Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: never again ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 02:35PM

really...you say you saw God and Jesus..
The most important event in modern history to usher in the restored gospel but cant remember when or where and change your story multiple times?

fraud

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 03:06PM

Hey, cut him a break. He remembered 18 years later.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 10:51PM

I think I saw God and Jesus, but now I can't recall if it was just God, just Jesus, God and Jesus or an angel and Jesus. Just trust me - I definately saw something -

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 03:49PM

and I've only lately caught the tidbit that Satan knew JS would be seeing F&S, and instead of popping up in the form of a shy, but lusty looking 14 year old girl, he tried to foil the plot by overpowering JS with darkness.

How stupid is Satan, if the religionists are to be believed?

And don't give me that horrible, 'no man can be tempted beyond his capacity to resist, else there would be no free agency' bull crap! It is so funny to hear that from a bishop or SP who the following week runs off with his secretary.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 11:33PM

Make shit up..

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 11:39PM

I was 14,same age as JS, when JFK died.I remember all sorts of little details such as what I had for lunch and what I was wearing. Over 50 years have passed,much longer than the time passed for JS and I remember tiny details. Sure, that was an important event but not as big as a personal visit by the Father and Son. That would be something to remember.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 11:53PM

And the details we recall from that JFK assassination day have not resulted in amazingly different retellings.

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 12:00AM

Exactly. For starters we are clear on who was assassinated. JS couldnt even remember whether if was God, Jesus, both of them or an angel whose name he couldnt keep straight.Pretty hard stuff to forget.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: June 22, 2016 11:46PM

>>really...you say you saw God and Jesus..<<

And then you found gold plates that talk about the trinity...

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 12:31AM

Posted by: azcrazy ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 12:32AM

People generally remember dramatic encounters. Have you at any time in your life saw someone in person you admired or were a fan of? A sports figure or celebrity? Think about it for minute.

I can distinctly remember every time through out my life I had a celebrity sighting. None of these were a-listers but I will always members them. I stood next to Barry Williams (Greg Brady) in Las Vegas watching the pirate ship show at Treasure Island when I was teenager. I looked over and there he was with his wife. Also as a teen, I ran into Hal Smith (Otis Campbell on the Andy Griffith Show) at a horse track in Prescott Arizona in the late 1980's (My friend's dad bred horses)

The point is I never have forgotten those encounters. If you asked me what day of the week it was or what year they occurred or what I was even I wearing I simply don't remember. However, I will never forget running into them. I cannot ever see confusing Greg Brady with Peter or Marsha.

You can be certain if it were God or Jesus you'd remember that detail without question.

Posted by: Jan Brady ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 10:15PM

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 02:34AM

Joseph's pitch is that he was out in the woods praying to know which church he should join. God and religion was central in his family background, so when he prayed as a 14 year old as he said he did, I believe it would have been with earnest.

Then he has heavenly messengers appear. This would have to have been an event of HUGE magnitude to him. God appeared! Wow! or maybe it was God and Jesus Christ who appeared! Wow! or perhaps it was the angel Nephi who appeared! Wow!

Come on....Someone is pulling the chain of needy, gullible people. Someone with a gigantic imagination who rather enjoys being the center of attention as he spins his yarns which might just yield a yet another sucker joining his fan club.

Posted by: Tahoe Sweets ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 03:18AM

I was 13 when 9/11 happened. I was wearing a burnt orange roxy t-shirt with aqua lettering. I had on my blue jeans from abercrombie that my grandmother bought me. I had on black flip flops. When I saw the news, I was in an art class, and my professor was wearing a fake ponytail.

I remember everything from that day.

Seeing God and/or Jesus/an angel?

You'd better believe I've remember every detail.

As a convert at 18, I had only heard 1 version from the missionaries. I was floored when I heard there were several versions. When I found out, I remember thinking...WTF!!?

Too late...I was already at BYU. Tough year.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 09:20AM

My sis became an Atheist in her 1st yr at YBU, after taking a church history class and finding out Joseph's Myth was convicted for fraud before he came up with the whole Mormonism thing.
She verified it and said, fuck this.
Then spent the next 3 years pretending, until she graduated.
Now shes full blown atheist ExMo, with a chilled wine room.

Posted by: maizyday2 ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 09:15PM

As any detective could tell, the more the story changes, the more likely it is that the story isn't true.

People who are telling the truth are very repetitive...the tell the SAME thing no matter how many times they are questioned. I there are any variations, they are minor.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 09:28PM

I remember the day that the girl I should have married basically said "Let's go for it" and I was in a depressed funk and walked away.

Stuff so incredibly life-changing like that--you go over and over and over and over in your mind, replaying and replaying.

Seeing GOD AND JESUS CHRIST?? That would be burned into my mind in detail like having Sandra Bullock show up at my door wearing nothing but an old dress shirt and asking if she could stay the night.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 10:10PM

I remember a close friend of mine once sharing an experience from her childhood. Her father was in the army, and deployed to Vietnam. At the time, her family was renting a room to a woman whose husband was also serving in Vietnam. One day, the family was driving home, and as they rounded the corner, they saw two people in army dress uniforms waiting at the door. They were there to inform the woman who was living with them that her husband had been killed.

My friend recalled that day in such amazing detail—down to trivial things like what she was wearing (down to the color of her sneakers and the exact location of a small hole in one of the sneakers). She recalled all the details despite the fact that 1) it wasn’t her father who had died, 2) it happened nearly a half century ago, and 3) she was a very young girl at the time. She was much younger then than JS was when he had his “vision,” and she’s now much older than Joe ever got to be.

And yet, we’re supposed to believe that Joe, after having witnessed the greatest manifestation of deity since the fall of Adam, can’t keep straight such important facts as: 1) why he went into the grove to pray, 2) who visited him, and 3) the gist of the message that was delivered to him.

Posted by: tj phil ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 10:15PM

I remember the exact on-ramp of the interstate I was on when news came that the Challenger had exploded. It was a beautiful sunny day, and all I knew about the Challenger was that it was THE space vehicle. Flares visible from the solid fuel rocket booster, throttle up. All crew lost. A parachute of non-hope hope. Navy watercraft. Christa McCauliff (sp?). I can remember specific conversations about it.

I think I would be able to describe Jesus' freckles.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 10:48PM

I recall the day JFK was shot.

I was in 5th grade. My teacher was Mrs. Heuser. Her son Wally had dropped by to see her while she was doing her ironing and her students were exercising to Jack LaLane at their desks. Yes you read that right. She was wacko.

Anyway, while Wally and his mama were doing the ironing, there was a station break to tell us all that the President had been shot. Mrs.H went into full meltdown while Wally hollered at someone to get her some water. The phone (connected to the office) was ringing off the wall. Finally one of the students answered it just as Mrs. H was coming around. She grabbed the phone and apparently they told her the news and she went into melt down all over again.

In the meantime, Jack had magically popped back onto the tv. We all ignored him, because we thought he was as crazy as Mrs. H. She started yelling at us to exercise while Wally put away the ironing before the Principal showed up to see what the hell was going on in that room.

I was just happy to go home early that day. When I got home, my mother didn't know why I was there. We didn't own a TV and she hadn't been listening to the radio. She didn't bat an eyelash when I told her what had happened. My parents hated JFK because they were good mormons.

I can't tell you anything about seeing God or Jesus. They've been to busy to show up for any of my parties the last 63 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2016 10:49PM by madalice.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.