Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:01PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 10:56AM

Just like the ones in the States or anywhere else in the world.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:02AM

same as anywhere..... modern 'Blockhouse' architecture, with a spire.

I think the styling is pretty much universal.... {politely asks} what were you expecting?

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:40AM

The temple is Preston is a good indication, I suppose. It looks just like any other McTemple. One would think they would have tried to something different and worthwhile, given the deep ties Mormonism has to Preston. But this is the Morg we're talking about, so no such luck.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:44AM

Our local meeting house is the smallest type. The stake centre is the size of a meeting house in the US, at least in my area it is.

The morg built us a chapel after we'd been using rented accommodation and we got the smallest type. Foyer, one chapel/meeting room, tiny RS room, primary room, bishop's office with sec's office adjoining.

The next chapel along (8 miles away or so) had an extension added. Initially it had no baptismal pool.

Briggy

Posted by: Nona ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:39PM

They're exactly the same. Well, all the ones built in the 90s look the same as all the ones in the US. Some of the really old chapels are very different though. My Stake centre and my old Stake centre were just large buildings that the church bought. My current Stake centre is HUGE!

A few of the chapels in the UK are ones that the church bought, rather than built, but all the new ones are built.

Interesting fact, my chapel didn't have a spire until about 5 years ago! They didn't get permission to have a spire originally.

Another interesting fact is that one of the temples in the UK didn't have a Moroni on it, again, I think the church didn't get permission to put one on, originally, because it's near an airport. It got a Moroni a couple of years ago though.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 11:54PM

Nona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...
>
> Another interesting fact is that one of the
> temples in the UK didn't have a Moroni on it,
> again, I think the church didn't get permission to
> put one on, originally, because it's near an
> airport. It got a Moroni a couple of years ago
> though.

OH PLEASE PLEASE may I specify the location of the flashing red aircraft warning light?

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 02:09PM

that matched the local architecture.

I should have recalled that Mormonism has no architectural ascetic beauty of its own. My bad!

I had been surfing the web for photos of English cottages that I could paint and was just wondering what the Morg constructed in the way of chapels.

Sorry you got ugly buildings, also.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.