Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:49AM

Yes, folks. The Mormons really think that their temple construction in Europe kicked off the fall of communism. The depth of Mormon fantasy never fails to amaze me. The comments are equally bizarre.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700063701/LDS-official-calls-German-temple-catalyst-for-cataclysmic-change-in-Europe.html?pg=2

NOTE: I had been holding this article since the board crashed. If someone else already posted it, forgive me. :D

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 12:57AM

For example, I was taught in the Mormon church that radio, television and even satellites were created so that the Mormon church could broadcast General Conference. I was also taught that modern technology came about because of the birth of Joseph Smith, because the coming of the Mormon Church caused inspiration to be poured out upon all the inventors of the world. That's why so many of the brilliant people in the world are Mormons, like Lionel Richie.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 01:02AM

The theory was that since the East opened it's heart to the Lord's anointed and the one true gospel, the Lord blessed them with their freedom by softening the hearts of their leaders. I was certain this was true. It just goes to show you that you can find all sorts of random world events to support your thesis in life. Rather than the way it's supposed to be...collect the info FIRST then make a thesis. I see this in journalism all the time. Reporters decide what is the point they want to make and then find "evidence" to support it, rather than investigating to find out the truth.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 01:16AM

Actually, it looks like there was a rash of plane crashes starting in August of 1985, not even two months after the German temple was dedicated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 05:00AM

Everybody seems to think their own achievements to be the greatest, you know. The way mormons think is the way every group thinks. The British and even the French think the liberation of Europe after both world wars was mostly their work, while the Americans were second only to the UK and Russia at the end of World War I, and second only to the USSR at the end of World War II.

Relative to population, the greatest liberators of WWI were Australia and New Zealand, and Canada in WWII.

By the same token, the Americans often seem to think they did everything, while it was really the USSR that brought down Germany and Italy. I can grant Japan to the Americans, but American movies about WWII often show the yankees liberating places where they didn't set foot until years later. There is a history professor from Brazil who even made a list of movies set in places liberated by the Americans in those movies but not in reality. It was usually the USSR, UK and Canada.

And this kind of fraud continues: remember the American scientist who had to treat her own cancer on Antartica during a long winter? In the made-for-tv movie, she is finally brought home by the American Army. In reality, it was a Canadian rescue team. I believe that that part of the south pole was controlled by Norway or some other country that cooperates with Canada for such things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 05:02AM by Zeno Lorea.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 07:02AM

Using the logic of the MBAs running TSCC here are some other possible "causes" of the fall of the Berlin Wall:

1. The release of New Coke (1985)

2. The 25th Anniversary Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue (1989)

3. The release of Michael Jackson's autobiography, "Moonwalk" (1988)

4. Boy George's release of "Boyfriend" (1989)

5. Subway adopting the slogan "Subway, My Way" (1985–1990)

6. Almond-centered M&M's in limited release (1988)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 07:39AM

Hong Kong went back to communist ruled China. Win one, lose one.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 08:20AM

Zeno Lorea
Could not agree with you more about WW II misrepresentation. My father went to Europe D-day plus 33 and did liberate a French town but US involvement has been rewritten. Most Americans think that the US declared war on Germany but it was the other way around and is considered one of hitler's biggest mistakes. It would have taken months maybe over a year for the US to get involved with the European front. The US practiced isolationist policy and they were concerned with vengeance on Japan for pearl harbor and were not concerned with Europe, they already did their part for Europe in WWI.

In college I was studding in London for a semester in 1982 and I was darlting a guy who knew a man who hated Americans because his wife left him for an American while he was fighting. The saying about American GIs was that they are over paid, over sexed, and over here.

I hate rewriting history to fit the current politics.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 09:27AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 09:48AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 09:49AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: iamwhoiam ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 09:54AM

You, I´ve heard that. I love it when the connect the restoration with the advancement of technology in general. Wow, it´s like, a church of 14 mill people really had that much of an affect, cmon, most people don´t even know a thing about mormons or care what they do. I had a proffesor at byu that said he had letters from the church saying they would never use the internet, haha, so much for revelation. Perhaps god´s email got lost somewhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2010 09:55AM by iamwhoiam.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: September 20, 2010 03:07PM

Speaking of Mormonism and the fall of communism. I bet when restrictions are lifted in China, The First Mormon missionary to set foot in China, would have an orgasm right there! Never in his wildest dreams did he believe that he was so gallant and honored in the pre-existence for this privileged.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.