Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:05AM

I've read a good deal about Mormon history over the past 60+ years and consider myself quite knowledgeable. However, I have never found any explanation for the four year "wait" imposed on Joseph Smith after the so-called Nephi/Moroni visit. The church version was that he was just "not yet pure enough", but that doesn't make sense after having received a claimed personal visit from God and Jesus.

What I am wondering is that he may have been "stalling for time" since once he had possession of the golden plates, his family and friends would be expecting at least a partial translation soon afterward. Or perhaps Rigdon (or other ghost writers) needed more time to complete their portions of the book.

Of course, there may never have been a four-year wait after all since the whole Nephi/Moroni visit was never described until many years after it supposedly happened.

Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 10:08AM by Templar.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 10:28AM

I think it's the last of your thoughts, personally.
There wasn't any "four year wait." That was put in the story post-hoc. I think it helped, in the minds of early mormon fabricators of history, to explain some of JS's behavior during that period (like trying to join the Methodist church, getting busted for fraud, etc.).

Date: May 16, 2016 11:06AM

You may have a point. As I recall, Brodie says that this period of Josephs life which we know the least about was when he was most into "treasure hunting". Perhaps, the whole idea was to establish that he was spending the four years "getting closer to the Lord" rather than hiring out doing his "rock in the hat trick".

BTW The primary reason others were trying to get their hands on the golden plates had nothing to do with the opposition of the devil as the church claims. The truth is that Joseph had much earlier signed a mutual sharing agreement with his fellow treasure hunters and they rightfully felt they were owed their share of his find (golden plates). The actual facts always seem to be much different than the mythical history proclaimed by the Mormons.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 11:42AM

It's worse than that. Look at the timeline.

22 Sept 1827 – claims to get the plates
Feb 1828 – Martin Harris takes "caractors" to Charles Anthon
12 April to 14 June 1828 – writes Book of Lehi
June 1828 – Harris loses 116 pages
June 1828 – JS applies to join Methodists but is rejected

Smith tried to hook up with the Methodist Church nine months AFTER he supposedly received the plates, and in the same month that Harris lost all their work to date. I don't think that's coincidence.

Date: May 16, 2016 11:59AM

Good call. And of course nothing much happened after June, 1828 until Oliver Cowdery arrived on the scene. Perhaps that's when Rigdon and his worked-over Spaulding "Manuscript Found" came to the rescue. Joseph had pretty well determined that "all was lost" until then.

We now know that the so-called dictated "Original Manuscript" of the BoM was copied from something else since the recording mistakes were clearly copying errors and did not result from mishearing which often occurs in dictation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2016 12:01PM by Templar.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 11:47AM

The First Vision never happened. It was fabricated post hoc, too, So we're talking about a four year gap between something that never happened and something else that never happened.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 09:41PM

+1

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 12:13PM

Moroni: He jerks off, he's not pure enough to be a prophet.

God: Give him a year.

(A year later)

Moroni: The kid's still jerking off, he's not pure!

God: Give him another year.

(A year later)

Moroni: He's STILL jerking off, and now he's doing this scrying stuff like his dad, promising people he can find treasure if they pay him.

God: Uhhh...all right, *one* more year to get it together.

(Another year later)

Moroni: Still strokin' it and treasure hunting, God, but he's acting all pious and stuff while being a jerk. He's a loser.

God: Really, I know. He's acting like a frikkin' *mormon*. Well, what the hell, just let him do his thing. No one will believe him anyway.

Posted by: Cheezus nli ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 06:18PM

Because he was spanking it was my initial thought. But how would that explain his worthiness to see Moroni, Nephi or who ever the hell it was? He had a wicked head rush after he retired to his bed early and ..... (A cool September breeze blows into the darkened room of a young Joseph all alone and in need of stress relief....)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 02:43PM

It actually allows enough time for him and his cohorts to conjur up a workable religious history.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 06:01PM

Very funny.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 06:29PM

Part of a made up story.
or It took 4 years to body build so that he can carry the plates.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 06:35PM

The Virgin Mary, or Lupe, as we call her in Mexico, doesn't mind it when you immediately, and loudly, tell people that she just visited you.

Imagine Juan Diego waiting a bunch of years to tell people La Virgen had visited him...

Posted by: Forgetting Abigail ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 07:06PM

I know I wouldn't hold back if I saw her on a grilled cheese sandwich! Cha-ching!

Posted by: Sarony ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 08:18PM

Joseph's story was the angel told him to bring back his brother, Alvin.
Alvin died and it took four years (and an affidavit from Father Smith that Alvins's body had not been dug up, although he exhumed Alvin's body to show it was not dug up), to work out a new story.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 09:12PM

there is Very Little evidence that JS wanted or tried to join the Methodist or any other church after his claimed vision.

Posted by: Minister ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 09:21PM

I think Joseph's name, and that of several of his siblings, was identified on the local Methodist church rolls as having joined. Is that incorrect info?

Date: May 16, 2016 09:23PM

Very Little Evidence that he tried to join the Methodists is a tiny bit better than the No Evidence that the father and son visited him in a grove of trees.

Posted by: Book of Mordor ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 09:33PM

Both Richard Packham and I responded to you about this issue on the other thread. Please refer back to that or read

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1657891,1657898#msg-1657898

If that's not good enough for you, then fine, but I'll bet you're in the minority here on that opinion.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: May 16, 2016 09:52PM

there's a simple explanation that Sarony mentioned and it's the fact that the old spirit wanted Alvin to have the plates. Alvin had good character, was guileless, and was the one the salamander trusted. When Joe came he wanted the plates for money and so he was struck by the creature and fell backwards. The plates disappeared and he was told he had to wait.

See Mormonism Unveiled. (by Howe 1834)
See Mormon Murders 1989

Date: May 17, 2016 03:15AM

I am still suspicious of the whole thing.

I think having both Elohim and Jehovah showing up to serenade JS was gilding the lily. I say he made made it up...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2016 03:16AM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 07:08PM

OK, but when did the white salamander visit him ?

Posted by: METoo ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 07:17PM

You will have to ask Hoffman, he has the document...lol

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 07:26PM

O/T at first I thought elderolddog was back until I looked at the date.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 21, 2017 07:26PM

It took him that long to get with his buddies and concoct the story

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 09:59PM

desertman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It took him that long to get with his buddies and
> concoct the story.

Forty eight long months for Joe's buddies and handlers to cobble together that ludicrous "history" of mythical peoples.

Plagiarism can be found on almost every page of the BoM.

It took four years. Maybe Joe's pals were as lazy as their sock-puppet.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 04:00PM

So he'd have enough time to figure out his con!???

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 04:13PM

I think he stalled for time because he didn't have any plates.
He told the story without realizing that he'd have to follow up
on it. So each year he came back with another excuse why he
couldn't get the plates this time, etc.

Finally he made some fake plates. This explains all the
descriptions of the plates by his family members but always
covered by a cloth so they couldn't be inspected. It also
explains all the voodoo about about looking at them will kill
you, etc. This also explains why the "witnesses" saw the
plates only under limited conditions imposed by Joseph (and
only witnesses hand-picked by Joseph).

This also explains why the plates were never there when Joseph
was "translating" them. The text had nothing to do with the
plates and he didn't want the plates being examined too closely.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 12:59PM

Love the four year timeline chicken...it might need further revelation...joe by year four had discovered fannys alger was way more fun than bacon grease or chickens...haha take that SWK...naw guess im wrong...that wouldnt be for a couple more years till celestial cuvkolding was revealed...your right..he was yanking his doodle...but the greatmantle did finally fall...as did every foster daughters knickers he could flutter...see how i easy that is to admit your wrong...yet Hoax just cant bring himself to do it...but i agree...it takes four years to work the wrinkles out of the long con...or a few wannabe GAS amending the story to fit the narrative when the details dont quite correlate

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 01:28PM

Ole conniving Joey didn't "wait around" much at all for anything which helps add credence to the ad hoc theory of the vision and plates in my thinking. I believe that during these years he was making bucks fooling the gullible with his magic tricks, which did make him a nice sum opposed to what some say. I believe Sidney Rigdon approached him with the idea for the two of them to join forces, and in this way Rigdon could get the kind of church he wanted and Joey could help ring people into the plan. Rigdon soon found Joey to be more conniving and forceful than he ever planned on as Joey pushed his way to the forefront as the prophet of the day.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: December 15, 2018 04:33PM

What? Do you think that he could conjure that whole book up overnight. Novels take time to write

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2018 04:33PM by thedesertrat1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.