Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hahahaha ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 06:48PM

well, I can understand people have good feeling towards themselves, it is not a bad thing. But Mormons give me a feeling that they want to be complimented in every conversation, every minute, and every sentence. otherwise, they think you are rude.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 29, 2016 07:08PM

Can't say I have noticed that with all Mormons.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 01:59AM

Not with all Mormons, though my husband's TBM ex and ex kids are pretty narcissistic.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 04:16PM

I've known or know probably a couple thousand Mormons. Some were friends while a member, some are relatives. Personally, with the degree that I've know them, only a very few could be diagnosed with a narcissistic personality disorder. (See this for clarification: http://behavenet.com/node/21653

Some may display some of the list of diagnosis, or tendencies, but not enough to be properly diagnosed.
The term is batted around a lot.
We see one in the public arena at present that does qualify.

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 05:06PM

It depends. Some Mormons are super into being Bishop or RS president. They need the validation as a leader and to feel important. It's really important that their kids are mini extensions of themselves. They need to go by the book 100% no room for errors.

When that doesn't happen tantrums ensue. Their four year old selves come out and they become these crazy people.

My parents disowned my brother when he left the church and his wife. He'd done everything for them until he nearly had a breakdown. The day after he told them they visited their lawyer and changed their will.

They were horrible to him, oh and he was in his forties, we're not talking about teenagers or even twenty somethings.

It wasn't that long ago that I was talking to my mom about missing my kids when they left home.

Her response was classic NPD, "Well I missed you when you left home too. It was awful, I ended up having to hire a maid or I'd never have been able to get everything done."

It's all about them, you're just another jewel on their crown and god forbid you should ever become tarnished in their eyes

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:30PM

a narcissist is;a person who is overly self-involved, and often vain and selfish.
At least mormons go to church and try to serve, what we do?
Self satisfaction, self gratification most of the time?

I'm not saying they are smarter than us.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 10:23PM

In fact it is 95% narcissist on top I'd say...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 30, 2016 09:37PM

No, not all. Probably not even most. I think the percentage is higher, though, the farther up the organization chart one goes.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 12:00AM

Self righteous and smug, yes. Narcissists, no. I work with a narcissists. He is one mentally ill cat. He happens to be LDS. However, I have not met any LDS personally, who are as nutty as this guy is.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:44AM

Speaking from personal experience, about half of the Mormons I knew all my life, since birth as a BIC, were Narcissistic. These are people I have known well enough to make that determination.

My mother and half her sisters
Half my uncles
Over half of my cousins--the men as well as the women.
My mother-in-law

All of my brothers
Two out of three sisters-in-law
Both of my Mormon husbands

I would like to think that Mormon Narcissism is on the decline, as the cult loses its popularity, and as more lies come out into the open. My older relatives were very arrogant about being descended from The Smith Family and their close neighbors and those first few who founded the church. Most were polygamists. These days, polygamy isn't anything to be proud of.

In the younger generations of Mormons, racism seems to have lost its popularity. I hear racist jokes, from older Mormons, but never from the younger ones.

Elitism is still alive and well, as evidenced in the snotty behavior of children even as young as elementary school age. I believe that Narcissism, and the Cluster B disorders such as sociopaths and psychopaths develop genetically. Perhaps less intermarriage among Mormons has thinned out these character defects.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 04:01AM

Of my birth family of nine, I would say that three are narcissists, and the remaining six are hapless relatives of narcissists. I'm in the majority, oddly enough.

Posted by: TDM ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 07:08AM

I don't think so. Just maybe some of the mormon "elites".

When I was a TBM I had a very, very low self-esteem, and I think many others did too.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 09:38AM

TDM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was a TBM I had a very, very low
> self-esteem, and I think many others did too.

Narcissism is a way to overcompensate for low self-esteem. As Merrill Markoe wrote, it was if her narcissistic mother thought, "I am the piece of sh!t the world revolves around."

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:04AM

You get some of that among the ranks, but the church leadership is extremely narcissistic. Believing every word that comes out of your mouth is divinely inspired will do that.

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:31AM

The religion itself is narcissistic, and rewards narcissism. Any potentially narcissistic men (and women, I suppose) are helped along by that.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 03:36PM

That's a good explanation. My father and his brother were raised as jack mormons (for lack of a better term). After high school my father became Nazi mormon and his brother married a Catholic girl and that was the end of his mormon days.

The two of them are different as night and day, my father being extremely narcissistic and his brother being as altruistic as can be. So it's kind of a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" situation. Does mormonism create narcissists or are narcissists attracted to mormonism?

Posted by: Fromontario ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 09:12AM

It seems like it depends where you area. From an Eastern Canadian perspective it felt like western or Utah/Alberta Mormons were more narcissists. Generations of being the chosen ones. Not all but more common than out east. But what others are saying is it seems more common in leadership roles. Because they believe god selected them for that very important position lol.

I think it emboldens narcissists. Feeds the narcissism. narcissists have the potential to “feed” off empath a. Not sure that’s the best term. But also emboldens them. I think the religion creates so much self doubt and low self esteem which is what helps create narcissism.it typical is developed from childhood and parenting. It’s easy to see that this religion can contribute to that, which is sad.

And maybe it invites Narcicists.

I think inreligion, when your religious community is a big part of your social life or community than you are opening yourself to be more vulnerable to narcicistic abuse or being around that type.

From my experience it’s too common but there’s many good humble people in it. Too bad those people got suckered too.

Posted by: From east ( )
Date: October 05, 2020 09:14AM

Sorry. Typing from phone.

I believe there’s many empathy in the church and narcicists can feed off that.

Posted by: Larkin ( )
Date: May 31, 2016 08:35AM

No. Just intellectually inferior.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.