Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:04PM

It was Thanksgiving of 1995 when I started the site. The intent was to keep it up for a year or so and move on. I just wanted to help a few folks as those before me had helped me. I did not want to have any religious slant to the site. The Christians who hoped I would convert to "true Christianity" were disappointed. I always felt there was an underlying motive in their attempts to expose Mormonism. These were nice people however and I do not wish to disparage them in any way. It was impossible for me to turn off fact checking. I did not want to jump from Mormonism into another religion.

There was a need for a secular recovery from Mormonism site. There would be no pressure to join Christianity or any other faith here. Bible bashing is futile in my opinion. The facts alone are enough to devastate a belief in the Mormon church. A place to discuss and read what others have experienced in leaving the corporation was missing. I felt people need to discuss their experiences and find they are not alone. I thought one year would be enough.

I have met hundreds of wonderful people as a result of this site over the years and continue to do so. Some close friends have also resulted from here - Susan and her husband in particular. There are of course others too and I would likely miss a few of them so I will refrain from creating a list. Those who I have only met via posts have touched me as well.

It has been amazing time and we will continue. My semi-retirement should give me more time for updates and clean up the site.

A special thanks to the volunteer admins who have given so much time to running everything. This site would not exist without them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:05PM

Thanks and congratulations on helping so many.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:08PM

Keeping this board going for that long is a tremendous accomplishment!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:12PM

You've given us all another reason to give thanks as we celebrate Thanksgiving my good man.

Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

How time flies when you're having fun!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:16PM

Again, a heartfelt "thank you"!

In the years before the internet, folks with questions had to really go out and SEARCH for answers, now the information is already there, they just have to ask. Sites like this are part of life changing searches.

Posted by: exldsdudeinslc ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:21PM

I'm certain you've not only helped people through transition, you've helped literally save people's lives.

Cannot say thank you enough.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:23PM

A great reason to celebrate, and give Erik (and everyone else involved) thanks!

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:34PM

This board has done so much good for so many people, and changed SO MANY people's lives for the better...

...exmormons...Mormons...and a huge number of nevermo's as well (some of them actively curious about Mormonism for many different reasons...others, serendipitous "accidents" ;) )...

From me, and on behalf of everyone whose life has changed for the better...

Thank you, Eric!!!

Thank you!!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:42PM

Two decades of excellence. My hat's off to you, Eric.

Posted by: randomgirl ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:48PM

Thank you so much for this site!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:49PM

Seeing what needs to be done is one thing... Actually doing it, that's a whole 'nother animal.

You Da Man!

Posted by: tiredofreligion ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:49PM

I first came to this site about 15 years ago. It was and is a godsend. Thank you Eric.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:51PM

Thank you, Eric, for providing the disconnected a way to connect to and support one another.

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:52PM

Wish I had found you sooner. Hope my family will some day. Many heartfelt thanks. My life is so much better now.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:57PM

You've saved lives, marriages, families, and the sanity of many who would have lost all hope without RfM. It's wonderful to find this place and understand that others have also seen through Mormonism and are recovering.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:59PM

Happy Anniversary RfM and THANK Eric!

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 04:59PM

Amazing!

I didn't even get onto the internet until 1996!

Thanks for your prescience in setting up the site (prescience is SO much better than prophecy ;-) and for the wonderful job which you and the other volunteers have done to keep it so convivial ever since.

Don't forget to tell us when you need us to help (financially)

Tom in Paris

Posted by: dimmesdale ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:03PM

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:06PM

Thank you.

I suspect this site has saved hundreds of people from spending thousands of dollars in therapy bills.

Nobody understands exmormonism better than an exmo does.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:09PM

I guess I've been around for about 7 of those years.

Happy Anniversary RfM! :o)

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:12PM

Eric,

I've been here for half of that 20 years. I've seen you help an awful lot of hurting people in that time.

Karma will be very good to you my friend. No one needs a religion to know that.

;o)

Posted by: Keith Vaught ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:26PM

I've been here off and on since 2003. What a godsend when I needed further light and knowledge. RfM was a wonderful support system when my shelf collapsed.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:26PM

Congratulations and a salute to you and to your assistants here.

Now, I am going to be a little more selfish. I hope that LDS Inc leaders feel like they have been punched in the stomach every time they merely think of this site. I hope they have bad dreams based on the existence of this site. I hope they ruminate in terror pondering how to be rid of this site and realizing that there is nothing they can really do. I hope that you and this site have cost them billions of dollars, and that this site will cost them even more. This is the ("no unhallowed") hallowed hand that is disrupting their filthy corrupt MORmON work.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:42PM

Great initiative in 1995 and great perseverance over 20 years. I discovered the site in 1999 and learned how to resign; one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Thanks, Eric!

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:44PM

Wow, I can't believe I've been out of the morg this long. Fantastic. Throughout these two decades, you, Susan I/S, and everyone involved with RfM have helped my recovery so much. Thank you for being here even when I'm not around; I love it that when I return, RfM is still online.

Thank you!

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:48PM

I first found rfm around 1995. I used to get a unix command line from my isp and I'd read rfm using lynx. Nowadays I rarely post, but I read it every day. Keeps me apprised of the church; my whole family is largely all TBM. Thanks Eric!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:50PM

Happy Birthday, RFM!! I love the site and thre folks who post here, and it helped me greatly in my journey while leaving Mormonism.

Posted by: fbtj ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:58PM

As one of the newest and youngest members here, I wish to thank you for all the help this has given me in keeping strong in my unbelief entrenched in a family total believers.

I can not thank you enough Eric

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 05:59PM

I believe I stumbled across this site in 2000.

Thank you!

Posted by: hawk ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:01PM

Thank you. I'm certain you've saved lives, in every sense.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:03PM

20 years. It seems a lifetime ago that my shelf broke. I was 2 years post divorce. Still kind of shell-shocked. I had only been hooked up to the internet for a year or so and such a novice at searching for anything.

I don't know how I found this website but when I did, it was so great. I found out I wasn't the only person who had stopped believing in mormonism.

I decided to get to an exmo conference in Las Vegas. Eric was there. So was Richard Packham. That was the turning point for me and I knew I was going to be able to move forward with my life outside of mormonism. Thank you to Eric and for this whole whole exmo community!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:05PM

Happy Anniversary, Eric, to 20 years and still going strong @ RfM.

Thanks to you too, for making this place available for those of us who benefit from RfM being here, online.

It is a fait accompli, what you have done and continue to do these past two decades, and counting.

Posted by: wondercat ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:35PM

Thank you so much!

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 06:50PM

Thanks Eric.
I came around '98 ish (maybe 97?)
I have come and gone over the years depending on what has been going on in my life. I think of those we have lost of the years. I believe the first one was was Yossarian.
I take heart in the reality than more and more of the hidden parts of Mormonism are being brought into the spotlight.
I went from Mormonism, to agnostic/atheism to now a belief in Divinity that does not require one to ignore science, one's own intellect or reason. I expect as years go be science and the Divine will end up being one and the same. So I don't put God into some sort of intellectual box than he can't expand out of as our own understanding expands.

I find it all very exciting, to be honest.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2015 06:50PM by angela.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:29PM

I was a long time lurker before I finally posted. Learned a lot of good stuff for dealing with TBM family members.

Awesome site! Awesome people running it and also those who visit regularly. I'm a neverMo, and tend to lurk, but I visit the site almost daily and feel like I know a lot of you.

Thanks for all the great work that you do! :)

Posted by: lue ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:42PM

Thank you. I love u guys:)

Posted by: Slumbering Minstrel ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:49PM

Thanks Eric! This site has helped so many people.

Posted by: thinker ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:51PM

I am forever grateful for this site. I happened to stumble upon it accidentally, and it was instrumental in opening my eyes and setting me on the journey to the truth. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Posted by: Been there, too ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:54PM

Count me among the many whose life change for the BETTER because of this site. Thanks for providing a safe space to explore doubts and seek support. I realized from this site that there was nothing wrong with me and that I was not alone in my journey out.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 07:56PM

Eric, thank you so much for RfM!! I've been here 18 years. In the beginning, I could read all of the day's posts before I went to bed, now it's so busy I have to pick and choose.

What a great service you've done for so many people! This site has been a safe haven for those who were and are searching for truth. I don't think I'll ever leave.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 08:11PM

Thanks for hanging on! This has become a force on the Internet!

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:17PM

Thank you for giving us a place to regain footing and move ahead.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:18PM

Little did you know 20 years ago that your little project would grow into a lifelong labor of love and a worldwide-known resource for dispensing info about, and helping people out of Mormonism. It was very forward-thinking of you to register the domain name and start the website.

I'm glad that I was looking around the internet in 1996 and found something about chattanooga.net on your site, which sparked my interest and spurred me to call you. I had no idea that anyone outside the Mormon corridor would care anything about working against Mormon, let alone somebody who lives 100 miles from me.

Here's to another 20 years!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:25PM

Thank you Eric and happy twentieth anniversary. You have helped innumerable people when you unselfishly decided to start RFM.
I can't begin to tell you how much this site has
meant to me and others who were leaving the Mormon church.
It's amazing how many people have been here , learned much
and left the church all thanks to you and those who have unselfishly given of their time .

Posted by: antilehinephi ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:27PM

This site helped me navigate a very difficult exit from the Mormon church. Thank you ever so much.

Posted by: Calico ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 09:50PM

I found this site about 96 or 97. I had already left Mormonism years before, because it did not work for me , and I knew of some of the lies. But once I found this site, I was BLOWN away about the magnitude of lies.

I used to post using a different name, and only ocassionally post now. But SO glad for this site, and others, for promoting the truth.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:11PM

I am honored that you've let me hang around here since 2002.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:24PM

Well I am glad that it is here and that you have been very welcoming to me as a never-mo

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:28PM

This is what I am thankful for.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:34PM

Happy Anniversary/Happy Birthday. A big THANK YOU!!!

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:38PM

As long as mormonism exist this site will be needed. Thank you for starting it. It's been a great service to a lot of people.

Posted by: ExCentric ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:39PM

Thanks so much for your time and sacrifices, Eric! When my shelf collapsed last year, I wouldn't have had anywhere to go if it wasn't for RFM. Other sites can give you facts, but this site connects you with living, genuine, and caring people who are eager to help those on our journey out of the church. RFM has helped me to know that not only does life exist outside of the Mormon church, it gets better. Cheers to you, the admins, and all the posters!

Posted by: formermollymormon ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 10:40PM

Thank you!!!!! My husband that found this site and told me about it. It has been helpful to me, the former Mo, and to husband the never Mo.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 22, 2015 11:32PM

Thanks to Eric K and all the RfM admins for the sacrifices they've made over the years to keep the site up and running and helping countless numbers of us!

: ) : ) : )

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 12:33AM

I've been here since 2000, and my husband was a couple of years before me.

Thanks for providing a safe place for him to vent before he could talk to me about it. He made several friends who were very supportive of him.

And thanks for providing a safe place where I was able to learn so much, and where I still come to vent when I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut in public.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 02:44AM

I've been around for 10 or 11 of those years! This site gave me the courage - and the knowledge - of how to jump ship.

I didn't even know that you COULD.

And the wonderful people past and present - who populate our community - you've given us a gathering place. Thank you again!

Posted by: En Sabah Nur nli ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 03:07AM

Thank you, Eric, for your sacrifice and service these past 20 years.

I first found RfM 5 years ago and lurked as a secret apostate for a year before I found the courage to post.

Three years ago I met my very best and dearest friend here.

You have changed my life for the better. Thank you so much for what you have done for me and countless others.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 06:11AM

Seven years out now due 100% to RfM. A big smoochy kiss for Eric and his staff.

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 06:37AM

Thank you for so much Eric for being part of the solution.
At this time all religion's could use an Eric.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 08:20AM

Happy anniversary, and thank you for all your time, effort and money.

Human

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 08:40AM

You've got six members of my family out so far. Woohoo!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 08:42AM

Talk about a one year experiment that got totally out of hand!

Well done, and thanks. Here's to twenty more years!

RFM
Cleaning up after broken shelves since 1995

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 08:43AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 08:48AM

I visited this site as a Gospel Doctrine teacher trying to figure out why anyone would need to "recover" from Mormonism. A few weeks of studying and reading this site and my Mormon testimony was gone.

Thank you--my life is so much better now because of this site.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:21AM

After going through the temple about four years ago for the first time, I was so horrified and disappointed that I Google Mormon Temple looking for understanding and found this site.

It's been such a big help knowing I was not alone. From the bottom of my heart thanks for creating this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 09:23AM by 64monkey.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:13AM

Wow. Thanks so much Eric. There are no words to describe how much this site has helped me move on with my life.

TBMs are so freakin dumb sometimes. They think that people who stay here and post here just can't leave the church and leave it alone or insist on living with a grudge or living in the past or whatever. It couldn't be more opposite.

It helped me accept the falacies I'd been raised with, just not forget them. In accepting them I could turn my life around instead of wallowing in "oh poor me, I should have finished college instead of dropping out to get married to make my parents happy. I should have a decent career instead of being a secretary the rest of my life. I have to find a man to take care of me because I can't support myself or live when I retire."

I had the support I needed to say, "hey move forward, you don't have to be stuck." I decided I wasn't too old to finish college. It helped me get a job that I can support myself on. It helped me realize how lucky I was to be able to enjoy being single. And many other things.

I will NEVER not be affected by my upbringing. I will always need support to be able to quit kicking myself in the butt because I didn't figure it out earlier. I need to know others feel they were as stupid as I was. I like learning about mormon history much more than I ever did as a mormon. And I like helping others as much as people have helped me. I love exmo meetups. We all need to be with our tribes sometimes. We need to celebrate our successes with others who realize what kind of battle we fought.

I loved meeting you and your lovely wife in Nashville and putting a face with the person behind this site. Thanks again for all your work.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:20AM

Congratulations, Eric!

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:29AM

When we think of "the law of unintended consequences," it's usually referencing something bad that we didn't foresee. This is exactly the opposite. Exmormon.org has done great things.

In my several years here, I've seen marriages preserved, sanity restored, and venting accommodated. It's been beautiful, ugly, satisfying, and rewarding.

Thank you, Eric!

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:31AM

Eric -

I have been participating on this site for a little over 10 years. This place was a lifesaver for me during some of my most fragile moments as I began my exit. As I read this board, I realized I was not insane or crazy AND that I was not alone. There were actually other people who felt the same as me and saw the LD$ church the same way. I am very appreciative that you created and maintain this site.

Thanks!
Adam

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:33AM

My exmo therapist sent me here 10 years ago. This board has helped me heal.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:34AM

I could never thank you enough for RFM Eric. I came here thinking I was completely over Mormonism and was curious why anyone thought they needed to recover.

What I found was that I had never recovered. I had only buried all the hurt so deep. It has been very good excavating it and sharing the experience with everyone here.

And all the best to our dear Susan too.

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:39AM

What timing, with Thanksgiving right around the corner and all!? Everyone has said it beautifully, and I add my sincere thanks to you Erik -

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:44AM

Turned out you were the big brother that helped keep us connected to life. I know you started out thinking a year would be sufficient only to discover it was a life time commitment that really never ends. Thank you for helping to keep me on track in life. Hugs. Dave

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:53AM

Congratulations! MT has helped so many and been such a stalwart anchorage in an otherwise portless exmormon world. You guys should be very proud.

Where else can a handful of amateur, regular, determined folks mess with and seriously impact a multi-billion dollar professional cult!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:06AM

Thank you for providing this forum.

My life has been strangely intertwined with Mormonism -- growing up on the periphery of the Zion Curtain, going to school with Mormons, dated and almost married a Mormon -- but I didn't know much about what it actually was or where it came from. I now know that:

1. Mormonism is a kooky cult that began as a scam. "The Book Of Mormon" was written by a group of conspirators in the 1820s and is totally fictional with no basis in fact whatsoever.

2. Mormons are not Christians. At best Mormonism could be described as heterodox Christianity. It was originally a sex and end times cult but is now a prosperity religion promulgating traditional American conservative values.

3. Many Mormons are secretly ashamed of what their leaders say or do in their name.

4. Mormonism has a long legacy of racism and intolerance that is too deeply embedded to be completely abandoned.

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:10AM

June 2004 I got internet in my computer and one of the first things I googled was "exmormon". I landed here and it was a major discovery for me. So many people had the same issues I had with the church, it wasn't my "lack of faith" the cause of my doubts. I post rarely, but visit often.
Congratulation, Eric K, to you and all those who help you keep this place going. Thank you for all you do.

Posted by: readerfromNorthernEurope ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:18AM

Eric! Thank you very much! I visited your site already in 1995 and during 1996-1999 I was a huge fan, as a reader that is.
Your site and the stories of people who left the church were very important to me at that time. I finally had the courage to leave the Church in 2000. Then I stopped visiting this site for many years but recently I have started to read this board again (for fun) and enjoy it - even though I hardly ever comment anything personally.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:33AM

Congratulations on the 20th anniversary of this extraordinary website!

I stumbled across it two years after DH and I stopped darkening the doorway of the church and temple, and a few years since our shelves collapsed. A reader/commenter on an LDS-related article on the SL Tribune referenced this site, and upon finding it, I read all the bios before landing here.

Thank you.

Posted by: Jes ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:41AM

Thanks for starting and maintaining a place where we could come and lay down our backpacks full of heavy stones. Love, Jes

Date: November 23, 2015 06:36PM

Posted by: Jes ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:14PM

Hi Randy! Yes, I am Jes from the old e-mail forum. What a pivotal time and place that was for me to finally get to express myself. I need to write again. I always enjoyed and learned from what you had to say. Good man.

I once wrote that with all the hidden nonsense in it, that the church was like an ice berg heading into a heat wave. And, they sure enough are in hot water, yeah?

Best regards!
Jes

Date: November 24, 2015 05:52PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:42PM

Hi Jes! We met down in your neck of the woods years ago. I, too, wondered how you were doing. (waving)

Posted by: Gaia ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 12:09PM

As a lurker who almost never posts, I must add to the appreciation expressed here. Thank you so much Eric. It's here I find updates on what's happening on the NoMo front and find treasure like the one today - a link to a wonderful young man who sang Imagine by John Lennon. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 12:21PM

RFM was the ONLY site with true information about TSCC and was the key to helping me assess the origins and continuing management of TSCC and figure out why none of the puzzle pieces fit. As a result DH and I made the decision to no longer fund and support a fraud.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 12:22PM

Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I have been out for 5 years and this site helped me transition faster and allowed me to make some life saving friends here.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 12:23PM

RfM was like at first and continues to be like a calibration tool for me and I think for other as well.

You know when things are bothering you and sometimes you just don't know what is wrong? Then you read something here and you know it was that little thing that happened a week ago and it drove you crazy and it was The Mormons, their church, something unrelated to Mormonism but definitely up their dark ally of prejudices...

And then I get to post, reply, talk to people and mostly read their thoughts. And it is balancing even if I hold none of their opinions or beliefs.

The mixing and melding of ideas, ideologies, and like-minded people all effects and affected by Mormonism.

Of all the things done for people leaving Mormonism, this probably has done so much and for so long as to boggle my mind.

And the way it works is integral in my opinion. It is simple and allows easily newbies to post. It is easy for trolls but sometimes I think these people have started to question what they are doing here.

Posted by: pasadena beggar ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 01:31PM

I've never been Mormon, but I read the site everyday, and have for several years.

The writers here teach me things I can use elsewhere. I'm struck by their courage, their loyalty to each other,
their support for others who are struggling to stay in, or get out.

You change the world a life at a time, and in that regard, sir, this place is no small thing.

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 01:50PM

Thank you all. You helped me a lot.

Godzilla
Or Observer

Posted by: rain ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 03:19PM

I love this place. Thank you for creating it and providing so much help and comfort to so many people on a daily basis. I have learned so much here about the religion of my ancestors, but fortunately not MY religion or my family's religion any more! Keep on keepin' on.

Posted by: Dennis Moore ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 04:01PM

I don't know what I would do without RfM. It has been my safe place!

Thank you so much!

-Dennis

Posted by: Bruce A Holt ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 07:04PM

Happy Thanksgiving, Eric! Thank's for this site and all you do to keep it going!

Posted by: masonfree ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 09:37PM

RfM has made a tremendous difference for me during a difficult time of transition and it's clear I'm not the only one. Thank you for all that you do!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:11PM

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:23PM

Just wanted chime in here and let you know that this site really explained alot with how my kids were being treated in the neighborhood...

20 yrs, no real advertising (except for legal issues related to recovery from mormonism..now).

It sounds like this started out as a blog....that just hung around.

Thanks and congrats..

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 10:27PM

Three cheers,
Huzzah
Hoch sollst du leben,
And all that,
Wishing many more.

Posted by: finallygetsit not logged in ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:28PM

Let me add my thanks for this site, too. Reading the stories and thoughts of others who have left (or are leaving) tscc has helped to give me strength in my own journey.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:54PM

I don't know what I'd do if RFM didn't exist or had I not found it when I did, or if I didn't have the dearfriend [nemo] who pointed me here, or if there weren't others of you out there also feeling, thinking, doing, having done and/ or about to do, think or feel as I have, am or might.

This is, in the minds of many, an incredibly helpful place where a person can learn about what goes on in the ldsc, (without pressure), not to mention it's history, doctrine, practices, expectations, news, drama, superstitions, fears, promises, beliefs, AND under where's!

Now, after 20 years, tens of thousands have and still find it intelligent, compassionate, beautiful, illuminating, life {and sanity} saving, not to mention colorful, interesting and/ or humorous and good for health.

Happy Thanksgiving Eric & Everybody, (this, and every time)

M@t

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 23, 2015 11:59PM

In addition to more useful information than I could process in a million years, this site has also brought me some wonderful new friends.

Thanks, Eric!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 12:11AM

Just three more to get to a hundred!

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 12:22AM

Thank you, thank you a million times over. Words cannot express my gratefulness!!! Happy, happy 20th Eric!!!!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:27AM

I've learned more here than I ever did in Mormon meetings, LDS church libraries, geneaology libraries, from the missionaries or my (2) Mormon friends.

The Mormon Church racist? Naw. They love everybody.

Sexist? No way. They "let" women pray in SM (a novelty for me, with a background of JW and fundy EV where women were to be not heard in every way).

Homophobic? I never heard a word about it during my 3 yrs in. Except for the guy I met in SLC whose uncle was the bishop, the guy who couldn't get into the temple because he was gay. So much sadness.

Racist. Sexist. Homophobic. And other stuff. I didn't see it (consciously) or notice it or learn about it while attending at the local LDS ward. But when other ex-mos and practising Mormons wrote on RfM about their experiences they had the ring of truth. Then I finally understood what was really going on.

I felt ill that I had been part of a church that taught about the second class citizenship of members of my own family for being mixed race.

I had already felt ill about the "monster" under the bed that I could feel but not yet see. RfM brought out the monster, the truth about the church I had joined.

Thank you, Eric, and all the amazing posters through the years. I feel a kinship with you all.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 07:36AM

"I've learned more here than I ever did in Mormon meetings, LDS church libraries, geneaology libraries, from the missionaries or my (2) Mormon friends."

How's that for irony..

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:44AM

I stumbled upon this site 6 years ago. At the time,I was a wreck and felt like an awful person. I thought I was a horrible mother. A few days on RfM and my mood and thoughts drastically changed. So many kind,understanding men and women here.

Thank you so much Eric. You have done so much for so many.

Posted by: ck ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:48AM

I found this site shortly after I realized the LDS church might not be telling me the whole truth. Thanks for helping me free myself from religious tyrrany.

Posted by: Elder Strangelove ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:54AM

Thank you, Eric!

Thank you, admin!

Thanks to everyone who shares their stories!

Thanks for one more night of not enough sleep!

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 02:11AM

THANK YOU!!

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:22AM

I also found this site after leaving the church, and that was 8 years ago. Wonderful site Eric. Much appreciated.

Posted by: CO2 ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:09AM

Thank you Eric and Susan! I think I found this site about 1995, when you started. You were the first contact I had with any exmos. In 1983, I read the Tanner's book, "Mormonism Shadow or Reality" and I realized we had been snookered and I began my long journey out. At first, I tried confiding in a couple of LDS friends. Let's just say it didn't work out so well. For over 10 years I felt very alone in my disbelief, then rFm came along. I still recall the relief and joy I felt when I finally found fellow travelers. Many thanks to the brilliant Steve Benson and Bob McCue. Last year, I finally resigned. rFm has been a great help.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:25AM

Blessings from whomever or the Universe, Eric.

If you were in the UK I'd put you up for an award from the Queen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2015 09:25AM by matt.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 04:55AM

Posted by: gerry1962 ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:32AM

I have learnt such a lot - thank you.

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:39AM

This is the one place that I have found like minded people to share frustrations with and be understood. I want to give my heart felt gratitude and let you know that I appreciate it.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 12:11PM

I'll chime in too. Since late 1996 or early 1997, this place has been the one place I can vent about religion. It's been the one place I have found people with similar backgrounds. It's been a great diversion and place of sanity.

Great people.

Great lessons to be learned here.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:06PM

I found this place shortly after it opened. Nice decor. Minimalist but tastefully decorated. The hostess is the mostest.

This is a second home for some of us. We may not post often, but we sit in the comfortable chairs and watch fellow visitors come, share pain, share joy, and share knowledge. Then we fight about historical Jesus just to keep it lively. Not sure what a day without RFM would be like. It seems to be my default website.

Anyway... Thanks Eric. Exmormon.org was a godsend when being an exmormon wasn't cool.

HH =)

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 01:40PM

This was the first site I found and helped me so much and got me in touch with others having doubts.

THANKS!

Posted by: Bluebonnet ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 06:51PM

Thank you, thank you thank you!!!

Posted by: Ishii ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 08:53PM

Thank you Erik!!! Your service over the last twenty years has been invaluable to so many. This site has made an immeasurable change in my own life and this is one of the first places I found when I began questioning Mormonism.

I cannot begin to fathom the amount of time and emotional effort it has taken to keep this site going for two decades.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:23PM

An amazing site that has helped so many. Hope it sticks around for another 20 at least!

Posted by: Ex-Sis ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 09:40PM

You, and all who have kept the site running have made an enormous difference in innumerable lives.

Happy Anniversary and thank you to all who have sacrificed time and safety to help and educate others!

Posted by: kak75 aka kak57 ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:12PM

I found RFM via a search engine in late 1996 or early 1997 and have visited here numerous times since. This site helped kill the remaining recurring worries and fears of "what if Mormonism is true after all?" during my time as an investigator.

This is a unique site with a wonderful and tremendous wealth of information. A compelling aspect about this site is the humanity of the Mormon/exMormon experience both in it and out of it, something that could not be gotten quite in the same way in books from the library.

Thank you!

kak75 aka kak57

Posted by: Sethro Tull ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:30PM

This is the place for the cool kids.

Found RFM Dec. 2002, Mormonism suddenly made sense.

Thanks all, and keep rockin' in the free world.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 24, 2015 10:31PM

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 03:58AM

The information I came across on this site, almost 12 years ago, as a 14 year old, opened my eyes and changed my life. I never knew Joseph Smith was a money digger, started polygamy, married other men's wives, married a 14 year old, and numerous other damning things. I never knew about Ethan Smith and the view of the Hebrews, Solomon Spaulding, the many versions of the first vision, the dubious nature of the Book of Abraham, the laughable implausibility of the Book of Mormon. There was so much this site gave me. Initially (for the first decade) I just lurked, absorbing information and gaining the internal fortitude to make my break. If it weren't for what I Know from this site, I would still be trembling before the pressures of my family, going to church, paying my tithing, probably attending some second-rate church affiliated university like BYU-idaho, and I probably would have gone on a mission.

my life has not been a picnic for a totally separate reason, but I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that it would be worse if I had ignored the lingering doubts that I had when I was 13 years old that drove me to question, and eventually drove me to this site and others affiliated with it and like it. I owe a huge debt of gratitude to whoever is responsible for keeping up the stories, the pages of information, and everything else that keeps available the real things people need to know about the Morg. If that man is you, Eric K., thank you.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 06:29AM

Thank you!

Posted by: Voce d' Sicce ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 02:53PM

Thank you, Eric & RFM Admin, for helping me choose life and stay reasonably sane.

(Oh, and should you actually be reading this far down on the list, thank you for overlooking my occasional episodes of adult-onset Tourette's, whilst I'm at it. Mighty decent of you, I must say.)

Kindest Regards,

Sicce

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 03:50PM

Thanks for all the kind replies!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.