Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:30PM

Arkansas Woman Killed in Mistaken Rapture

----------------------------------------------------------------

ARKANSAS -- A Little Rock woman was killed yesterday after leaping through her moving car's sunroof during an incident best described as a "mistaken rapture" by dozens of eye-witnesses. Thirteen other people were injured after a twenty-car pile-up resulted from people trying to avoid hitting the woman, who was apparently convinced that the rapture was occurring when she saw twelve people floating up into the air, and then passed a man on the side of the road who she believed was Jesus. "She started screaming `He's back! He's back!' and climbed out through the sunroof and jumped off the roof of the car," said Everet Williams, husband of 28-year-old Georgann Williams who was pronounced dead at the scene. "I was slowing down but she wouldn't wait till I stopped," Williams said. "She thought the rapture was happening and was convinced that Jesus was gonna lift her up into the sky," he went on to say. "This is the strangest thing I've seen since I've been on the force," said Paul Madison, first officer on the scene. Madison questioned the man who looked like Jesus and discovered that he was on his way to a toga costume party, when the tarp covering the bed of his pickup truck came loose and released twelve blow-up sex dolls filled with helium, which then floated up into the sky. Ernie Jenkins, 32, of Fort Smith, who's been told by several of his friends that he looks like Jesus, pulled over and lifted his arms into the air in frustration and said "Come back," just as the Williams' car passed him, and Mrs. Williams was sure that it was Jesus lifting people up into heaven as they drove by him. "I think my wife loved Jesus more than she loved me," the widower said when asked why his wife would do such a thing.
When asked for comments about the twelve sex dolls, Jenkins replied "This is all just too weird for me. I never expected anything like this to happen."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:39PM

This is a work of fiction, created by humorist Elroy Willis. On his site, Religion in the News (a site apparently designed around satirizing all things Christian), Mr. Willis explains that the story was "intended to make a mockery of the ridiculous idea of some rapture where people will supposedly float up into the sky to meet Jesus.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 07:52PM

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 08:15PM

It was also an opening death scene in an episode of Six Feet Under.

pretty much exactly.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 08:17PM

Scooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was also an opening death scene in an episode
> of Six Feet Under.
>
> pretty much exactly.

Scooter, your post beat me by one minute. Great minds think alike! ;)

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:15PM

I have always loved your posts!

Date: September 19, 2010 09:51PM

Date: September 19, 2010 08:16PM

Posted by: fancypants ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 10:19PM

ok... i should read all the posts before I go sharing crazy stories with my husband...
now I don't feel so bad about laughing...

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 12:23PM

GAWD I am SO gullible!! :}..thanks WCG for that one!! i just sent that story(without reading ALL of it)...to a fundie!! :) i cant wait to see what he says!! this will be fun!! :)

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 12:08PM

But it's such a funny story and you know what the politicians say: Never let a good story get in the way of the truth."

Ok...I, wcg, do henceforth and forever, promise to not post any more made-up stories, no matter how funny or un.

Posted by: YankeePedlar ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 02:30PM

You remember those old bumper stickers, "In Case of Rapture, This Car Will Be Empty!"?

I always thought, "I sure hope they're parked, when it happens!"

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 05:57PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 06:02PM

Guy I knew had gone to a fundy Christian college.

Thus I have been told:

One of the students was going on so much about the rapture that he even annoyed his fellow fundy students. One night the other students in the dorm left little piles of clothes laying around, pajamas in beds, all that, then hid. When the Chosen One woke up he thought everybody in the dorm had been raptured except for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2010 06:02PM by Bob T.

Posted by: eloher ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 08:24PM

I personally love the business idea of pre-arranging to take care of fundy Xtian's pets after they've been raptured. An atheist actually started this business.

Imagine you're a holy fundy, knowing some day you'll be raptured to be in Jesus' presence again. But what happens to your beloved pets that you left behind. For a reasonable fee, you can arrange for a local, dependable and animal-loving atheist to make sure your pet is cared for after the Rapture.

I think it's brilliant!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 12:21AM

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 12:22AM

Call or email. Need to talk.

Posted by: Did I Really Believe That ! ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:15PM

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: September 24, 2010 09:58AM

So let me get this right. When Jesus (Voldermort) presses the mark on his forearm, then all of his followers (death eaters) feel the burning and fly to his presence?

It sounds like a good children's story to me.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 09:59AM

What lds ward did this happen in?

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 26, 2010 11:34AM

I forgot to ask if any of the blowup dolls are available.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.