Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Former MoMo ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 09:32AM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 09:42AM

Bad MoTab Mormon!

Independent thought! Questioning authority!

No donut for you!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 10:31AM

Jan Chamberlain’s full statement:

================================================

"Dear Family and Friends, This is the message I have sent to Choir:

Dear President Jarrett and Choir,

Today is my birthday. (Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you...........)

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I submit my resignation to you and to Choir. I’m am praying that Jesus will help me get through this email before I totally break down.

I thank you all for 5 very meaningful years. There are many memories and experiences which I will cherish and hold dear in my heart.

Since “the announcement”, I have spent several sleepless nights and days in turmoil and agony. I have reflected carefully on both sides of the issue, prayed a lot, talked with family and friends, and searched my soul.

I’ve tried to tell myself that by not going to the inauguration, that I would be able to stay in Choir for all the other good reasons.

I have highly valued the mission of the Choir to be good- will ambassadors for Christ, to share beautiful music and to give hope, inspiration, and comfort to others.

I’ve tried to tell myself that it will be alright and that I can continue in good conscience before God and man.

But it’s no use. I simply cannot continue with the recent turn of events. I could never look myself in the mirror again with self respect.

I love you all, and I know the goodness of your hearts, and your desire to go out there and show that we are politically neutral and share good will. That is the image Choir wishes to present and the message they desperately want to send.

I also know, looking from the outside in, it will appear that Choir is endorsing tyranny and facism by singing for this man.

And Choir’s wonderful image and networking will be severely damaged and that many good people throughout this land and throughout the world already do and will continue to feel betrayed. I believe hereafter our message will not be believed by many that have loved us and adored what we have stood for.

I know that I too feel betrayed.

Tyranny is now on our doorstep; it has been sneaking its way into our lives through stealth. Now it will burst into our homes through storm. I hope that we and many others will work together with greater dilligence and awareness to calmly and bravely work together to defend our freedoms and our rights for our families, our friends, and our fellow citizens. I hope we can throw off the labels and really listen to each other with respect, love, compassion, and a true desire to bring our energies and souls together in solving the difficult problems that lie in our wake.

In the show Wicked, the Wizard makes a really interesting statement. He says “ I create conflict to stay in power.” This scenario can keep us perpetually distracted and at odds with each other and keep us from working together to solve important issues. This also allows those in office to do whatever they want to unchecked. I believe this has been done to us, both cunningly and intentionally. I believe we have a lot more in common than we have in difference, and if we will listen to each other, we can learn a great deal from one another. And we can learn to work together to defend our freedoms with sensibility and integrity.

When I first auditioned and entered Choir, it was to follow deep personal impressions, and to honor my late father, who was among the best of men. Now I must leave Choir for the same reasons. My father ( who was an expert airforce bomber) hated tyranny and was extremely distraught over the holocaust. He and Mom both loved people greatly.

I have deep patriotic feelings for this country and for the freedoms of people everywhere throughout the world. I am troubled by the problems we face which seek to destroy our love for liberty and respect for humanity internationally.

History is repeating itself; the same tactics are being used by Hitler (identify a problem, finding a scapegoat target to blame, and stirring up people with a combination of fanaticism, false promises, and fear, and gathering the funding). I plead with everyone to go back and read the books we all know on these topics and review the films produced to help us learn from these gargantuan crimes so that we will not allow them to be repeated. Evil people prosper when good people stand by and do nothing.

We must continue our love and support for the refugees and the oppressed by fighting against these great evils.

For me, this is a HUGELY moral issue. “ as he died to make men holy, let us live to make free” ( The first time I heard this beautiful piece, I was 11 years old; my brother Jim was singing in Honor Choir. IT”S message sent inspirational electricity through my soul and penetrated every fiber of my being. THIS is Choir’s true message, and we don’t want it lost by giving the opposite message).

James 1:27 “Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.” This scripture has been resonating with me a lot lately.

I only know I could never “throw roses to Hitler.” And I certainly could never sing for him.

Much love to you all. I wish you all blessings and happiness.

My heart is shattered and broken............. but my conscience is clear. And THAT, really is all that matters.

Respectfully,

Jan Chamberlin

(Happy birthday dear Jannie............ happy birthday..................................to...................... you......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................."

Posted by: Anonatthispoint ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 11:19AM

Jan Chamberlain wrote:

> History is repeating itself; the same tactics are
> being used by Hitler (identify a problem, finding
> a scapegoat target to blame, and stirring up
> people with a combination of fanaticism, false
> promises, and fear, and gathering the funding). I
> plead with everyone to go back and read the books
> we all know on these topics and review the films
> produced to help us learn from these gargantuan
> crimes so that we will not allow them to be
> repeated. Evil people prosper when good people
> stand by and do nothing.

Aside from political perspectives, Jan seems to be describing the Mormon church here.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 04:21PM

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 10:36AM

Yes! Jan! Yes!

Posted by: Forgotten ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 11:44AM

I'll bet no one gives a crap what she thinks. She sounds like an ill-informed drama queen to me.

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 11:55AM

Forgotten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll bet no one gives a crap what she thinks. She
> sounds like an ill-informed drama queen to me.

Yeah, I think so, too. Referencing, 'Wicked' was unwise for her credibility.

I never understand why Mormons watch and pay for entertainment that is against their 'values'.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 06:36PM

Add: "self-righteous drama queen."

I feel that she is the one guilty of "betrayal." Obviously, she didn't listen to Hilary Clinton's wonderful concession speech.

"Hitler?" Reeeeeheeeally.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 11:47AM

Mo tab is volunteer anyway so she can take off and have someone else fill in her shoes during the vent. Not need to go FB and get some viral post.

She's probably a big fan of W. Cleon Skousen.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 11:49AM

"I also know, looking from the outside in, it will appear that Choir is endorsing tyranny and facism by singing for this man."

Gee, here, I thought they were singing for the country's nationalism and not just for one of many presidents that have steered the country towards a cliff of despair or prosperity.

Posted by: de ja vue ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 11:51AM

Yippee! More bad press for the cult. I understand Rolling Stone and NY Times has now picked up the story. Happy dance.

Posted by: hopefulhusband ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 02:04PM

I wonder why she never resigned when singing "Praise to the Man!"

JS was banging 14 year old girls! If you won't sing to a president who has betrayed your morals; how can you justify singing praises to somebody who has performed worse acts with underage girls?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 02:18PM by hopefulhusband.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 02:37PM

hopefulhusband Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder why she never resigned when singing
> "Praise to the Man!"

Maybe this experience will get her thinking about just that.
I can hope...:)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 02:40PM

One thing the cult hates is bad press, so I wonder now if she's going to be in trouble with her local leaders. After all, they don't like women who don't keep sweet and speak their minds instead of just going along with the rest of the sheeple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 02:40PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 03:03PM

I doubt she had any idea what a media storm this would create. It took guts to post her letter publicly. In the context I know her (barely), she is generally a quiet person.

I've seen both praise and criticism on her facebook page, and frankly, I'm concerned about the enormous pressure this would put on a person. She is taking a huge professional/financial risk in speaking out against the choir. For many TBMs, that is the same as criticizing the brethren, and it's probably going to affect her income. For this reason, I don't think she's doing this for attention. I think she's doing it because she feels that she MUST speak out.

So for those who might be tempted to accuse her of trying to get attention for herself: I truly doubt that.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 06:43PM

This is a valuable insight, imaworkinonit. Thanks for your comments.

I'm not a big fan of piling on some person unknown to oneself, especially on the basis of one moment in their lives, one FB post, etc.

This is obviously a very big deal to her and maybe she didn't express it perfectly or think it out completely or view every side of it all before writing her feelings down. As with so many people, very likely she didn't realize it would get so much attention from strangers or that her own character and statements would come under close scrutiny. Given the subject matter, it's bound to be a hot topic that she may just not have foreseen. Many seem to see FB as their own private little bubble and tend to proceed as if they're just speaking to close friends or family.

However, Welcome World, if your comments go viral!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 06:44PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 12:41AM

I was surprised that her facebook page wasn't private at all. I'm not facebook friends with her but I could read anything on her home page and was able to send her a private message of support. I did that privately because I really avoid saying ANYTHING involving the church on facebook.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 03:58PM

Any human being in a free society is free to choose what their actions entail. If a choir member chooses not to participate then it is their choice. It is all right "SO LONG AS" they do not try to forcibly interfere with the rights of another human being!!!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 04:29PM

^ I second desertman. ^

And let me build on his thought: the dissent of one person can encourage others to dissent. There is no value in marching in lockstep unless one is in a marching band. By voicing her opinion she helps others to do the same (whether or not they agree with her).

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 05:08PM

Only one step up from supermarket tabloids but the Daily Mail site has an article on this. Many of the reader comments are quite interesting o n the subject of Mormonism.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 06:14PM

I thought this was a non political forum, which is nice, but apparently Trump is not a banned word.
Yet.
I think its expected when MORmONS stick their necks out Morally, they're going to get them chopped off by the mere fact they sing praises of a pedophile.

Posted by: bettydee ( )
Date: December 30, 2016 06:17PM

Quiet frankly I am amazed she actually had an opinion of her own.
So she resigned from a church choir and called a news conference? Why is this newsworthy?
Looks like she is just wanting to bring attention to herself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.