey ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 11:13PM

I grew up in Draper. ( Live with my husband & family in Missouri for 25 years now.Haven't been back to Utah for 7yr) Pleazzzz, do tell more about Draper.

I know the Draper that I grew up in & loved, is gone. Which saddens me.

Just interested in your opinion about Draper.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 11:35PM

The Tree House gym in Draper has a reputation for hookups. You'd hate Draper today. 12300 is so over built. Draper won't be happy until every square inch is paved or built upon. It used to take me 4 minutes to get from 13th east & 12300 to I-15. Now, it's 10-15 minutes. It's sad.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 11:50AM

Yes, this is right. Draper is not what it used to be, and it's never going back. I live in the area and have been here a long time. I arrived when Draper was still a small town, and boy have things changed. The culture has changed, the town is not the same, and it has been inundated by smug, mostly-young Mormons.

From what I've seen, most, not all, think they are better than everyone else. Those great families which were the anchor of Draper before are gone. A lot of the people who live here are very worldly. They spend a lot of time on outward appearance, being sexy, and trying to find ways of being better than their neighbor. There is a lot of swinging going on. A LOT. There is an aire of entitlement which is probably where all the cheating comes from.

The Treehouse is a place people hook up. Dimple Dell Rec Center is another well known one. I have personally seen it happen. I like living here because it's very safe and clean. But it is a center of Mormon narcissism. Not what it used to be.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 03:03PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Tree House gym in Draper has a reputation for
> hookups. You'd hate Draper today. 12300 is so over
> built. Draper won't be happy until every square
> inch is paved or built upon. It used to take me 4
> minutes to get from 13th east & 12300 to I-15.
> Now, it's 10-15 minutes. It's sad.

I have a family member (by marriage) that hooked up with a guy at this gym!

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 01:10PM

Mormon swinging is quite popular in Draper as well...

Interesting.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 10:05PM

Yeah. It's the gym. It couldn't be the lack of morals of the mormon women. Right?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 11:34AM

StillAnon Wrote:
> Yeah. It's the gym. It couldn't be the lack of
> morals of the mormon women. Right?

Right.
Because affairs never happen at work, at restaurants, etc.
It's only at gyms.

:)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 10:07PM

It happens a lot, but it isn't only Mormons who fool around at the gym.

My first husband's body trainer met his wife while she was married. She trained with him, had an affair and left her husband for him.

Kathy Gifford's husband Frank's wife before Kathy was an aerobics trainer he had an affair with before they got hitched, and so on and so forth.

It ain't only Mormons, if someone has a roving eye. Your MIL should know better than to suspect only Mormons suffer from that. Not all married people suffer from "Roving Eye."

Your MIL needs to have more faith in DIL.

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 10:21PM

Church! Ole' Horny Joe found and then tried to justify his cheating ways through church. Let's ban church (okay, maybe one kind of church)!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 10:21PM by masonfree.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 15, 2015 10:31PM

My parents think gym = swingers bar. I think this is a Mormon thing because fat and happy is where it is at for many Mormons.

My parents are slightly hypocritical in this regard. They go to the recreation center to exercise. My father has met loads of women friends there.

Just another stupid "sky is falling, Satan is calling" freak show that is what Mormonism lives for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 10:31PM by Elder Berry.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 12:48AM

When I go to the gym, it's for one reason: to swim. We have a lot of other gym and training equipment at home.

Swimming is one of the few things I can due without hurting myself. I just drive to the gym, with my swimsuit already on under my regular clothes. Once in the locker room, I get out of the street clothes, leave them and my purse and gym bag in a locker, get into my pool sandals, and head for the pool.

I usually go early in the afternoon, when it's not crowded and the other swimmers are mostly retired folks like me. I swim my laps (I have a neat little waterproof lap-counter designed by my creative DH) and always try to swim at least one lap more than I did the time before.

I don't go there to socialize, just to swim. I kinda thought that was the idea.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 01:02AM

One of my co-workers has been going for the past year to swim laps and water aerobics at my local aquatic center.

I swear it has saved her life. She was dying from emphysema (from smoking,) and very overweight. She has a considerable amount of discipline to have gone nearly every single day like she has for more than a year, and during the Siberian Polar Vortex winter we had last year didn't dissuade her from going religiously.

She doesn't go to socialize either, just for the water aerobics.

She's also retiring this year after 32 years where we work. She's true blue to her hubby, she'd never cheat on him and jokes about him cheating on her - but she knows he never would.

While she hasn't lost a whole lot of weight, she has toned up a lot. And her coughing has subsided to where she hardly coughs at all anymore. I believe she finally was able to give up smoking too, which also should help add life to her years.

(aka years to her life.)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 03:02AM

I'm another weird person who goes to the gym to swim or do weight training, not to flirt with anyone. My dad who has been divorced from my mom has never met anyone he's dated at the gym, and he's been more of a gym rat than I am.

Posted by: Logan Temple Jr. ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 02:55AM

Darn,

If only Joseph's Myth had started a gym instead of TSCC,'think of all the hurting folk that wouldn't need to hurt. And if these comments are true (I must go to a boring gym), Holy Joe
could still have hooked up with multiple females

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 05:56AM

Anytime you put males and females together in one place, where neither sex has a lot of clothes on, and everyone is "working out", the biological juices are going to start doing what they are trained to do- attracting a mate. As long as you are fully aware of that aspect of being human, and are honest about being turned on when it happens, you will be ok. Everyone is suceptable to affairs, because we are all human.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 12:13PM

antilehinephi Wrote:
> Everyone is susceptible to affairs,
> because we are all human.

This point is lost on a lot of people. Biologically, I believe some people are more faithful in all aspects of their lives than others. But generally on a Bell Curve "most" people are less than faithful to lifetime mates.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 12:38PM

After having worked out at a gym that had a mostly male clientele, I know that when I get the money, it will be one for women only. The juices do flow, and I would socialize-- that is my nature. Safer at a women's gym.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 12:29PM

This is why women should just stay home, tending the kids, cooking the meals, doing the cleaning. That way they never have contact with tempting men. Besides, domestic duties should be exercise enough. And while they're at it, women shouldn't have contact with other women, because it might turn them into lesbians. (Wow, it's scary how quickly I can slip into the mindset of extreme TBMs even after all these years away from the church.)

Posted by: Logan Temple Jr. ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 04:18AM

Thank you, Boyd

PS: The rumors of your demise are apparently premature

Posted by: anon1234 ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 12:58PM

Questions for TBM MIL:
* has she ever joined a Gym
* if yes, then so, tell me about this affair
* if no, then bring up someone in church leadership, divorcing and marring someone else, and say, I guess I should not go to church, either.

The should shut her up.

Posted by: Dafuq ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 01:38PM

*moving to Draper...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 03:25PM

Dafuq Wrote:
> *moving to Draper...

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahahah. Let us know if you get lucky.
;)

Posted by: Logan Temple Jr ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 04:20AM

Can I just get a "Guest Pass"?

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 03:20PM

My mind is blown by this thread, because once again, I see no evidence of thinking that people make active choices to have affairs or not.

You're not going to be tricked into having an affair just because you went to the gym where the "juices are flowing." I don't even know wtf that means.

However. If you are already having trouble in your marriage and you already have very poor relationship skills, and you already do not possess the inability to say no (or "Fuck off I'm married") then believe me. The problem isn't at the gym. The problem isn't with the gym. The problem isn't what people wear at the gym. The problem isn't what people do at the gym.

The problem is people choosing to step out on their mates. And that has nothing whatsoever to do with whatever fitness regime one partakes of.

The whole argument is a slippery slope that ends with women staying inside the house at all times and/or wearing a burka when they go out. Someone upthread said the issue was with WOMEN's poor morals. Takes two to tango. Men who cheat and women who cheat are equally shitty as people.

Posted by: me ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:54PM

My comment about "juices are flowing" does not have anything to do with adultery. I am single, and phobic about relationships with men because of too many hurts. If men would be less interested in hopping in the sack, and more interested in developing a solid friendship, maybe then I might be more responsive. As for married people, sometimes a solid friendship, aided by alcohol, can be a snare.

Posted by: fakeempire ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 04:57PM

I know of a Mormon woman who came from a very devout family. At the time, she had 5 kids and had been married for close to 20 years.

Well, she met a guy at the gym and became "good friends" with him over a period of a couple years. He was also married with kids, though he was not LDS. They probably met up with each other 5-6 times a week at the gym, texted each other, she brought treats for him, etc. Eventually their friendship progressed to the next step and they began having an affair. Long story short, she ended up pregnant with his child. Both of them divorced their spouses and then they got married to each other before their child was born (her 6th, his 4th). I no longer go to that gym so I haven't seen or heard about them in years. I wonder how all that is working out for them.

Mormon or not though, no one is immune. If you associate closely and consistently with someone who isn't your spouse, and you find them even a little bit attractive and/or charming, it can be a very slippery slope. It's kind of sad, but I think you really do have to be mindful of who you let yourself become close to.

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 05:09PM

...and are honest about being turned on, when it happens". By posting this I meant that if married people are physically attracted to a member of the opposite sex, it is a good idea to recognize the attraction and maybe be careful around that person.
IMHO and after being married for a long time, it seems like as humans we are naive to think that a marriage certificate stops the sexual curiosity about people outside of our marriage. I think it is something that is not talked about. It is kind of reinforced by LDS and romantic notions about "love for eternity". Speaking for myself I do not think women or men should fear the other. It's just about really being honest about what chemistry is happening in our brains and letting reason and prudence take over instead of having affairs.

Posted by: isthisnameok? ( )
Date: November 16, 2015 10:01PM

yea seems I've heard many of these stories as well. What would be funny is that if you met your future spouse this way, then one day out of the blue after being married for a while, you tell your significant other that your going out to the gym to work out, to see the reaction of the spouse would be priceless LOL

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.