Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perky ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 03:20PM

Recently my cousin and his wife went on mission. My cousin's wife is super TBM and had a revelation they needed to go on a mission they could not afford. To make the mission happen they asked for donations, sold her tupperware collection (no joke) and what really annoys me is they called my mother who is almost 90, has dementia and very high living costs for full time care AND ASKED FOR MONEY for the mission.

My mom is so out of it she probably does not even remember they called and my sister told them not only no, but hell no!

Their mission is way more important than my mothers need for full time care! Good God.

I could also rant about my brother paying tithing out of my mothers money when she has high full time care costs, but that is another self-righteous Mormon story!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2016 03:23PM by perky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 04:01PM

Yes, when you're Mormon no sacrifice is too great.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 06:22PM

Babyloncansuckit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, when you're Mormon no sacrifice is too great.

"Yes, when you're mormon no sacrifice BY OTHERS is too great."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 06:24PM

One nice thing about being an only child is that only I could abuse my parents! Try not to be jealous.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 10:55PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 04:23PM

Is your brother the executor, making sure that her care is "taken care of"? If he's drawing from her specialized care money to pay tithing without her previous consent I'm pretty sure he's in legal trouble.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 04:59PM

I can relate to the tithing extortion from someone elderly with dementia. My dear mother was in this situation, living in assisted living and soon needing full time skilled nursing care. I had to put my foot down with family members who were so "worried" she wouldn't get a temple recommend if she wasn't paying tithing. I pointed out that she would not know where she was or what was going on if someone took her to the temple. They tried a few times to get her to pay but I was the POA over her bank account and I never paid one.red.cent of her money on tithing.

This is elder abuse in its most blatent form!

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 06:03PM

I totally agree. It is elder abuse. Should call the bishop?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 03, 2016 07:37PM

I also consider this to be elder abuse, especially when the elderly are extorted into paying tithing on their Social Security or retirement income. It's especially sad when the person has dementia or other condition where they need a caregiver.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.