Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 08:33PM

I have some clothing that I just can't bear to part with. It's worn out, has holes in it, but I still wear it (mostly around the house), because I still like it. Eventually I know I'll have to throw it away.

Old software can be like that also. I have a couple of computer programs I still use from time to time that are from the 1980's and I just love them. There are newer "better" programs, but sometimes there are things that I still think work better in the old way. I have several programs from the 90's that I still think are HANDS DOWN better than their modern replacements, but gradually, I'm getting used to using some of the newer stuff.

I know some people complained about the "look" and "feel" of the old board, but I loved it. I'm sure this one will be fine also, and it clearly was time to move on because it was no longer functioning, but I do lament the passing of some of the older ways. For example, I still think that gopher a would be perfectly acceptable protocol for some things, and maybe even a board like this. But, gopher have way to HTML, ah well. Eventually my last DOS-only computers will stop working, and I'll have to stay in a GUI world all the time.

Are there still any boards or gopher interfaces out there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 08:38PM

I liked the old board too, but I think this new board will be good. It's not home grown, so it will be easier to maintain. Less stress for Susan and Eric.

It's nice to have RfM back.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 09:50PM

Many of the tasks I do are simple and I do not need or want a lot of bells an whistles. Take word processing for example. I don't need 95% of what is in the newest word processors, so the old word processors work great for me.

I use Linux, in part, because I can drop down and use the command line to do work that is easier to do on a command line.

Newer does not always make it better. More options does not make it better for those that don't need or want any of those new options. GUI is not always better than CLI.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 09:50PM by mj.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 09:53PM

I like not having a hundred little graphics to load when I access a page. It just slows me down and doesn't give me much in return. I like this minimalist format. And I like the Linux command line for the same reason. :)

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 11:08PM

I agree. The board loads fast as there isn't much to process. It's easy to visit, as I'm restricted to browsing on a PSP. Please don't bloat the board ever! :)

Posted by: TechAdmin1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 07:55AM

strykary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree. The board loads fast as there isn't much
> to process. It's easy to visit, as I'm restricted
> to browsing on a PSP. Please don't bloat the board
> ever! :)

thank you, thank you, thank you =) i've tried to cut out everything that is not needed.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 10:30PM

I use an old program for Macs called Appleworks at my job. I love Appleworks. It runs a flat database that I use daily for a thousand things. I'll use it until Steve Jobs says I can't.

But life is about change, and eventually I'm sure I'll get used to this. Heck, I still remember lamenting the loss of the original board, so I must really be an old-timer!

Welcome back everyone!

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:18AM

A dumb question.

How do I open all replies to a thread?

I must be missing something.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:41AM

Click on Control Center, go to options/forum settings, then go to messagereading display options, and select multiple messages per page threaded.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:46AM

What D.P.Gumby said, but like me, you may have to experiment with combinations of the different options until you find a way that feels comfortable to you.

Posted by: stormy ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:38AM

Old is comfortable...not intimidating...

Posted by: miss anon ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:59AM

Thanks for all the hard work. it is much appreciated.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 01:05AM

I missed everyone while the board was being shifted.

Thanks Admin-type people for all the hard work.

Posted by: satya ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 01:16AM

Well, I for one am THRILLED that I can see all replies without clicking on each individual reply.

Posted by: Dahli Mama ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 01:21AM

I had no idea that Yetti's wore clothing. Is there a Big and Tall and Hairy in Nebraska?

Date: September 17, 2010 01:22AM

Why are you up so late?

Posted by: Dahli Mama ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:23PM

Dear dear Flat, I was up late trying to find something on tv to watch to numb my brain enough to go to sleep. I couldn't find anything innane enough so I checked your post here and it did the trick.

Now it's morning and I fear that if I keep reading in this font that I'll go blind and comatose. It feels like DOS and I have developed a horrific allergic reaction to DOS based text. It's been years since I had exposure to it so now it's sort of bringing back discomforting memories to type this in this font. I am sorry, but you'll have to find me on Postmo or Exmo if you want to tease me or let me assault you with expletives and personal comments on your body hair and odors. It's for my health. I hope you understand. I feel itchy.

Posted by: Truth Without Fear ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 11:01AM

I miss WordPerfect. You could choose to display all the control characters on screen and you knew EXACTLY why your document was formatted the way it was on the page. You could do almost everything with simple keyboard commands - no need to stop and play with the mouse.

MS Word - blechh.

Date: September 17, 2010 12:12PM

. . . and I have a typing service. As a professional typist I could never justify switching to MS Word (which in my opinion is overall inferior although there are a few nice things that WP doesn't do as well).

Nowadays I do more than 90 percent of my word processing in WordPerfect, then convert it to Word for the client. I am reasonably proficient with Word, but WordPerfect is so much easier for me. I still three old DOS versions of WordPerfect that I have to use from time to time. WP 5.1 (with the old blue screen) still has a few features that just don't exist in any other word processor. I only need them now once a year or so, but they are nice to have.

Although I am up to using WP12 now, there are things about WP8 that were discontinued that I really like better, and therefore I keep WP8 on one of my other computers for use occasionally.

Thanks for the WordPerfect memories . . .

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 02:19PM

I'm a MS Word / Excel veteran of nearly 20 years--to the point where my brain thinks that way when I'm working on projects.

I'm currently battling the 2007 versions forced on me by upgrades at work, in which the command functions were completely replaced by the task oriented "ribbon." There are no more optional toolbars, and you can't even see some commands until you create the path (e.g., to see what table commands are available you have to be clicked into a table).

This all makes me want to drive to Redmond WA and sit down with the folks that dumbed-down a perfectly good software program.

Yes, old software is like comfortable old clothing.

Date: September 17, 2010 02:47PM

I actually liked Microsoft Word better than WordPerfect for a short time, but that was when both were DOS-based programs, back before Windows 95 and the creation of the "requirement" for running Windows to run the word processing software. I don't still have any of the old DOS-based MS Word programs, but I still have the old DOS-based WordPerfect programs, and I think I even have DisplayWrite 3.0 and maybe DisplayWrite 4.0 (these were IBM word processing programs that were major players in the industry at one time).

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.