Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:10PM

When snow is forecast, the weatherman wears a white suit coat. It's a tradition that was started by his weatherman father, I believe.

What's funny is what my never mo SO said about it..."I wonder if he bought that at a medical clothing place." My own thought process was that he got it at a Temple clothing store.

I guess it is all about perspective and our own background. He had no idea that the men are all in white in the temple.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:47PM

Making sure the job stays in the family, just like COB and BYU, Ricks etc.

I grew up in Utah and graduated from college there. His dad was awkwardly TBM with 7 kids and molly mo wife. I met his father Mark a few times where I worked and dated his neighbor. I don't remember any white coat, but I left Utah a long time ago.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 01:51PM

"awkwardly TBM"

That there is a meme, I think. And it conjures up images aplenty.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 08:54PM

This isn't about Bob Welti? The TBM weatherman from the 60s and 70s?

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:43PM

No. They are referring to Mark Eubank, who was a long time weatherman for KSL in Utah. He was as close to being a stake president in Bountiful, and as far as I know he could have been one.

I was gone from SLC for almost 17 years so I lost track of all of the news people that were worshipped by Utahns. Dick Nourse, who everyone thought was TBM but wasn't. My exwife knew one of his girlfriends while he was still married.

Paul James and Bob Welti, were the sports and weather guys for KSL, in the 60's and 70's IIRC.

Posted by: danbo ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 02:16AM

Norse, Welty and James(local) and Cronkite (national) were the only news we ever watched since the station was owned by the church.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 12:37PM

Paul James is a good friend of mine; from what I understand, he's bounced back between church activity and unbelief, and he's in the latter camp lately, altough I understand he's facing serious health problems.

I met Welti through Paul; he wouldn't remember me, of course, but he's a class act, as are the other two.

Nourse was in my cab a few years ago. One Halloween, I picked up a party at a downtown bar--same one rodolfo held an Exmormon get-together at--and it included a white-haired old man with a beard.

I was slow to come to that party; he mentioned KSL, and I asked him if he knew my grandfather--an early advertising pioneer here--and he said yes and added he'd worked for KSL for thirty years or so...

I asked him his name, and was naturally embarrassed (it was a good costume, Dick), but he was genuinely gracious and gave me a fat tip...

The trip was long enough we did discuss the LDS Church and whatever the recent scandal was...

As for "Snowbank and Son," their level of emotional growth is perfectly suited to their current LDS audience.

And a last item: Welti and James actually worked for Channel Four (KCPX) early in the 1960's...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 12:40PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: November 27, 2015 07:02PM

He indeed seemed like a nice genuine person. Dick Nourse dated a relative of mine, but from what I understand he "dated" half of the females in SLC.

Posted by: dogblogger ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 12:14PM

Paul James died within the last week or so.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 26, 2017 12:27PM

Years ago I was walking home VERY late at night on main street in
SLC. A car pulls up to the curb and out pops Dick Nourse. He
goes to an ATM and makes a withdrawal, then gets in his car and
heads west on Second South.

I have no idea where he was going with a fist full of cash at
that time of night.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:16PM

The 15 wear white whenever possible. It's their way of predicting that the members are about to be snowballed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2015 12:43AM by messygoop.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:25PM

Ha-ha-Ha-ha-ha!!-

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 25, 2015 09:30PM

Kevin Ubanks is the weather guy who wears the white coat and black pants. HIs dad wore it also.

Wore it tonight.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 12:42AM

If Kevin is anything like his father then he is a damn good weatherman.

Date: November 26, 2015 02:42PM

Television forecasters use the predictions of the National Weather Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NWS and NOAAA). They just put together the graphics for their presentation.

Google NOAA Graphical Forecast for your area and scroll through the hours for the the next few days, also the NWS forecast for your area and you will have a better forecast than Welti and Snowbank and can display all the radar data and satellite data they use in their broadcasts.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 04:04PM

the secret is in the presentation.

Mark Eubank was very good.

Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 01:40AM

Wouldn't that clash with the screen they do the weather forecasts on!???

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 01:28PM

southern idaho inactive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wouldn't that clash with the screen they do the
> weather forecasts on!???

Maybe, but it won't hurt anything.
Now, a green jacket...that would mess everything up :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 03:02AM

When Bob Welti left, then Mark Eubank went to KSL. Then his son started at KUTV and moved over to KSL several years ago. I never liked Mark Eubank. I thought he talked to the audience like they were children. I laughed out loud when he came up with "Hatu winds" meaning they come out of some direction.

I've been around too long. Can't stand KSL news. I don't watch much of the local news anymore unless there is something I want to see.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 07:55AM

The term is "haboob", an Arabic word for a hot summer dust storm. It is a frequent trope in dystopian adventure movies set in the desert - a big wall of dust moving toward a vital convoy or some such.

Mark Eubank was enormously popular, and also had a thriving business doing agricultural forecasts as far away as the western Dakotas. It was called Weatherbank. Mark had been weatherman on KUTV for years, and switch to KSL, basically getting a year paid vacation because of the non-compete clause in his KUTV contract. KSL wanted him that badly. It was probably money well spent. He was a huge draw for the station.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 12:45PM

Picture the state of UTAH - nah go ahead, it'll be alright - imagine that UTAH is spelled in a vertical line north to south.

When a dry, hot wind was coming in blowing south to north, that was a "HATU" wind.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 09:28PM

Ok, that's pretty lame. I must have missed that epoch.

Date: December 22, 2017 05:23PM

Date: December 22, 2017 05:27PM

He obviously had not been informed that those hatu winds were really Santa Ana winds.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 07:08PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> He obviously had not been informed that those hatu
> winds were really Santa Ana winds.

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahaahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhaha

Thanks I needed that.

Date: November 27, 2015 12:46PM

I remember him stating it on TV several times and explaining where he got the term. I never liked him. That's my feeling. That doesn't mean everyone else can't like him, but I didn't.

Maybe he reminded me too much of other mormon men I knew. I don't care how good of a weatherman he was.

I think wearing a stupid white coat when there will be snow is rather juvenile myself, but if it works for everyone else, that's okay by me. Doesn't mean I have to think it's special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2015 12:47PM by cl2.

Posted by: Keri ( )
Date: December 21, 2017 10:09PM

Mary Nickles works @ KUTV, a CBS affiliate in Salt Lake City, Utah. She wanted to get back to Utah

Date: December 21, 2017 10:13PM

Get back to Utah right now

Date: December 25, 2017 12:32AM

Utah

Date: December 25, 2017 12:35AM

Salt Lake City

Date: October 15, 2018 12:31AM

Are there biscuits in Utah?

Posted by: BehaveUtah ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 12:36AM

Who is hitching a ride in a Mazda B-Series to Salt Lake City?

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: November 26, 2015 03:59PM

So let me get this straight,

TV meteorologists in Utah are also high-ranking TBMs?

So does that mean, if their forecasts are accurate, they get promoted, and if their 10-day forecasts are accurate they might get skyrocketed to a Q15 appointment; and if their forecasts are wrong, they're demoted, or even ex'ed?

Second question:
Would TBM weathermen be OK with a puppet alongside them on TV?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 12:50PM

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: November 28, 2015 03:20AM

Thank you Mr. Dylan. I always loved that song.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: November 28, 2015 09:57AM

...the vandals stole the handle

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 12:16PM

Agnes Broomhead Wrote:
> Second question:
> Would TBM weathermen be OK with a puppet alongside
> them on TV?

Maybe if it were a female puppet who knew its place?

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 01:22PM

Wow...this thread sure went in a different direction. I was just making the observation that a never mo had about Where the weatherman bought his white coat (thinking medical clothing store) compared to an exmo's thought it came from a temple clothing store.

But, there have been some very interesting tidbits of information about the whole news organization at KSL, so it's all good!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 01:22PM

Well, the white coat snow prophecy this weekend was about as accurate as Horny Joe's Missouri Zion--it didn't happen. The Boner.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 01:43PM

A few more bits of trivia: Yes, HATU was Utah spelled backwards.

Also: at the time, IIRC, Mark Eubank was rightly proud of his credentials. He was one of the few weather presenters at the time who really and truly had a bona fide degree in meteorology- so he wasn't being condescending. He was being rigorous and enthusiastic about it. There's a difference.

And about the white coat: it was a sign of Mark's confidence in predicting snow in the next 24 hrs or so. And there are any number of places to buy one.

Date: November 27, 2015 02:04PM

I took a class from Bob Welti at the Y in 1969. I didn't dislike him, but I certainly didn't think he was anything special.

The class was Copywriting. You can teach some things about copywriting, but you can't teach the state of mind, or the condition, that allows someone to put words together that will accomplish the aims of he who ordered the copy written.

I was as immature, cocky (read 'dickhead') and opinionated then as I am now. He hated how I tried to make a joke out of everything, how I always went for a laugh in what I was writing. Sure, I understood his point about some copy needing to be serious, but it made sense to me that if I was going to make it as a copywriter (which was my goal then), that I needed a strong point. And obviously, it was humor!

Just before Xmas break, he gave us an assignment to write copy for a local radio station. We were to drive out to the station, be given an advertiser, write some radio ads for the advertiser, and turn in copies to him of what we'd written.

I went out to the station and was assigned to write 30 second ads for that burger joint that was in that triangle space right at the entrance to the Y, on University, just across from Provo High. Naturally I wrote silly, sexually themed ads involving an RM who was more horny for the burgers than for the sweet young thing he was with...

I turned in copies to Welti and left for Vegas for Christmas.

First class back he calls my name and begins to lecture me about how I'd wasted my time, and the stations time, but churning out silly, adolescent, puerile 'garbage' that had absolutely no chance of ever making it on the air.

Naturally, this aroused a modicum of interest in my classmates, if only to give them the chance to make sport of me. Someone asked him to read my copy, so Welti did, doing the voices, male and female, and emphasizing the silliness.

There was laughter, and then there was clearing of voices... Welti could see that he wasn't winning them over to his side. And so he began to talk about a moral responsibility copywriters had and that writing stuff that would never air was irresponsible. A couple of people were still giggling and he turned his growing wrath on them. Only to be told that ALL of my ads had run over the Xmas break. ALL OF THEM!

Bro. Welti was completely deflated by that news.

I, on the other hand, got a hard on...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 08:21PM

Here's hoping it didn't go to waste! The Boner.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 03:31PM

Wasn't the burger place the "High Spot"? I was a Communications Major at BYU from 67-70 also, as I presume you were. Maybe we had some classes together. I remember taking a Copywriting class with a manual typewriter. High Spot did have good burgers and shakes.

Date: December 25, 2017 03:49PM

I'm pretty sure I was the only full-on Lamanite-looking male in the the department!

What with being married, a new baby, cooking five nights a week at Mr. Steak (ever eat there?) and thinking about riding my EQP post right to the Quorum of the Twelve, I never made any friends in my classes. Oh yeah, I skied all I could. Saved uo some money and bought Head 360s and thought I king shit... I drove a black 1962 Buick Skylark convertible with a dark red top, and lived out on Lakeview Drive, near the Lakeview chapel. (Wow, the memories are starting to cascade!)

What a mope I was...BYU was the college I was finally able to graduate from!

...And you??

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 11:01AM

great story.

JFTR, Bob Welti always reminded me of Barney Fife ie somebody that would be really hard to take very seriously in any given circumstance. My special nick name for him was Dippy Bob Welti. Your story pretty much backs up those sentiments.

Date: October 15, 2018 11:25AM

Absolute great story EOD, great. By the way, burger joint was High Spot. Decent burgers, but talk about a can’t miss location! Thanks for the story...brought back memories.

Date: October 15, 2018 11:28AM

Oops, didn’t read post date and just noticed I’d made similar comment years ago. So, never mind.

Date: October 15, 2018 09:28PM

Hahahahahaha! Bobofitz, we're getting old!!

Date: October 17, 2018 12:29PM

I’m afraid the “gettin” is done. I got.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: October 17, 2018 01:58PM

That there is an excellent entry in the short-story contest ...

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 02:11PM

Hard on???? Speaking of hard on's that guy sounds like one of

those holier than thou,mormon men who think their shit doesn't stink. What a dick he was.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 27, 2015 08:29PM

The men in my wedding all wore a white sports coat. Vintage stores still have them.
Lots of well known men's wear make a white sports coat.

Remember the song: White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation?

(Those used in the temple are very different (polyester) from the nice ones made and worn in the 50's and 60's and the beautiful fabrics sold in stores today. )

I'll always love a beautiful white sports coat on a man!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 28, 2015 12:10AM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> The men in my wedding all wore a white sports
> coat. Vintage stores still have them.
> Lots of well known men's wear make a white sports
> coat.
>
> Remember the song: White Sport Coat and a Pink
> Carnation?
>
> (Those used in the temple are very different
> (polyester) from the nice ones made and worn in
> the 50's and 60's and the beautiful fabrics sold
> in stores today. )
>
> I'll always love a beautiful white sports coat on
> a man!

Great singer and song writer: Marty Robbins

One of my favorites.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: November 28, 2015 10:01AM

'White Sportcoat and a Pink Crustacean'
~Jimmy Buffett

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 15, 2018 08:57PM

Ya beat me to it!

Posted by: cokeisoknowdrinker ( )
Date: November 28, 2015 09:23AM

Mark Eubank became a mission president in Hawaii iirc.
His moniker was Eu-dink

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 22, 2017 06:33PM

So mark was a big time utah (MORmON) weather man. So Mark Junior ( Kevin) wanted to be a weatherman too. Fact is, Mark Sr. said well, that is nice, son, I can certainly understand why some one would want to be a TV weather man because that is what I wanted to do, but you have to face reality, son. You will probably never make it as a male TV news person because your voice is too high and too squeaky.

But Kevin never gave up,even though things were not working out very well for him.

Then a miracle came, in the form of a tornado, that helped Kevin launch his TV weather man career in spite of his squeaky voice.

No Joke,actual story as taken from Kevin's LDS Fireside talk.

Some one else can take it from there. I have already said way too much that sounds like (.....like, I really care about that deal) a MORmON faith promoting tale.

Posted by: waunderdog ( )
Date: December 25, 2017 11:40AM

gemini Wrote:
> "I wonder if he bought that at a medical
> clothing place."...
> he got it at a Temple clothing store.

Perhaps he got it at the Colonel Sanders/Matlock costume store.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: December 26, 2017 11:18AM

In the 60's and 70's the Walker Bank building roof sign would blink on and off indicating a storm was on the way. At the time, it was one of the taller buildings in SLC and the sign was visible throughout the valley.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: December 26, 2017 12:38PM

I rode up on the 'gondola' with Kevin and a few others before and tried to see if he had very much 'pride' by kidding around with him.

Actually, he seemed pretty down to earth and the last thing he wanted was for me to point out he was on the mountain.

I almost talked the others on the ride up to take us all to breakfast as they kept trying to relate a part of their past that they 'obviously missed'. But I let them off the hook just before we got to the top.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.