Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: godzilla22 ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:12PM

As stated previously my Dad has been a stake president for half of my life. I'm not really active anymore, I'm actually agnostic. But something I noticed whilst growing up in the faith the the vast amount of suck ups or brown nosers there would be who would suck up to my Dad just so they can get a calling like being bishop or something. I just don't understand; why would one want this sort of calling? It's hard and busy as hell. I know for my Dad it was like working 2 jobs. Or people would be nice to be just because my Dad was stake president, and then when he wasn't looking or whatever those same people would turn around and be complete dicks to me. (I was bullied emotionally throughout my youth growing up in the faith mostly because I didn't fit the status qua".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:17PM

LDS men make tremendous sacrifices in this life for promised rewards. They expect power in return for those sacrifices.

Many have suppressed their sexuality and compromised their integrity. They traded a good education for a mission, married the wrong woman, had more kids than they could afford, or care for properly. A Bishop calling isn't too much to ask for.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 06:35PM

You summed up Mormonism very well

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:18PM

Must be human nature but Jesus is cool this this kind of carnal man. It makes him "da man."

I don't like suck ups or people who try to bully me with their values and their experiences in life.

Like Sarte said, "Hell is other people."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:24PM

I think many TBM men have an unspoken desire or need to be worthy to be called to be a bishop, or SP or dare one dream...a GA...and their wives relish the idea (and the prestige) too....JMHO.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2016 01:58PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 01:53PM

The whole scheme is designed to capitalize on pride and ego. Afterall, young teengars are given title "Priest", older teenagers are named "Elders", people who are lay ministers are called "Bishops", etc.

Posted by: hellno ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 03:20PM

Their jobs depend on sucking up. There isn't much economic opportunity in many areas of Utah. Keeping one's job isn't so much about competency as sticking to the party line. Putting up with unreasonable demands is much better than bankruptcy.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 03:23PM

It's the only status or power they will ever have in their life. I think it's a big reason there are so many men in the mormon church. If it wasn't for power and status they wouldn't be there.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 04:21PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 04:41PM

And self-absorbed people like my parents have a new set of assigned friends every time they move to escape the troubles they've created for themselves in the community. It's usually every two years or less. They count home teachers as friends, which is like claiming that the mailman comes by every weekday for a social visit. You pay your dues and the ward provides ersatz society. It's no wonder the church attracts arrogant narcissists.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 05:57PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's no wonder the church attracts arrogant
> narcissists.

I wonder if you are confusing correlation with causality? Just kidding. I know that it is an attraction. You can see that some of the most devout Mormons are also some of the most narcissistic. Mormonism is a religion designed for narcissists and it came from a deluded dysfunctional family filled with them. The Smith Family Curse is a religion.

Posted by: lovechild ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 10:04PM

Then there are the suckers who know they will never be the suckees. They make themselves useful by serving as "tattle-tales."

The suckees love the tattle-tales because they provide opportunities for the suckees to exercise their power over those who are neither suckers nor suckees.

Hence tale bearing is one of the favorite pastimes of low-level nazi mormons.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 03:24PM

Horny Joe couldn't have succeeded without a plethora of suck ups.

It's a time honored Mormon tradition.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 03:54PM

Truly this is the church that suck ups built...and delusion...self deprecation...and narcissism...and sociopathy..and deceit...you gotta say ...it would be so difficult to remain objective if you evrr broke into the big time...the perks...rock star status...fans drooling at every stop..even if you suspected it was all bunk...the ride would be just too hard to turn off...especially if you lacked moral fiber...but all is well...cyz gawd has a weak spot for sukkups...id imagine briggy and hebes were likely two of the biggest and best...hell hebes traded a perfectly good 14 year old in for whatever she would bring in profit currency...and the first model of bit coin was born

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 04:24PM

I find it universal -- all religions basically play "suck up" one way or another. Ever listen to the Catholic channel? Such "suck up" for the pope, it's sickening.
Oh and their great testimonies to how others have converted because of Mary. Oh please.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 07:24PM

That channel is broadcasting "the party line," and wouldn't reflect how an ordinary Catholic feels about things. Catholics tend to respect the office, but not necessarily the person occupying that office. I heard plenty of disagreement with the pope when I was active.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 04:30PM

Men get the "glory" of the calling.....what do women get out of the deal?

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 07:38PM

Ummmm....they get to teach Primary?

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 10:07PM

No wonder I always felt cheated

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 01, 2016 11:23PM

It's really a problem in the whole world. People are di*** to each other, have no sympathy for each other in the work place. Gossip, fight with each other, but rarely raise a toe nail against the boss or disagree. Unless they are ready to quit. At which time they explode and lose everything. The boss doesn't even care. Mormonism is no different.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.