Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: johnnybugeyes ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 01:28AM

I picked up my daughter from high school today, then swung by the junior high to pick up my nephew. The 2 of them began talking about an 8th grade girl who committed suicide last night. This girl is in my nephews ward. 8th grade? Ripped my heart out to hear. So sad.

I've got no discipline when it comes to speaking freely with my nephew and asked him, "Was she gay?" Only because of the strings of suicides that have be rampant in the church. I shouldn't have asked that, nephew is in 7th grade and I don't know how much he understands.

He said, "No, but I heard she did something really bad and didn't feel worthy enough to see her brother again...?" I was perplexed...and responded, "What do you mean?"

My nephew said that her brother came home from his mission today...

My daughter knows where I am at, and whispered to me to "turn it off." As she could see the explosion about to take place. So I did turn it off...as I should have. Not the right place to go off.

Later, my nephews Mother said that the family of the girl was the most awesome, picture perfect family.

I ache for the family, any family who loses someone to a suicide. I ache for the young man who came home today, to find his little sister is gone.

Having to set my hatred for the church aside as my thoughts go to this family.

Terribly sad. Happened in a little town, south of Provo, somewhere between Spanish Fork and Payson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 02:11AM

An eighth grade girl, 14?, did something so "...bad that she didn't feel worthy of seeing her brother again..."

Someone had to have preached it pretty damn hard to have inculcated that girl sufficiently so that personal annihilation was one of the options.

I can't be the only one who cringes when they hear, "...the family was awesome, picture perfect..."

I'll forget about this in a couple of days, but right now it serves to stoke the fires of my disgust for the role the mormon religion demands to play in *perfecting* its members.

Posted by: JohnnyBreeze ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 02:24AM

yes. I cringed as well. I think I mentally imploded when I heard picture perfect

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 03:33AM

"Perfect" in grammar-speak means completed, done, finished. A "picture perfect" family, indeed.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 10:21AM

Picture perfect family. This is the goal. Not the love, not the understanding. Not the parents arms as a safe haven no matter what. This is the Mormon church.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Keeping UP the Perfect Front.

When I was this girl's age, I too did something pretty awful that could have ruined my life. The first words out of my mother's mouth were, "How will I face everyone at church tomorrow?" That is what Moronism did to her.

I am just sickened at what this poor little girl must have been feeling--the unimaginable despair. No matter how badly the family feels now, what she was feeling was far worse and completely unnecessary.

When will Mormons learn?

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: February 19, 2016 11:18AM

Yikes, "picture perfect". Or this one makes me cringe too. Model Family. I know that it is only a facade. When something drives a person to end themselves because they don't feel worthy...Disgusting. I can only assume, but it is heartbreaking either way.

I always hated the word worthy. All life has value and suggesting that doing something decreases that value is ridiculous. Especially if your god is supposed to be a all loving father.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.