Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 01:11AM

So I'm at my Bible study class tonight and talking to a woman I recently met there and we are becoming friends. She knows I left the mormon church and a few wacky things about it. I told her the reason I was at Bible study was because the mormons don't take it real serious. Anyway,she asks me if I ever lived in Utah. I told her yes,and was very familiar with St. George,Provo,and S.L. She said her son was interested in going to Westminster college (I think thats the name) and what did I think about that? She said she knew the college was 40% mormon and was having reservations. Her son has been very sheltered (11:00 curfew all through high school etc.)and is shy. I told her what I thought-hell no! Of course I didn't say it quite that way-but she knew what I meant. They are going to drive out there to check it out. What do you think? Did I over react and it's perfectly okay to go to college there? I know nothing about the school except it has a beautiful campus and used to be owned by presbyterians or some other church. They tried to convert mormons-I don't know how sucessful they were or how many students they lost to the morg. Let me know what you think so I can share ideas with her next week. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 01:31AM

I've known three people who went to Westminster. One was a Mormon (although she just got married outside the temple, so I've got my fingers crossed) and the other two were not. They all received very good educations and were well prepared for their career fields. It's a very small campus with quite a small student population, not much bigger than a largish high school. I've been told freshmen are required to live on campus, unless they live with immediate family members. This means it's not a commuter campus with students just coming to campus for class and leaving. So the school has an active social life. Unlike the U's dry campus, students who are of age are allowed to drink on Westminster's campus. I went to a poetry reading there once that included wine at the refreshment table. I know a lot of people are against anyone non-Mormon moving to Salt Lake, but I've really enjoyed living here for the most part. Most of the people I work with and the people I knew in school at the U weren't LDS, so I've rarely felt pressure from TSCC. Plus it's a beautiful place. If he wants to go to Westminster, I really don't think Mormonism should have anything to do with the decision.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 01:45AM

I went to Westminster in my 40's after the divorce and after leaving the church. It was the best! It was liberal, inclusive, and a very well-balanced environment. One of my classes was a Philosophy of Religion class which was taught by an atheist who taught critical thinking via the Five Proofs of the Existence of God. Think of it! Learning to think by respecting the Great Thinkers down through history. I never felt they had a "seige mentality" or were overtly religious as far as Presbyterianism goes. I did get "called into the principal's office" once for writing some columns on feminist theology (witchcraft), but they respected the freedom of the press even though I was a lowly freshman. I lived across the street from Westminster for a few years and thought it was tame compared to living close to the U.

Your friend should not be concerned about the LDS component. It does not negatively influence the quality of the education there AT ALL. And it's truly free. After grilling me about the column on witchcraft, I wrote about a gay Mormon bishop and nobody said a word.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 08:36AM

My daughter is a senior at Westminster. Perfect fit for her. Small campus (17 acres), very engaged profs. No weak thinking allowed (in other words, "my seminary teacher told me.....". Critical thinking is taught and required.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 09:17AM

They like it because they believe it is a sane, clean, and diverse environment.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 10:00AM

My daughter graduated from Westminster. She says that the Mormons (at least the TBM type) are in the minority.
The classes are small so there is a lot of individual attention from the professors--they limit it to 25 students max.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:06AM

A cousin of mine went there. He found it a great place to study. While there are great teachers at the U of U, it can be awfully intimidating for someone from a small town or sheltered environment.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:24AM

I think the Mormons who go there are probably of the less TBM variety. Otherwise they'd be at a church school.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 12:40PM

I went to big universities and had my fill of 1000 plus seat classes and walking for miles with a heavy bag of books on my back. Not to mention the endless parking problems. It's only gotten worse with more people going to school. I'm glad that part of my life was in the 1980's. I look at tuition costs and the rat race college has become and thank God I'm done with it.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 01:54PM

Further to class size: I went to YBU and was in classes with over 600 kids. Freshman classes, I know, but still huge. Lots of Grad Assts. for teachers. What the hell was I paying for?

Westminster caps classes at 25, except for Honors classes are capped at about 12-15, and they each have two teachers. No hiding at Westminster!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 22, 2010 11:56PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I will tell my friend what all of you said. Sounds like a great college and not to be feared her son will turn mormon. They are very Christian and know enough about the mormons to keep their distance. I was just worried about a shy,over-protected kid,but I Don't think I need to worry at all. Thanks!

Posted by: NeverAMo ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:40PM

I'm a Westminster grad (1970). At the time, the College was owned and operated as a partnership of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and United Church of Christ. It was founded in the basement of the Presbyterian Church on South Temple and C (I think) Street.

While a lot bigger now than it was then (700 total students, 112 in my graduating class), it is the only place in Utah to get a true liberal arts education. There were no graduate degrees then as there are now.

Though the student body at the time was pretty much protestant with a few others thrown in, one thing I'll always remember is that we elected a student body president who was not only Mormon, but over 40 and married with kids, garments, and a calling. And he was the nicest, most genuine Mo I've ever met.

Now operated by a community board of trustees, WC still is a wonderful school and deserves consideration by anyone that wants a great education.

Posted by: ex Catholic lass ( )
Date: October 24, 2010 10:48PM

I'm a grad student at Westminster currently. It is just wonderful. So friendly. So much more enjoyable than my ivory tower undergrad experience. Challenging but reasonable in its expectations of students.

I room with a U grad student who gets frustrated by the Mormons in her program and comes home with hilarious nutter stories daily. My classmates and teachers age mostly non LDS, and those who are, are liberal LDS.

I wish I had done my undergrad at Westminster! It's very teaching focused and a great place to be a student.

Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 01:37AM

If someone you know has a chance to go to Westminster - tell them to take it! It is a VERY good school, and anyone who attends will get out of it what they put in to it. Many of the professors will challenge any student's belief, Mormon or not. My wife is a graduate, as are many of our friends. We happen to think Westminster is one of the best schools in the state.

I hope I can afford to send my kids there. 'Nuff said.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 25, 2010 01:49AM

I took one of Carl Sagen's classes at Cornell and the whole semester was taught by a grad student. Dr. Sagen never came in for one lecture but he was listed as the instructor in the class Schedule. I found the so-called ivy league universities to be hit and miss as far as undergraduate classes go. They are mostly taught by grad students and the whole focus of the university is research. I actually think you can get a better education at a well ran small college or university. You don't get the impressive brand name on your diploma but in many ways you will probably get a better education.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.