Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 12:43AM

Thanks! I enjoyed that.

What a crap shoot the mission experience is. I rolled nothing by 7s. Thank you, Jasper McClellan!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nitrameequc ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 01:29AM

I went on my mission from 76 to 78 & my mission Prez was awesome. Pres. Cusick sounds like a true prick. No. Let me take that back. He doesn't sound like a prick. He IS a prick. From A to Z. Hell...........I would have gone home in a hurry !

Posted by: maizyday ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 01:36AM

Holy Cow... Pres. Cusick is a jerk! His behavior could cause real damage to young and impressionable missionaries.

It's nice he's getting the publicity he deserves.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 09:01AM

Cusick (what a name) should become a general authority. Just think how many people he could help leave the cult of the one true living God of LDS InC.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 09:18AM

behold the true LDS Church as personified by this Christ like servant Mark D Cusick.

Posted by: mormon mom ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 10:21AM

I'm a active mormon mom with a son on that mission and happy to report that the new MP is a kind man dedicated to helping his missionaries succeed. I would have gone public if MP Cusick was over my son. I am saddened and horrified that he was allowed to terrorize all those dedicated young missionaries for so long. Church authorities should have been contacted to have him removed. I am praying for all those that suffered at his hand.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 12:05PM

I wish I could say that these sorts of stories are unusual. They are not. We've had stories shared over the years from RMs, and parents of RMs, about mission presidents who denied their missionaries medical care or meals, or who severely berated or humiliated their missionaries. In many cases the missionaries were instructed to send home only "good news" to their parents.

All I can say is that you should tell your missionary children that they deserve to have regular meals, medical treatment, and to be treated in a dignified, respectful manner. If the kid is treated otherwise, they are to contact their parents at once. The missionaries are *volunteers,* but some mission presidents treat them like conscripts, or worse, prisoners. Yes, there are good, kind, decent mission presidents out there, but there are also terrible, abusive ones.

It is for this reason that all missionaries should maintain an online, non-church email account, so that they have a secure way to contact parents in case of neglect or abuse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 12:07PM by summer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 09:56AM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish I could say that these sorts of stories are
> unusual. They are not.

My MP ('79-'80) wasn't bad overall.

But I heard him twice, in my presence, make similar comments. Which makes me wonder what he said when I wasn't around...

One time he told a "sister missionary" that she was too pretty to be on a mission, she should be back home starting a temple-marriage family, because she'd have no trouble finding an RM to marry.

Another time he told a "sister missionary" that she should make the most of her mission, since she wasn't attractive and wasn't likely to find an "eternal companion," so this was the best way she could serve the Lard.

He generally left the boys alone. But it was clear that he only tolerated having women in HIS mission because the church uppers forced him to. He didn't think they really had any place there.

Posted by: ..... ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 08:03PM

hope that you are good enough to attend your son's wedding in the temple..... my parent's were deemed unworthy and were not allowed to attend their's dauthers wedding....

lds is a bunch of crap....

Posted by: leftfield ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 10:01AM

Not including the MTC, I had 4 different mission presidents and quickly learned there were 4 different "right ways" to do things.

This unusual circumstance occurred because the original Central American mission I got sent to had all the gringo missionaries pulled from it when civil war broke out after I had been down there about 12 months. About six months into that mission, my first mission president finished his term and was replaced.

The second mission that I was reassigned to (neighboring country) also switched out mission presidents at the 6-month mark.

None of them were jerks, but they were all very different. The one gringo mission president that came from church royalty was the least competent. He had lost total control of the mission. His apes ran the mission ... into the ground. That president was more suited to be a department store Santa Claus than a mission president.

The three mission presidents that were from Central American were all better than the gringo.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 07:21PM

Same here. My first mission president was the president from hell. The other two were nice guys and the fourth was coming in when I was going out but seemed nice.

Posted by: xxMo0 ( )
Date: August 11, 2019 11:02PM

The g-word is considered derogatory in some places.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 23, 2016 08:38PM

This guy Cusick is at least one brick short of a load. Too pretty???? Being pretty should be a positive for a sales force!

I know lots of Mormon women who did advanced education and were shamed for being too educated to attract a husband to take them to the temple. How do these deranged, crawling scum rise to the top in Mormonism ?

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 04:19PM

I think you missed the point a little. This Whacko is punishing her because she is giving him Evil Thoughts - this guy is a real piece of work.

Reading down through the blog posts this guy is even worse than my first mission president .... something I have not seen before. I posted it on FB for my TBM friends with kids on missions so they can get at feel for mission life. I have several FB friends from highschool that did not serve missions but now are devout TBMs and have sent their kids off to serve the Cusicks of the world.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 05:19PM

No, I got it. It has always made me mad that women have been blamed for "causing" men to think evil thoughts simply because they were pretty, or had large breasts, etc. Why aren't the men taught that it is their responsibility to curb their hormones and look the other way if they have absolutely no ability to control their thoughts and actions. I think this is why rape has not been dealt with appropriately down through the ages. Blame the victim because "boys will be boys". Boys can think whatever evil thoughts they will but acting on them is the crime.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 01:54AM

Because there was a demented screwball working the Youth Conference circuit teaching that men were to be the sexual aggressors and women were to push back. That was news to me. But it set up an entire victim blaming culture. Eve tempts Adam, Fanny tempts Joseph, you get the picture.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 10:08AM

Well, maybe not screwball. Just a sales job. TSCC invents whatever doctrine it wants, to justify its behavior.

Posted by: does not matter ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 06:05AM

Mark Cusick has a profile at www.mormon.org .He says he could not imagine life without the gospel and like BMW motorbikes.

Posted by: does not matter ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 06:16AM

There is a series of youtube videos of a former missionares testimonial of how great the mission was.His name is Spencer.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 02:29PM

My nephew must have served under the last Tampa, Florida MP. He was supposedly some golf pro. Summerhays maybe? Something like that. But anyway, I believe he was a really good MP. He would call and talk to the parents of mishies who were having depression or emotional problems to try to figure out how he could best help them because the parents would know their child better than he did. And apparently he often took their advice.

Gotta feel bad for the guys who served under that guy half their mission and then had to switch to this a-hole.

Posted by: JenMiekll ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 03:40PM

This is absolutely disgusting.

So, would he then tell her to just pray away any eating disorder or depression that he helped to cause!?!?

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 06:23PM

God. What an ass.

Posted by: not-a-Smith fan ( )
Date: June 24, 2016 08:22PM

Can someone send this to the Religion Editor of the Huff Post or the like ?
It is hard to believe such evil does exist in the ranks of leadership...words can wound nearly as thoroughly as bullets.
My heart bleeds for many of these young people.
Shame, shame on men like President Cusick !

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 10:19PM

Cusick is one mighty asshat. He reminds me so much of Holland. I really hope those bbloggers find their way out. I just can't imagine trying to serve in this day and age of Google.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 25, 2016 10:45PM

Here's a re-posting of an old postmormon(dot)org thread on MPs from hell.

http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/26983/P40/

There are some doozies...

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 10, 2017 12:30AM

Posted by: lurker with a relevant comment ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 11:35AM

Front page of the site says it is temporarily down due to hacking, and to perform upgrades. It says all threads will be restored, so the link might work later. Currently, You can read an archived version of part of the thread here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20160630234737/http://www.postmormon.org/exp_e/index.php/discussions/viewthread/26983/P40/

I could not find an archive of the first page, but it might be out there somewhere.

Posted by: ..... ( )
Date: July 16, 2017 08:05PM

definition of temporary has now been many months.....

the site is gone.....

Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: June 26, 2016 08:01AM

This sounds like a really great story waiting to happen.

I can't believe a news source hasn't picked up on the possibility.

Missionaries don't sign a non-disclosure agreement right?
So what's keeping them from following up on these?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 08, 2017 11:44AM

Mormonism is based around male authoritarian personalities.

Some were humble & compassionate, like Marv Ashton, but in the corporate world of LDS investments, etc, those types are fleeting;
I can't name a single one now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.