Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: naduah ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 11:33AM

It was so great in the beginning. The people are still wonderful. I gradually got a lot more info. I don't understand why the church room is is bare and cold. The music is atrocious. Now I find they don't have a custodian. We are supposed to clean the bathrooms. No way I'm cleaning toilets. I don't do mine. I have a cleaning lady.Are all the worthy men going to be "gods"? Why does a young lady with four little one's be made to be president of Relief Society? How can I get out of this? The people are so nice and sincere.
/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 11:52AM

You are lucky to realize the mistake early on. Your observations are right on. Truly.

So glad you are here. Keep reading. This place is a big eye opener when it comes to Mormonism and what is said will be backed up with reason and fact. And the really truly nice and sincere people are here.

No one is keeping you in the Mormon church but you. You can leave any time you want. Just because people appear to be nice is no reason to do something that doesn't feel right. All you have to say is "I changed my mind--it's just not right for me."

Then, expect some pressure. The pressure will be even more kindness. Kindness and friendliness are often weapons in Mormonism. So keep your eyes open and you will see that not all the people are as nice and sincere as they appear to be. Over time you will see that as Mormons it is part of the indoctrination to appear that way. It is their duty. Misery loves company.

And don't let anyone tell you ever that the church can't afford custodians. Big lie.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 11:54AM

Here are the instructions:

http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm

Basically, you send in a letter saying you are out. That's it. The social disentanglement is another matter however. Even after you resign, they keep you on the books as "inactive" until your 110th birthday.

Lesley Gore -- "You Don't Own Me" (1963)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUjeR01wnU

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 12:04PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here are the instructions:
>
> http://packham.n4m.org/leaving.htm
>
>
> Basically, you send in a letter saying you are
> out. That's it. The social disentanglement is
> another matter however. Even after you resign,
> they keep you on the books as "inactive" until
> your 110th birthday.
>
>
> Lesley Gore -- "You Don't Own Me" (1963)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDUjeR01wnU

I love the Lesley Gore song.

Date: January 06, 2016 12:13PM

Best song ever! Have you ever heard her sing California Nights?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 12:07PM

Just remember if you hadn't of gotten baptized you may never have discovered RfM!

So that's something to be glad about. :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 12:08PM

Wait until you mention your doubts and problems to them -- then see how "nice and sincere" they are :(

Yes, you made a mistake. Fortunately, it's a correctable one.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 12:35PM

When you start expressing your doubts, you will soon see the ugly side of the corporation. It was a shock to many of us when we began our exits out. There will be some superficial niceness directed towards you at first. That will change. We will be here.

Posted by: hurting ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 12:39PM

Amen, ificouldhietokolob!!!!!!

Posted by: hurting ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 12:41PM

Yes, everything's hunky-dory until you mention unmentionables

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 12:50PM

I don't see how Mormons can pay tithing, which is nearly $500 a month for the average American Mormon family, and not see how little they get in return.

A janitor making $2.5k per month is doing pretty well. With 3 wards in a building, and 100 TBM families per ward, they are banking $150,000 a month. You'd think they could spare spare 2% of their tithing to keep their chapels clean and well maintained.

What else is the money for if you cannot even take care of your spiritual buildings? They don't pay their clergy except for the top brass. They don't pay their missionaries. What are they doing with that extra $100k or so per month per chapel?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 01:06PM

"I don't see how Mormons can pay tithing, which is nearly $500 a month for the average American Mormon family, and not see how little they get in return."

That's the beauty of this giant Ponzi scheme. Your ROI is the promise of the things that you get in the next life. You paying on faith. Plus, it must work, otherwise you'd hear all kinds of complaints from people that died & didn't have those promises kept.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 01:13PM

Right!!!

There are no complaints on Yelp by dead mormons!

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 01:20PM

Exactly. And from the BBB & an investigation by 60 Minutes. The fact that none of those have happened is proof that the church is true!

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 01:14PM

With no tangible benefits and only vaporware promised in the next life, any hint that it's not true will have you running for the exits.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 01:19PM

Stick around long enough and they will tell you that God told them you should be the next person to babysit the nursery every Sunday. They like to give that job to the newbies.

Date: January 06, 2016 01:42PM

For sure. That's how the lady with four little one's got roped into being RS pres.

I'm sure she knew it was too much for her, but the Bishop told her Heavenly Father wanted her to do it--yea, called her to do it and so there she is doing it because she is "nice and sincere."

Stick around and Heavenly Father will "call" you to clean the church. No kidding. The Holy Ghost himself will reveal it to the Bishop.

Geez!

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 01:22PM

Yeah we all made that mistake Sugar. I was only 8 but what the hell. We're all suffering. Welcome to RFm.... enjoy the ride.

Date: January 06, 2016 06:04PM

How come you never call me 'Sugar'?

Date: January 06, 2016 06:12PM

Tell them you were lied to, lies of omission. That if they'd revealed what you've come to find out since joining, you'd have never joined.

Tell them that just on their records with racism, sexism and the gays, there's no way you're raising your kids to be mormons.

You may have to repeat it a few times...

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 01:48PM

We all make mistakes. I made mine at 8, as many young, unsuspecting children did. I couldn't appreciate, or didn't understand or notice, the cold rooms until I grew up.

The interviews, settlements, callings, recommends... the cover-ups, lies, omissions, fabrications, apologies... pressures, fears, guilts, promises; superstitions, beliefs, practices, worries... and other oddities are strange, manipulative, invasive and inhumane.

You have a lot of questions. Ever visited http://mormonthink.com? Ever think about resigning or getting exed, fired, thrown out or simply leaving?

Pay someone to clean, just like you do at home: "brother or sister need-a-buck, I won't be able to clean this month; would you be interested and willing to do it in my stead, I mean in exchange for $40? Thanks kid"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2016 01:49PM by moremany.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 02:11PM

There are nice and sincere people at many churches you can go to.

I agree with those who say, "Study, study, study." Learn all you can about the church that you have espoused and you will know what to do.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 05:05PM

Stop attending, turn in a resignation to member records in SLC, and tell any Mormons who call you that you've decided to give it a break and that they need not call back. You don't owe anyone apologies or explanations since you're an adult with freedom to make this decision.

Good luck.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 06:15PM

May I ask the reason why you joined? You didn't mention theology, so I'm wondering if it was more social. And by golly, those missionaries are just so sincere and nice, they *must* be on to something good, right?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 06:19PM

The best and easiest way to get out is to resign. Complete directions for how to do so can be found here:

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Once you've resigned, don't be surprised if your former Mormon friends treat you like you've got the plague. The Mormon church trains them to fear apostates.

I agree with you about the lack of services provided by the Mormon church to its members. It drains money from members and gives little back.

Keep reading and posting. We're glad to have you here. :)

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: January 06, 2016 06:41PM

"Now I find they don't have a custodian. We are supposed to clean the bathrooms."

You mean the missionaries didn't mention this little detail? What a surprise! There's a lot you weren't told while you were investigating the church, and you're finding it out now.

"I don't understand why the church room is bare and cold."

The rooms are bare and cold for the same reason members clean the toilets. Decorations, heating, and custodians cost money, and the church LOVES money. Every dollar spent on behalf of the members can't go to church leaders and their families.

"Are all the worthy men going to be 'gods'?"

All the men *think* they're worthy – and yes, they all think they're going to be gods. Oh, and each of them expects to have a whole host of goddess-wives to bear their spirit children to populate their worlds without number. Really, they do, even though it's not openly discussed as often as in the past.

Once you resign, depending on where you live and the type of people in your ward, be aware that you may still get some reactivation attempts. (Mormons can be slow sometimes.) Block their calls, send their emails to spam, and don't answer the door if they try to visit you.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 07, 2016 01:24AM

You are being love-bombed (complemented) by those "nice" people, that's how cults operate.

Chances are high you were targeted for conversion and Mormons wormed themselves into your life.
Their goal was to manipulate you into getting baptized.

Now you will be loaded down with never-ending requests for free service.
Oh, and they also want 10% of your income before taxes.

STOP interacting with Mormons or they will ruin your life !!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.