Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 08:54PM

I have been following and reading everyone's post for
quiet a while however, just got around to registering.
I have been a member since 1974 but haven't been active in
years and finally had my fill of Mormon or Moran crap and sent
in my resignation letter to the stake president via certified mail. I am assuming per what I have read online I will be called
to come meet with him?? If so I have a lot to say. Has anyone here followed there resignation protocol?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 09:11PM

Hi Bettydee,

You don't need to meet with the Stake president if you don't want to. When I resigned mine was sent directly to SLC, as I bypassed the local channels intentionally.

Today you can resign by e-mail to SLC. It's really that simple.

Welcome to RfM, and your new life sans Mormonism.

May the force be with you. ;)

And Happy Holidays to you and yours. :)

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 09:55PM

Hello bettydee
Since I'm a old baby boomer I like to say to people who have just left the church "welcome back to life, in living color."
It nice to have your here and to learn form your experiences.
Amyjo is right you don't have to meet with anyone, you are now free.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: December 23, 2016 10:12PM

Hi, bettydee,

It sounds like you may be looking forward to meeting with the stake president. If so, I hope that you have fun! In some ways, I wish that I had a Mormon official to whom I could say a few things, but I suppose that it is better to remain quiet, given that I have never actually joined the church.

I hope that you have no problems due to your resignation. Good luck, and tell it like it is!

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 12:48AM

Even though you're now legally out, it's still possible that the SP will be an ass about it by sitting on the letter, or (worse) tossing it out, instead of forwarding it to HQ. That's the problem with going through the locals, and why we generally recommend resigning directly via Member Records in SLC; they'll actually process it, albeit more slowly than we would prefer.

Contact Member Recs if you haven't gotten your sayonara letter within 60 days or so.

I'm sure that you want to give your SP an earful but, to be honest, he really doesn't care about what you have to say. He'll simply dismiss it all as the dark ravings of an angry apostate. Why bother?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 01:04AM

First of all, once they receive your resignation letter, you are no longer a member. You are done. You are out. They have no need to contact you, other than, maybe verifying who you are.

There is no need to meet with anyone. If, however, you want to talk to the bishop, who will likely call you, you can do so. My recommendation is to either do it on the phone or in your home, Do Not go to the church bldg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 01:05AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 04:05AM

Nice to meet you. I resigned long enough ago with a registered letter sent to SLC. I think it is cool that it can all be done on line now. I had the stake president call and could have done without that.

Looking forward to hearing more from you on RFM.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 24, 2016 10:09AM

I would send an email to the Member Records department in SLC as well. MR takes oversight of the process if the local church leadership balks.

http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm

Sometimes you will get a call from the bishop or SP, wanting to confirm that it's you and that you really wish to resign. You can ignore this call if you wish, although it can speed things along if you do confirm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2016 10:11AM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.