Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 06:19PM

I started to read The Backslider but can't get into it. Should I push through?

What are YOU reading?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:21PM

I am reading "One Girl, One Dream".

It is a true story written by Laura Dekker which describes her solo voyage around the world in her 40 ft. sailboat (ketch) "Guppy". She was the youngest person ever to circumnavigate the globe solo. She completed the voyage when she was 16 years old, having sailed 31,000 miles in 519 days.

When reading the book it helps to have a basic knowledge of sailing and its terminology. She stopped at various places enroute and she tells about the people she met and the things she did during those stops.

I find it fascinating that a 16 year old girl could do that trip solo. Her father is a very experienced sailor and he helped Laura prepare her boat. He met her a few times enroute to help maintain the boat while it was in port. But all the miles sailing was done by Laura as a solo sailor. She was a bold and brave girl to successfully do that voyage, and it is a fascinating story.

A movie was made about the voyage and it is called "Maidentrip". It is available on Netflix online.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:23PM

I'm glad someone asked, I was just thinking of this ...

I'm reading Rust, Disease, and I'm rereading Guns, Germs and

Steel again.

Posted by: pathdocmd ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:24PM

Stolen Innocence by Elissa Wall who escaped the Warren Jeffs group.

I just started reading Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, who won a Nobel Prize. This book has recieved an impressive number of awards, so I am looking foward to getting into it.

Date: November 17, 2015 07:30PM

What is Thinking fast and slow about? It sounds interesting.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:27PM

just finished The Girl With Seven Names

and Troublemaker

both stories of women who escaped tyrannical cults, although getting out of North Korea is far more life threatening than getting out of Scientology

I couldn't put either one down until I finished.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:27PM

I'm reading short stories by Sherwood Anderson (1876-1941). Right now I'm reading his collection "Winesburg, Ohio." It's a set of stories that I think were very closely based on his own life. Just my thing.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:28PM

Interesting collection of short topics, about our basic assumptions, and how they tend to fall short.

I don't agree with all the author's conclusions (particularly about intelligence gathering issues), as in certain sections, he has researched meticulously and extensively, and put together logical conclusions, yet in others, his supporting data is sketchy and dubious. Nonetheless, a fascinating read.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:34PM

Ask and it is Given!

Posted by: Elijah Unabel ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:38PM

Calvin and Hobbes, the collector's edition.

Admittedly, not my usual fare, but it is fun. Besides, when judged on an intellectual level and basis in reality, Calvin and Hobbes is certainly a step up from the book of Mormon.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:58PM

I'm re-reading _The Sound and the Fury_. It signifies nothing.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 07:53PM

I reread To Kill A Mockingbird and then read Go Set A Watchman.

Yep- hero Atticus was prejudiced IMO.

Now reading "Let's Be Less Stupid" which is funny with lots of brain teasers.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 08:21PM

The Stand by Stephen King. That man's mind is a very disturbing place.

Date: November 17, 2015 08:57PM

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 08:23PM

Losing My Religion by William Lobdell. He mentions Sue Emmett. I thought that was pretty cool. Great read, can't put it down.

And the Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart. So interesting learning about all the different herbs, fruits, vegetables, etc that go into making booze.

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 08:26PM

I'm really enjoying selected stories by Alice Munro. She is a great Canadian author. Highly recommend her ( she won a Pulitzer or Nobel a few years back).

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 17, 2015 08:43PM

"Undeniable" by Bill Nye (the Science Guy) :)

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:13PM

New translation of Jesuit cleric Ippolito Desideri's epic journey to Tibet in the early 1700s. He was the first Western theologian to accurately describe Tibetan Buddhism and even learned the language and studied at a Buddhist monastery.

http://www.amazon.com/Mission-Tibet-Extraordinary-Eighteenth-Century-Ippolito/dp/0861716760

Date: November 18, 2015 10:28PM

Pil-Latté, I love these threads. Thank you. :-)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:15PM

Hot Rod magazine....it's kinda who I am....and Trapshooting USA, my alter ego. Couple of books in my library that I should re-read.

RB

Posted by: darthbillgr ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:31PM

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:36PM

Conrad

Orwell

Kermode

Robert Graves

Thoreau

Emerson

Posted by: strangeloop ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:37PM

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid.

Will probably take me a couple years to get through it all.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 03:45PM

"Brain Maker", by neurologist David Perlmutter. A fascinating report of recent research on the connection between the gut's microbiome and mental/brain health.

Also, "The Path to Power", the first in a four-volume biography of Lyndon B. Johnson, by Robert Caro. Reads like a novel and gives a great history of 20th Century politics in the US.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 04:15PM

Re-reading Richard Dawkins, "The God Delusion." I like it better each time I read it. The first time I read it, I thought he was a little over the top, but so much has happened since then, now I am thinking he may be exactly right on the money. Also (I often have two books going at a time..) I'm reading a book called "The Defense" by D. W. Buffa. It is very good--described as a "legal thriller." I had to search it out after reading another book by this author. Very entertaining! :)

Posted by: magic823 ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 04:24PM

Just reread the Girl with Dragon Tattoo series again and then read the new fourth book in the series. Then I read "The Martian" (very good book and the movie was awesome). Just reread the Hunger Games Trilogy to prep for the release of the final movie. At the moment I am half way through "The Einstein Prophesy" which so far has been interesting. I normally have to read a lot of nonfiction, but I've been on a fiction kick lately.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 05:59PM

Also, "H is for Hawk". Slower read but exquisite prose.

And trying to work in a chapter here and there of "In Sacred Loneliness". It is incredibly informative but a little tedious. But totally necessary for understanding the situation.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 04:40PM

Other than textbooks,lots of journals and articles on conformity, cults, Zimbardo, Milgram, and the suicide phenomena in the Intermountain West.

Cheerful, ain't it?

Date: November 18, 2015 06:01PM

Be sure to read Andrew Solomon's chapter on suicide in "The Noonday Demon - An Atlas of Depression"

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 04:42PM

The Lady in Gold by Anna Marie O'Connor. Mainly because I just saw the movie. Art, Nazis and Sacher torte--what could be better?

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 05:01PM

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute. Based on a true character it is both riviting and poignant.

In 1942 the Japanese Invaded Sumatra and about 80 Dutch women and children were collected by the Japanese. The local Japanese commander was reluctant to assume responsibiity for these women and marched them out of his area. This 'march' all around Sumatra lasted for two and a half years. At the end, only thirty of the group survived.

The tactics learned for survival for those women are much the same as in leaving mormonism, either mentally or physically.

Be aware, be informed, remember the history, remain with those who can help keep you strong in your journey, help others along the way.

Date: November 18, 2015 06:04PM

Date: November 18, 2015 07:31PM

I never read the book but I saw the mini series. I really loved it. What a great story.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 05:54PM

Gray's Anatomy, because my body fascinates me

Execution, The Discipline of Getting Things Done, for work

and the Jack Reacher series, to escape - Currently starting book 10

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 06:01PM

The Many Faces of Jesus which is about gospels which didnt make it into the canon

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 06:48PM

"The Girl Who Played With Fire," Stieg Larsson and "Jesus Neither God nor Man," Earl Doherty," for two.

I'll-never-get-through-all-I've-bought-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: annieg ( )
Date: November 18, 2015 07:12PM

Just finished "the Martian". Great read. Now I want to find a theatre that is still plYing the movie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.