Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: M0rtes ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 11:57AM

Odd question:
What happens to the names that you baptized (the dead and live ones) once you leave the church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 12:29PM

Mordor is still destroyed, no matter who tosses the One Ring into the fires of Mt. Doom.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 12:35PM

Okay, it sounded nice, but in churchco regulations, I am wrong.

Imagine two identical male twins, one who becomes a mormon elder and one who does not even join the church.

The elder goes rogue, drinks, smokes, screws and denies ghawd. Any ordinances he participates in are valid, like baptizing kids at the temple for the dead.

But no matter how righteous the other twin is, using the mormon twins ID, any baptisms he performs have to be done over.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 12:36PM

It sounds like you're wondering if maybe once someone leaves the church, any ordinances they performed are null and void. I have never heard that to be the case.

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 01:27PM

This is an issue as old as Christianity. Nothing unique to TSCC, except the "for the dead" part.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob-nl ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 01:35PM

The same thing that happens to them if you *don't* leave the church...nothing.
They do their pretend baptisms for dead people. It means nothing. It means nothing if you stay, it means nothing if you leave.
All it does is keep people coming to the glorious temples...giving them something to do there, and keeping them paying tithing.

Posted by: Icanbemeanony ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 01:46PM

Baptisms for the dead never really made sense to me. What happens when the priesthood guyou mispronounced the name, which happens all the time? Or a name that two people have? Does God just automatically know who it's intended for? That must get confusing really fast. What happens when the same person gets baptised twice? Does it cancel out the other?

What a stupid waste of time.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 05, 2016 02:11PM

As long as you can psych someone into believing you're "worthy" when you perform the ordinance, it stands.

My chidren's father baptized our oldest daughter. Then a few months later confessed to several affairs. He was put on probation so couldn't baptize our 2nd daughter the next year. I always thought it was funny that God will accept an ordinance that was performed by someone who had sinned, lied, not confessed. But an ordinance performed by someone who had confessed and repented would not be acceptable because he hadn't done enough groveling time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.