Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 12:06AM

...and visited a Recovery from Jehovah's Witnesses forum. Substitute a few synonyms and you get Recovery from Mormonism! Shunning, homophobia, destruction of families, authoritarian leaders, etc. Im glad the JWs don't have a homeland like Mormons have Utah, ugh! The Boner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 12:19AM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 12:20AM

The days of conservative religions are numbered.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 07:13PM

They are not conservative!

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 07:39PM

Jehovah’s Witnesses are morally conservative and politically non-aligned. They stay clear of politics, forbid sexual relations outside of marriage, consider homosexuality a grave sin, and equate abortion with murder. They eschew gambling, drunkenness, illegal drugs, and tobacco. They teach that the Bible requires true Christians to be kind, good, mild, humble, subservient, and reasonable. They refer to their body of beliefs as “the truth” and see themselves to be “in the truth.”

Their families are patriarchal and their denomination is autocratically led by an all-male religious leadership that maintains discipline, demands obedience, compels commitment, forbids independent thinking, and insists on conformity. Those who violate communal belief and behavioral norms risk “disfellowship” and “shunning.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2016 07:59PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 07:44PM

From the JW recovery boards, it's apparent that the JW leadership is hypocritical in its involvement with governments (if it's in that cult's best interest). Apparently, in order to get recognized religious status in a European country, the JW leadership allowed blood transfusions for their members there.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 12:50AM

You do raise an interesting question. Is there somewhere where there are enough JW's to make non-members uncomfortable? I am not aware of any particular enclaves that would meet this.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 10:38AM

I had a young ex-JW co-worker who shared his experience of telling his father he no longer believed and was in fact atheist. His story was traumatic and would fit on this board easily. We swapped a lot of stories after that. I felt like I was talking to another exmo.

There is another couple here at work that are devout JW. Interestingly, they never ever bring it up at all and you would barely know. They leave religion completely out of work. TBM lurkers please take note.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 08:04PM

blueorchid Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------->
> There is another couple here at work that are
> devout JW. Interestingly, they never ever bring
> it up at all and you would barely know. They
> leave religion completely out of work. TBM lurkers
> please take note.

At a small company, I worked with a lovely young Jamaican woman who was a JW. I only knew her religion because I noticed she was the sole employee who never attended the office birthday parties. I asked one day if she was a JW, and she said yes, and we had an interesting, brief discussion about her faith. However, as far as I know she never brought the subject up at work, and I doubt whether any other colleagues even knew she was a Witness. Even though it's a very extreme faith and they have to proselytize, they do seem quieter about it than many Mormons, for whatever reason. (Maybe because they are forced to give up part of their weekends to go door-to-door?)

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 07:30PM

Scientology is the same if not worse. I have conversed with a couple who left Scientology and read some of the Ex-Scientology boards.

Actually it is policy to destroy you and your reputation and to deliberately put a wall between you and family with threats if you leave. They physically track your activities afterword’s. Scary stuff.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: April 15, 2016 08:43PM

Is anyone else curious about the fact that five or so cults founded in the 19th cent were set up by Freemasons? Is that why they've so much in common today?

After Masons set Mormonism on its feet, C.T. Russell manufactured the Jaydubs.

"I am very glad to have this particular opportunity of saying a word about some of the things in which we agree with our Masonic friends, because we are speaking in a building dedicated to Masonry, and we also are Masons. I am a Freemason." Charles Taze Russell. (The Temple of God-Pastor Russell page 120)

Then came Mary Baker Eddy and handlers on the Secret Square.

Heydays for the noble and puissant tenebrous turds.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.