Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 12:47AM

The Republic covers much material and many allegories, such as the Allegory of the Sun and the Allegory of the divided line. But for me, the Allegory of the Cave is the one that stands out in profundity.

Plato has Socrates describe a group of people who have lived chained to a cave wall their entire lives. All they know is what is projected by the shadows on the wall. These shadows are the only representation of reality.

Socrates goes on to explain that the philosopher is like a prisoner who escapes the wall and comes to understand that the shadows are not all that there is.

The meaning of the Allegory of the Cave is open to many interpretations. First, what is reality and how is it explicated and understood. David Hume has some interesting thoughts on this subject.

In the Indian Systems, the shadows could represent maya, the veil over our eyes that prevent us from seeing our inner nature.
Maya, illusion, is a core belief in Hinduism, from the Upanishadic works to later Bhakti movements.

What is maya? What is reality? Does this allegory adequately explain?

The Allegory of the Cave is rich in interpretations, and an enduring literary concept throughout the centuries.

What is your take?

Comments

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 01:11AM

The allegory of the cave must be universal, because it seems to describe Mormonism. People are kept in the dark and shown a faint version of the real world. When one ventures out of the group paradigm and returns to report on it, that person is doubted and disparaged.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 05:42AM

Or the limited nature of human understanding.

What is to say that the philosopher hasn't just left a shadowy cave for another chamber that is somewhat brighter, and which he now perceives as reality, but is in fact only a slight improvement on the perceptions of the benighted people he left?

This could be a metaphor for scientific progress--the dark cave is pre-Newtonian physics, the philosopher's brighter world Newton's theories, and yet another level of enlightenment awaits in 1905 and 1915. People gradually get closer to ultimate "truth." Or it could be the Indian idea of progress, with the purpose of life being to pull away more and more illusions as we progress towards enlightenment.

Conversely, Nietzsche would ask why we assume that brightness is the measure of truth in the first place. As he did in fact write, it takes a leap of faith to go from the feeling in one's heart or mind that something is true to the conclusion that it actually is.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 10:02AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is to say that the philosopher hasn't just
> left a shadowy cave for another chamber that is
> somewhat brighter, and which he now perceives as
> reality, but is in fact only a slight improvement
> on the perceptions of the benighted people he
> left?

Indeed, the philosopher (Socrates in this case) seems awfully full of himself, being the "enlightened" one who escaped from the cave and now knows so much more than anyone else.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 01:13PM

And he was an authentic historical figure who willingly died for his ideals--unlike a possibly mythical Jesus--I'd say his "memory" is entitled to be a bit "full of himself."

Of course there are always those who feel compelled to put out another's light because their own is so dim.

Perhaps you might speak to the subject (his thesis was after "exiting the cave" one could only "act in terms of the Good") rather than toss adolescent brickbats.

To borrow from the Christians: "By their fruits Ye shall know them."

I recall another saying, "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

You get to choose whether I'm yours... Personally, my view is you're projecting one of your own "demons" in this case.

/zen voice off

Date: December 08, 2016 01:29PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
> And he was an authentic historical figure who
> willingly died for his ideals--unlike a possibly
> mythical Jesus--I'd say his "memory" is entitled
> to be a bit "full of himself."

Well, probably authentic :)

It wasn't his "memory" speaking, though, it was his then-self. And though perhaps (but not necessarily) a bit more "enlightened" than many of his own generation, in the hindsight of history he gleaned a few nuggets of wisdom while remaining vastly ignorant of most of the world around him, let alone the universe.

> Of course there are always those who feel
> compelled to put out another's light because their
> own is so dim.

Not so subtle, cabbie. And below you.

> Perhaps you might speak to the subject (his thesis
> was after "exiting the cave" one could only "act
> in terms of the Good") rather than toss adolescent
> brickbats.

I did speak to the subject, and what it meant to me.
To me it's a lesson in arrogance and humility, one that the "philosopher" didn't learn very well. That he thinks himself so much more "enlightened" than those around him, while he remains gloriously ignorant. And that so many humans (perhaps myself included) throughout history manage to get the tiniest bit more knowledge than their fellows, and consider themselves to be oh-so-enlightened and so much better than their fellows, and ignore the vastness of their ignorance, and never learn any humility in the face of it.

Where's the "adolescent brickbat" in that? Please do point it out.

> I recall another saying, "When the student is
> ready, the teacher will appear."
>
> You get to choose whether I'm yours... Personally,
> my view is you're projecting one of your own
> "demons" in this case.

I disagree with your view. Perhaps I should have written that very long paragraph above initially -- if so, lesson learned. In the future I won't assume readers will get my meaning...but then, of course, I'll be accused of being a long-winded blowhard. Oh, well.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 03:19PM

The idea is sound it just isn't all that useful.

It is sort of like saying that black coffee doesn't taste great cold so you should keep it hot.

Great, thanks, got any ideas on how to make that happen? No ideas? Well thanks.

You ever heard that knowing is half the battle? Well winning only half the battle is a fairly mediocre result.

Just so you know.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 08:46AM

Plato--and Socrates--anticipated the perceptual issues that cognitive psychology is attempting to address today.

As a metaphor, it has its limits, but my cabdriver philosopher caveat is "beware of those who've claimed to have left the cave who haven't."

Some have climbed high into the darkness to no avail, but their echoes only create confusion.

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 02:12PM

Platos cave is one attempt to understand the human condition. The human condition means we as humans can be both good and loving and incredibly hateful etc.. Why do we have good and bad "voices" in our head?

Here is a science explanation of the human condition. Humans evolved instincts to be good and help one another. After we evolved instincts to be good we developed a conscious mind that remembers.

Once the conscious mind evolved it wanted to know why and this sometimes put the mind in conflict with the genetic instinsct to be good/selfless etc. This causes people to be frustrated, egocentric, look at nature like an enemy and caused men to want to dominate women (especcailly sexually) etc..

Just look around, people are always out to prove how they great they are due to the internal conflict between the genetic predisposition to be good and the concsious minds desire to understand things and go off the genetic course.

The metaphor of Adam and E follows this pattern - they lived in the Garden of genetic predisposition to be good until they developed a conscious mind which pulled them away from the "good" to find understanding.
In this context Adam and Eve are hero's not vilans because they were just fighting the battle between the genetic predisposition to be good and the conscious minds need to find understanding and prove it was good.

To better understand consider a migrating bird that annually follows its genetic programming to migrate. The bird does not know why it migrates or care why it migrates. It just does it.

Now consider if we put a human brain in the bird. The bird still has the genetic programming to migrate, but now it wants to know why, may leave the flock, and go off the genetically programmed course. When it goes off course it feels "criticized" by the genetic side and other birds and this causes extreme frustration etc... All the bird is doing is looking for understanding but comes under condemnation by the genetic instinct.

In essence, we are all nuts out proving we are good and doing whatever it takes to do it. However, once you have this understanding you can manage the 2 "voices" in your head that continually rage. Having this understanding has changed my life.

Humans are the only animals with this condition. All the other follow instinct.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 02:21PM by perky.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 11:36AM

Hi perky...whew!! That was quite the explaination. I'm happy you've come to grips with the " voices in your head that continuously rage" , although I somewhat question how scientific it is.

"Human instinct" is very complex indeed, however, its primary function is generally accepted to be survival thru Natural selection. It's good to see you've developed a personal theory that is helping you work toward that end.

Best of luck in your quest for answers, it makes things fun.

Date: December 09, 2016 05:04PM

Thanks for reading. Voices in the head was just my way to say we all have a good and evil side.

For the science: https://www.humancondition.com/

"I have no doubt FREEDOM provides the holy grail of insight we have sought for the psychological rehabilitation of the human race. This is the book we have been waiting for, it is the book that saves the world.”

Professor Harry Prosen,
Former President of the Canadian Psychiatric Association

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 05:10PM by perky.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 05:52PM

Thanks for the link perky. After browsing thru the website of the World Transformation Movement...an organization that I admittedly know little about...just what I read on the website..may I give you a little unsolicited advice? If so, it would be: to enjoy the book you have purchased, and to keep reading...many other things along your quest for scientific insight...and keep an eye on your wallet if you are offered additional opportunities to " change the human condition" thru the World Transformation Movement.

Books that " change people's lives" can sometimes be dangerous.. Remember, we are on a Recovery from Mormonism site. Some of us have been down this road before,

Perky, please take my comments in the positive way I've tried to present them. As regular readers/writers on this website we should watch each other's backs when we deem it necessary. That's what I think I'm doing...no disrespect intended.

Date: December 10, 2016 02:37PM

Thanks for the advice. I did not take it personally. I don't want to be an another cult! :)

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 05:57PM

Thanks for the book recommendation Perky. I read the "short" 68 page book, and plan on reading the whole book. He does a fantastic job explaining the human condition. It puts so much of the bullshit in the world in logical and scientific context.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 02:36PM

Is an excellent way to describe the human condition and a not so excellent way to help overcome it.

How am I, a perception deficient human, supposed to know who doesn't carry this malady? Perhaps I should just pray to the distorted shadow? Perhaps the shadow will tell me who will know that it is just a shadow.

It could be that Sargent Schultz was the smart one when he said "I know nothing"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 02:36PM by jacob.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 05:34PM

There should be an Allegory of the Russian Nesting Dolls.

We're inside the inner-most doll thinking we understand reality, until somebody breaks through into the next-biggest doll. Then we understand the greater reality.

Until, that is, somebody breaks through into the next-biggest doll...

Date: December 08, 2016 06:42PM

getbusylivin Wrote:
> There should be an Allegory of the Russian Nesting
> Dolls.

That's a much-better expressed picture of what I was getting at.
In the original, the "philosopher" makes a tiny hole in the next level up, and think's he's all the way out...

Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 11:09PM

Hi kolob,

Good to talk to you!

In the Apology, Socrates defines a wise man as one who is aware of what he doesn't know.

Is Socrates full of himself? Absolutely. In the Apology he was executed for annoying people and insulting the rich and famous. This is dangerous in all human societies.

Date: December 09, 2016 09:30AM

brianberkeley Wrote:
> Hi kolob,
>
> Good to talk to you!

You too!

> In the Apology, Socrates defines a wise man as one
> who is aware of what he doesn't know.
>
> Is Socrates full of himself? Absolutely. In the
> Apology he was executed for annoying people and
> insulting the rich and famous. This is dangerous
> in all human societies.

Perhaps between the cave and the apology he learned some humility? ;-) Or was it his pending execution -- for being an atheist, for "offending" the rich and ignorant -- that taught him that lesson?

Or did Plato make it all up as an object lesson... ;-)

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 01:24PM

ifi-, would you help me understand these comments and the comments above that Cabbie called "adolescent"?

Can you quote some Plato demonstrating Socrates as an arrogant person needing a lesson on humility?

I've read all the Dialogue's at least once each and somehow didn't notice this character trait, a trait you seem to portray as the most obvious thing about him.

My sense of Socrates, and of course I could be very wrong, is as a guy who helped the know-it-alls in town, those who thought they had a few "nuggets" knockin' around their noggin', understand that, really, they don't know what they think they know.

Thank you in advance,

Human

Date: December 09, 2016 03:19PM

Human Wrote:
> ifi-, would you help me understand these comments
> and the comments above that Cabbie called
> "adolescent"?
>
> Can you quote some Plato demonstrating Socrates as
> an arrogant person needing a lesson on humility?

In the allegory of the Cave, both Plato and Socrates take turns discussing the situation of the cave dwellers and one who escaped.

Before discussing the escape, Socrates feels pity for the prisoners, saying they don't know reality or truth, and essentially wallow in their ignorance in the cave thinking the shadows they barely perceive are reality. He (and Plato) contrasts that to the one who escapes, who experiences truth and reality (even though at first he's blinded by it), and then feels pity for the people in the cave -- motivated by his greatly expanded knowledge of true reality.

That's where I see the first bit of arrogance. Both Socrates and Plato compare the cave escapee to "philosophers" (themselves), indicating they feel pity for the poor ignorant non-philosopher souls who haven't glimpsed true reality like they have. While the intent of the allegory may have been something else, I see in the escapee/philosopher arrogance and no humility -- instead of rejoicing in the tiny glimpse of a bigger world than the cave, using that as motivation to go explore and learn more (because of how much he doesn't know about 'true reality'), he decides to go enlighten the cave dwellers with his superior newfound knowledge.

The philosopher/escapee, being oh-so-superior to the un-enlightened ignorant cave-dwellers, decides to return to the cave. Seeing him return, and because of being used to light not being able to see anymore in the cave, the cave dwellers decide that the journey out must have harmed him, and so pay no more attention to him. Both Plato and Socrates seem to be implying there that the ignorant masses don't appreciate their superior knowledge, and spurn them for having it rather than accept and listen. Socrates concludes that the prisoners, if they were able, would therefore reach out and kill anyone who attempted to drag them out of the cave...which reinforces the idea that they're implying that the unenlightened will go so far as to kill anyone who tries to enlighten them.

I see no humility in the escapee/philosopher coming from a tiny glimpse of a bigger world and the realization that while he may have seen a bit more than the cave dwellers, he hasn't seen very much at all. I see only contempt for the ignorant, brutish cave dwellers who don't accept the philosopher/escapee as the enlightened source of light and knowledge he considers himself to be. That "interpretation" is reinforced in many of the other dialogues, including the story of the execution of Socrates, who is condemned by the rich yet ignorant because he tried to share his greater knowledge with them.

> I've read all the Dialogue's at least once each
> and somehow didn't notice this character trait, a
> trait you seem to portray as the most obvious
> thing about him.

I didn't say or imply it was the "most obvious thing about him." I gave my opinion of part of the story that I don't find inspirational or enlightening.

> My sense of Socrates, and of course I could be
> very wrong, is as a guy who helped the
> know-it-alls in town, those who thought they had a
> few "nuggets" knockin' around their noggin',
> understand that, really, they don't know what they
> think they know.

I see that in the stories. In hindsight, though, we humans around in the 21st century understand that Socrates (and Plato) really weren't that knowledgeable or enlightened. They were for their time, and they had some enduring ideas, but put them down in our time and they far more resemble the cave dwellers than the enlightened. From that I take a lesson on humility and the lack thereof: Plato and Socrates considered themselves the smart and knowledgeable and enlightened ones, who should go around telling everyone else about their "truth." They had, however, only glimpsed a tiny fragment of clear window on reality, and the ensuing centuries continued to clean off more and more of it. Just as our current knowledge, while vastly greater than theirs, will certainly be superseded in the future -- so we probably shouldn't be as full of ourselves as I see Plato and Socrates being.

There are, of course, different things that different people take from these allegories. That's one reason they're so enduring. It's entirely possible that "the cave" was written with just the lesson I get from it in mind -- in which case the lesson is still valid, but Plato and Socrates more humble than I give them credit for.

I don't, however, see a reason to react to different interpretations from our own with name-calling and insults. That's rather silly.

> Thank you in advance,
>
> Human

My pleasure, I hope that helps you understand my point of view.

Posted by: Ikari ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 05:52PM

I appreciate your response, as I had the same concern as Human above and agree with them concerning the way that Socrates is portrayed in Plato’s dialogues.

Unfortunately with this response you have not answered the question that Human posed. They asked for quotations demonstrating and acting as evidence of your evaluation of Socrates’ character. This is precisely what you have avoided stating. This is important so as to avoid misunderstanding and misrepresenting another’s words.

First, Plato is the author of the Republic, and Socrates is one of the characters within the dialogue. Socrates himself wrote nothing; the accounts that we have of his life and words come through the intermediary of others, in this case through Plato. In this part of the Republic, Socrates’ interlocutor is Glaucon (Plato is not present as a character within the dialogue), and they are discussing the idea of justice and the organization of the state. The story of the cave comes about in response to a question concerning education (and thus fits within the context of the dialogue as a whole; “This whole image, Glaucon, must be fitted together with what we said before” (517b); and especially with the two images that brianberkeley mentions in the OP) that “Education isn’t what some people declare it to be, namely, putting knowledge into souls that lack it, like putting sight into blind eyes.” Rather, “education takes for granted that sight is there but that it isn’t turned the right way or looking where it ought to look, and it tries to redirect it appropriately.” Furthermore, this conversion is concerned with “turning the whole soul until it is able to study that which is and the brightest thing that is, namely, the one we call the good” (518c, d). I find this to be a powerful teaching, especially as an educator, which does not locate knowledge within myself as the instructor that can then be poured into and dispensed for students, but rather that the power and capacity for knowledge is within them and that my goal as an instructor is not to simply report accumulated facts or share pieces of information or knowledge, but to help develop the kind of critical thinking that will allow them to examine the world as well as their lives so as to live with dignity and responsibility. In this sense I see absolutely no “contempt for the ignorant, brutish cave dwellers who don’t accept the philosopher as the enlightened source of light and knowledge he considers himself to be.”

Furthermore, Socrates is distinguishing between two kinds of knowledge, between the sensible on one hand and the intelligible on the other, which indeed he considers the latter to be superior to the former. Your comments seem to reduce this difference to a “greatly expanded knowledge of true reality,” a formulation that is certainly not Plato’s and I must confess I don’t understand what that means. Plato shows the difficulty of what he is trying to convey by using this illustration of the cave and the comparison of two ostensibly sensible things (i.e. the difference between the shadows on the wall and the objects themselves, as well as the fire in the cave and the sun) to represent the difference between what we perceive and the world of the forms. This is the difference which he will leverage in many of different dialogues, for example in the Euthyphro wherein he asks Euthyphro to not only give him an example of piety, but rather to tell him what piety itself is (“Bear in mind then that I did not bid you tell me one or two of the many pious actions but that form itself that makes all pious actions pious… tell me then what this form itself is, so that I may look upon it, and using it as a model, say that any action of your or another’s that is of that kind is pious, and if it is not that it is not” (6d, e)), a task to which Euthyphro, as well as pretty much all of Socrates’ interlocutors, find themselves unequal to following the questions that Socrates’ will pose to them after their attempts at a definition. This is Socrates’ genius, and the mistake that he will claim that others make is to impute to him possession of the knowledge that he demonstrates through his questioning that the other does not have. This is the assumption that he vehemently contests in the Apology, wherein he describes the kind of human wisdom that he might be said to possess. After questioning one of those in the city considered wise and finding they did not possess the knowledge they professed, he thinks “I am wiser than this man; it is likely that neither of us knows anything worthwhile, but he thinks he knows something when he does not, whereas when I do not know, neither do I think I know; so I am likely to be wiser than he to this small extent, that I do not think I know what I do not know” (21d). If this can be interpreted as arrogance then it certainly differs in character from the kind that boasts and claims to know something that another does not, and does not resemble one “who is condemned by the rich yet ignorant because he tried to share his greater knowledge with them.” Indeed, Socrates qualifies his speech when explaining the allegory of the cave by stating that “whether it’s true or not, only the god knows” (517b).

You state that “instead of rejoicing in the tiny glimpse of a bigger world than the cave, using that as a motivation to explore and learn more he decides to go enlighten the cave dwellers with his superior newfound knowledge.” This seems to ignore the process whereby one becomes adjusted to seeing things outside the cave, where “at first, he’d see shadows most easily, then images of men and other things in water, then the things themselves. Of these, he’d be able to study the things in the sky and the sky itself more easily at night, looking at the light of the stars and the moon, than during the day, looking at the sun and the light of the sun” (516a). Furthermore there is no point in which the one who has been outside (who in Socrates’ telling is as if “someone dragged him away from there by force” (515e)) decides to return and tell the others; Socrates indeed speculates concerning the situation of the one who has seen beyond the shadows, but nowhere does that person take it upon themselves to “enlighten” others.

To say that “we humans around in the 21st century understand that Socrates and Plato really weren’t that knowledgeable or enlightened” is in my opinion an incredible dismissal and repudiation of some of the greatest and most influential thinkers to have ever lived. The questions that they posed are ones that we still grapple with today when we ask such questions as “what is justice?” “what is truth?” or “what is the good life?” Any meditation on these issues or those surrounding them, even if it disagrees with what Plato lays out, still has to consider and respond to the way that he takes them up. And while certainly one may object to what Plato has to say, I think that such objections should be done in reference to what he actually has to say and not a caricature or misrepresentation of them; it is on that basis that I think fruitful discussions can be had.

Date: December 09, 2016 09:38PM

Ikari Wrote:
> I appreciate your response, as I had the same
> concern as Human above and agree with them
> concerning the way that Socrates is portrayed in
> Plato’s dialogues.

"Concern?"
That someone doesn't take from it the "standard" explanation or what you've taken from it?
Really? That surprises me.

> Unfortunately with this response you have not
> answered the question that Human posed. They asked
> for quotations demonstrating and acting as
> evidence of your evaluation of Socrates’
> character. This is precisely what you have avoided
> stating. This is important so as to avoid
> misunderstanding and misrepresenting another’s
> words.

I didn't "avoid" quotations. I simply explained my opinion of the piece. THAT is how we avoid misunderstanding MY words. The words in the various translations can be "interpreted" numerous ways -- and have been.

> First, Plato is the author of the Republic, and
> Socrates is one of the characters within the
> dialogue. Socrates himself wrote nothing;

Yes, I know.

> To say that “we humans around in the 21st
> century understand that Socrates and Plato really
> weren’t that knowledgeable or enlightened” is
> in my opinion an incredible dismissal and
> repudiation of some of the greatest and most
> influential thinkers to have ever lived.

I disagree. In fact, beyond a few nuggets of logic, I find them woefully ignorant for *our* time. For their time -- no. And that is the very point of my opinion.

Think about this for a moment, if you will...
(I'll just use "Plato" though you can include "Socrates" along with him; what we know of "Socrates" was either written by or invented by Plato, so that's simply a matter of convenience):

If you took algebra 1 in high school, you could do high-speed circles around Plato mathematically.

Plato didn't know the size of the earth (with any accuracy, at least); its place in the solar system, the solar system's place in the galaxy, the galaxy's place in the universe. He didn't even know there were solar systems or galaxies or universes.

He didn't have a clue how an internal combustion engine worked. Or that such a thing as electricity existed. Or that sickness is often caused by bacteria or viruses, and that washing your hands can help keep you well. They didn't know what brains or hearts or kidneys did, to mention a few body parts.

Literally millions of things you take for granted knowing were absolutely and completely outside of his knowledge and understanding. And in the place of what you know, he very often made up "interesting" things to attempt to "explain" some of what he observed -- and got nearly all of them wrong. Because they were made up simply by thinking, not by the now-known-reliable scientific method of observation, testing, and revision.

Their ignorance is staggering in light of 2,000+ years of the advance of knowledge. It's really kind of hard to argue against that, wouldn't you say?

> The
> questions that they posed are ones that we still
> grapple with today when we ask such questions as
> “what is justice?” “what is truth?” or
> “what is the good life?”

Agreed. And for some of those things they came up with some decent answers. For others, they came up with not so decent answers. And for others, no answers at all. Frankly, that's about the same as any human being who's ever pondered those things comes up with. Are they super-duper special and to be revered beyond reason because they're among the first to write this stuff down? I don't think so.

I find the value of their writings to be in seeing that they were among the first to write down their thoughts on these things because it gives us a glimpse into a long-ago age. I don't find their answers -- sometimes rational and logical, sometimes neither, and often flat-out wrong -- to be all that compelling. I do find learning about their thoughts interesting.

> Any meditation on
> these issues or those surrounding them, even if it
> disagrees with what Plato lays out, still has to
> consider and respond to the way that he takes them
> up.

And there you lost me.
I'm unaware of -- and would reject anyway -- any obligation to consider and respond to the thoughts of some guy who lived ages ago. One certainly *can* do so if one wishes. One is not under any obligation to do so. And in my opinion, anyone who either disregards or is ignorant of Plato's works can do much better in reasoning -- and light-years better in knowledge -- than he ever did. Without ever considering anything he said.

> And while certainly one may object to what
> Plato has to say...

I never objected to anything he had to say.
I simply explained what I got from it.
In fact, I found (and stated) what I consider a valuable lesson in what he had to say -- one made more poignant by the passage of time since he wrote.

As I've said, that may be different from what you get from it. It may be different from what some "authoritative" philosopher-types say we "should" get from it. I don't really care, they aren't in charge of my thoughts or conclusions. And frankly, if they insist I "should" get some particular thing out of it and not something else, they should probably go read more Hume. :)

I never cease to be amazed by the reaction to differences from orthodoxy -- be it in religion, philosophy, or any other area of belief/opinion. Why is it so threatening that I have a different opinion regarding the subjective opinion of someone's writing? Is "fruitful discussion" only possible if I toe the orthodox line on what Plato is "supposed" to have meant?

Posted by: Ikari ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 09:45AM

“I didn’t ‘avoid’ quotations. I simply explained my opinion of the piece… The words in the various translations can be ‘interpreted’ numerous ways…”

Yes, this was exactly my criticism. When asked for specific evidence (“Can you quote some Plato…”), instead of giving examples you gave your opinion, one which is not backed up when actually reading what Plato wrote. That a text can be interpreted different ways does not mean that all interpretations are equal; it can’t just say whatever you want it to say. You can certainly hold your own opinion as to what it means, but you weren’t asked merely for your opinion but for evidence to back it up (which is generally done exactly in the way that Human suggests by pointing to places in the text which support your assertions), which you failed to adequately provide.

“I disagree. In fact, beyond a few nuggets of logic, I find them woefully ignorant for ‘our’ time… Think about this for a moment if you will… Their ignorance is staggering in light of 2,000+ years of the advance of knowledge. It’s really kind of hard to argue against that, wouldn’t you say?”

No, in fact it is not difficult to argue against because your examples of their ‘ignorance’ comes from not understanding the exact allegory which is in question here. With the possible exception of algebra, every other example you have given is exactly the kind of knowledge that Plato is calling into question, which I tried to suggest in my original comment by the difference between perception/sensibility and the forms. To put it in the allegory’s terms, it is certainly the case that today we are able to observe, recognize, classify, etc. vastly more complex and intricate shadows on the wall than Plato could have ever imagined over 2,000 years ago. But that says nothing concerning his fundamental point about the difference between that kind of knowledge and the knowledge of the good or of the forms. Knowledge doesn’t merely consist in the accumulation of facts – this was precisely what I tried to suggest in my comments concerning education.

“Are they super-duper special and to be revered beyond reason because they’re among the first to write this stuff down?”

No, you have greatly exaggerated and then reduced what I said to the point of absurdity, a rather unfair rhetorical tactic in my opinion. While not the first to write (Plato of course draws from Homer and the Pre-Socratics for example), the discourse following Plato on these kinds of topics is engaged from being in conversation with his writings, whether directly or indirectly. His student Aristotle responds with his own arguments and positions in critique of his teacher, the Medieval writers which follow attempt to integrate these ancient writings with those of Paul and attempt to find the rational basis for Christianity in them, in response to which the modern thinkers form their own questions, and so on. Ideas do not spring out of nothing, even and especially science, but have a history and a genealogy that is shaped through conversation and events. It so happens that Plato represents a really important point in that conversation which would determine certain assumptions about truth and justice and so on that will be immensely influential in that development.

Your questions in conclusion are a reiteration of the first issue that I bring up in this comment. You have defended your opinion vehemently precisely as just your opinion. When presented with evidence calling that opinion into question, instead of justifying it you have more loudly asserted that it is just your opinion and you have the right to have it. You maintain that against supposed enemies such as “authority” or “orthodoxy” which were never invoked in the first place and which serve to obscure the lack of evidence backing up your reading of the text. What is perhaps ironic is that this is precisely what the allegory which is the subject of this conversation teaches about.

Date: December 12, 2016 10:45AM

Ikari Wrote:
> Yes, this was exactly my criticism. When asked for
> specific evidence (“Can you quote some
> Plato…”), instead of giving examples you gave
> your opinion, one which is not backed up when
> actually reading what Plato wrote.

I gave what I wanted to give. And since any opinion is subjective, as is the interpretation of what Plato wrote, no opinion about Plato is "backed up." Facts about what he wrote or not can be "backed up," interpretations can't. They're not facts -- they're opinions.

> That a text can
> be interpreted different ways does not mean that
> all interpretations are equal; it can’t just say
> whatever you want it to say.

I made no comment about what it says or didn't say -- I commented on what I took from it. Which IS as "equal" as what anyone else takes from it. And is the point you (and others) seem to be completely missing. I'm not arguing about what Plato did or didn't say, I never have been. I've been saying what I took from the story. I don't care if other people take away other things or interpret it in other ways. All such interpretations are subjective, and all "equal." There is no "correct" interpretation. In fact, those who insist there is would probably have Plato himself laughing at them, were he still around. The point of his writing was to get people to THINK and come to their own conclusions, not to create some orthodox doctrine that must be enforced.

> You can certainly
> hold your own opinion as to what it means, but you
> weren’t asked merely for your opinion but for
> evidence to back it up...

I don't always do what is asked, when I don't think it's reasonable. I'm sorry that seems to anger you so much, but that's your issue, not mine.

> No, in fact it is not difficult to argue against
> because your examples of their ‘ignorance’
> comes from not understanding the exact allegory
> which is in question here.

Ah, yes -- the age old cry of the orthodoxy enforcers: if only you understood, you'd agree with me!

Sorry, that doesn't fly. Especially with subjectively-interpreted allegories. I understand it very well. I understand why other people take from it what they do. I take from it other things as well. My difference from you does not indicate a lack of understanding on my part -- your reaction, though, does seem to indicate a lack of understanding of the subjective nature of interpretation on your part.

> But that says
> nothing concerning his fundamental point about the
> difference between that kind of knowledge and the
> knowledge of the good or of the forms. Knowledge
> doesn’t merely consist in the accumulation of
> facts – this was precisely what I tried to
> suggest in my comments concerning education.

I'll admit, that point wasn't clear in what you wrote before -- at least to me.
However, I don't see how it changes anything in MY opinion. Plato's "forms" haven't been very useful over the years, though a lot of people seem to still think they are (I don't share that opinion). And you seem to not taken from what I wrote that knowing facts enables us to do many more practical and useful things that were completely unreachable in Plato's time because of ignorance. While I agree that education doesn't "merely" consist of the accumulation of facts, the accumulation of facts is what allows humans to continue to innovate and progress. Without them, we can largely just sit around and speculate -- which is largely what Plato did.

> No, you have greatly exaggerated and then reduced
> what I said to the point of absurdity, a rather
> unfair rhetorical tactic in my opinion.

Perhaps, but actually I find the deference given Plato's writings and other "ancient philosophers" is already at the point of absurdity, so I consider it playing fair to point that out...

By your own statement, all humans (or most of us) ask ourselves these questions. Surely humans asked them before Plato, and humans asked them after Plato without ever hearing about Plato or reading anything he wrote. I think you give way, way too much to Plato to insist that any discussion of these questions that nearly all humans ask themselves must reference his work. I find that absurd.

And are Plato's answers to these questions actual solutions? Does he give us final answers to them?

No and no.

So while Plato's works give us a good picture of how Plato (and perhaps others of his time) dealt with trying to answer these questions, they don't give us answers to them. In fact, Plato's whole point seems to be to encourage further questioning and thinking on them, in which case we really don't need Plato much at all.

> Your questions in conclusion are a reiteration of
> the first issue that I bring up in this comment.
> You have defended your opinion vehemently
> precisely as just your opinion. When presented
> with evidence calling that opinion into question...

No evidence calling my opinion into question has been presented. It's not *possible* to present any evidence calling it into question -- it's a subjective opinion. It's not a fact. The "orthodox" interpretation of Plato you seem so enamored with is not a fact. You do know the difference between facts and subjective opinions...? There is no "correct" interpretation of Plato. There is no incorrect interpretation of Plato. You can argue for your opinion, and I can for mine -- but neither of us must accept by reason of evidence the opinion of the other.

And in case you missed it, it was your insistence that what I took from the story was "wrong" that I was making fun of. As I would make fun of anyone who insisted what I took from it was the only possible thing to take from it, and yours was "wrong."
Because you seem to have missed the point entirely.

> ...this is precisely what
> the allegory which is the subject of this
> conversation teaches about.

There you are insisting that you have the one and only interpretation of what this allegory teaches, thus contradicting yourself. Who decided what "precisely" this allegory teaches about -- you? One of hundreds of philosophical "authorities" that you've read?

I think you made my point, and I'll stick to taking from the story that "philosophers" are often too arrogant about their supposed knowledge, thinking they have all the answers (or the only ones), when in reality they have subjective opinions (and don't admit that they do) and speculation (which they often tout as "truth"), feeling unwarranted pity or disgust for anyone who doesn't share their opinions or accept their speculations.

I think you exhibited the very traits I wrote about originally. Nicely done :)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 13, 2016 09:21AM

You do put the time in to prove your point.

I could have missed it, but I don't seem to notice you being persuaded by anyone's comments on the board through various topics. Your subjective opinions go unrattled. If true, you're in good company.

(Somehow I feel like "I could have missed it" is going to get it's own heading very soon)

Date: December 14, 2016 04:09PM

thingsithink Wrote:
> You do put the time in to prove your point.

Always. :)

> I could have missed it, but I don't seem to notice
> you being persuaded by anyone's comments on the
> board through various topics. Your subjective
> opinions go unrattled. If true, you're in good
> company.

You have missed it.
When good reasons are given, my opinions change.

> (Somehow I feel like "I could have missed it" is
> going to get it's own heading very soon)

That would be a long thread...! :)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 11:12PM

So, how come all you men, and a couple of women, have caves on your minds? Siegmund's Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2016 11:13PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 08, 2016 11:49PM

Boner, you are a pervert.

Which is a good thing.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 12:24AM

:D :D :D !!!

Or, as my Dad would say, "If the condom fits, wear it!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2016 12:26AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 12:47AM

Once the cranium is extracted, it takes a while to shrink back down to size. Mine still has an echo.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 09:32AM

Michael Nesmith

The Prison: A Book with a Soundtrack https://g.co/kgs/LbmDsI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 08:39AM by siobhan.

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: December 09, 2016 01:43PM

From the BBC:

"Plato wondered if what we perceive as reality is like the shadows projected onto the walls of a cave. Immanuel Kant asserted that, while there might be some "thing in itself" that underlies the appearances we perceive, we can never know it. René Descartes accepted, in his famous one-liner "I think therefore I am", that the capacity to think is the only meaningful criterion of existence we can attest.

The concept of "the world as simulation" takes that old philosophical saw and clothes it in the garb of our latest technologies. There is no harm in that. Like many philosophical conundrums, it impels us to examine our assumptions and preconceptions.

But until you can show that drawing distinctions between what we experience and what is "real" leads to demonstrable differences in what we might observe or do, it does not change our notion of reality in a meaningful way."

While knowing that there is a Creator existing in a deeper reality would not change the way our reality functions, it would provide a very different context for that functioning. Would you live differently if reality showed itself to be weighted in favor of the existence of a creator? I would, if for no other reason than knowing that my reality is just a version or reflection of something beyond my ability to comprehend.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160901-we-might-live-in-a-computer-program-but-it-may-not-matter

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: December 10, 2016 06:06AM

When you change your position (mental, physical, etc.), the shadows change, and so does the individual, and the light, and the size of the cave.

Posted by: Albert North Whitehead ( )
Date: December 12, 2016 01:52PM

Okay, they didn't quote me quite right on this one…

(Cabdriver-philosopher doing a bit of "séance work" this time… Okay, that's a metaphor, folks; I'm thinking some raised in the collective need some serious lessons in the ability to think abstractly. That might save them from a fate of offering up an absurd image of someone talking down to an individual who's way above them)

http://www.age-of-the-sage.org/philosophy/footnotes_plato.html

>A.N. Whitehead (Alfred North Whitehead) was a widely influential twentieth century philosopher and mathematician. He is responsible for coining the following celebrated quote about Plato's enduring influence.

>The safest general characterization of the European philosophical tradition is that it consists of a series of footnotes to Plato.

Alfred North Whitehead, Process and Reality, p. 39 [Free Press, 1979];

/zen voice on

First there is a mountain; then there is no mountain; then there is...

Posted by: Love these threads ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 02:24PM

I love when these philosophical threads come up and go deep into thought. ExMos are some of the deepest thinkers.

I think the stacking doll of caves allegory is correct. Caves of cultural construction. Remember the root word for culture is cult. Culture creates the individual world's view similar to those they associate. Mormonism is just one cave.

Where is light found in these dark caves? IMO in the logical inconsistences and ideas which cause cognitive dissonance. When cognitive dissonance sets in, if we choose to embrace it and learn we grow in understanding the world in a broader sense. You understand that level of the stacking doll. Think about it, most of you know Mormonism better than 99% of TBMs. You call them Morgbots because you understand how they are going to react to various stimulants in their environment better than they do. Just like an scientist understands what is going to happen in an experiment he has seen 1000 times. Your purview is from a high point where you see the moving parts and have a real UNDERSTANDING. You see the puppeteers.

Other stacking doll levels? Education system, Economic system, Monetary System, and Politics etc. The world is full of bullshit. If you start to use the same modality of critical thinking (deep meaningful thinking and research) used to debunk Mormonism you'll find there's a lot more caves to see through. You need to ask yourself an important question why is critical thinking and formal logic not taught to the masses? Why was Plato's Republic and other mind expanding classics part of the schooling system children received, but no longer taught? Google Prussian Education and put on your Ex-Mo thinking cap, and you'll find out why people by and large are so stupid. Before you say the populous isn't stupid, think about the last presidential election. Apex of idiocy.

When I research and think about these things, I try to think in terms of probability. To come to a point of certainty by nature you have to veer from deductive to inductive reasoning because of a lack of complete data.

Therefore knowledge can only be broken down into 4 categories:

1. You know what you know. This is something you have personally experienced via your senses. The cause and effect relationship of ideas are coherent, and you understand the outcome of certain criteria. No matter how the idea is scrutinized the truth is self-evident, the proof can be experienced by your senses. If you find yourself thinking you know something, explore the idea from another angle and see how it holds up.

2. You know what you think you know. People have a hard time with this one. This is probability thinking, but people love absolutes in a world drenched with fear and filled to the brim in horseshit. This is the ability to suspend emotion on a subject, scrutinize it, and identify information holes in the coherency of ideas. This is being prudent, or the application of common sense. Being wrong or changing one’s mind because more information came to light is perfectly acceptable. We see politicians flip flop on various topics, normally it’s for political gain. Wouldn't it make sense if they explained their reasoning to see if any of it made sense? A prudent population armed with common sense would demand transparency of those that govern over them.

3. You know what you don't know. On some subjects this is easy to admit. I do not know rocket science. It gets tricky when assumptions are made which are promoted as fact if it fits within the parameters of an ideology or someone’s thinking. We end up saying we know something just because it makes us feel good or secure. Instead of constructive discourse emotion gets in the way if the ideology attached to one's sense of self. This is where sucking it up, and saying I was wrong comes into play. However, identifying what you don't know is the place in the mind where a thirst for knowledge is acquired.

4. You don't know what you don't know. Curiosity and a sense of wonder has been at the heart of every human innovation. This sense of wonder is at the heart of the Renaissance and every other era of human enlightenment. What else is out there? What ideas can change mankind for the better? What is the true nature of reality? When you wonder about what you don't know, ideas tend to take form. The words “I don't know, but I'm going to find out”, or “I'm going to find a way” really take on meaning.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.