Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 06:08AM

Health experts recommended a glass of wine every day.

I have only tasted sips of wine, here and there--and hated it too much to really drink a whole glass of it. I'm also afraid alcohol will hurt my stomach and bladder. Another fear I have is that alcohol will effect the quality of my sleep.

--Should I drink it in the late afternoon, instead of in the evening?
--Is it best with food?
--How many ounces is "a glass" of wine?
--Does plain concord grape juice benefit as much, or is the alcohol a necessary ingredient?
--Can I drive after drinking one glass of wine? How soon?
--Which type of red wine is the sweetest and smoothest, for the first-time wine drinker?

I understand that, eventually, I will acquire a taste for a variety of wines, and start enjoying them.

For now, I want an inexpensive red wine, because I would not properly appreciate an expensive wine.

Thanks! I hope this is on topic. The only reason I haven't ever had a drink is that I've been a BIC Mormon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 06:46AM

Hi Pariah! I'm glad to hear you are thinking about trying some wine. I have been a wine enthusiast and had a backyard vineyard and I made my own for a few years.

For starters - you probably want to stick with a light white wine. It does take a few weeks for your taste buds to adjust to the flavor of the alcohol. If you have a trader joes or someplace that sells low-cost wine I would go for that as you will not be able to appreciate the flavors of a >$60 bottle for a few months. I would first look for a Sauvignon Blanc or a Pinot Grigio that is on the lighter side of alcohol. If you pick up the bottle and read the label look for the percentage of alcohol. The average in the US is 13.5% but this is already a bigger wine. Try to find something that is <12.5%. I know that such a tiny difference in alcohol percentage may not seem like that big of a deal but it really is.

Typically the colder the region the grapes come from (and the shorter the growing season) means the alcohol percent will be less. European wines also tend to be on the lighter side. If you can find the European white-wine selection you should be in a good place to pick a wine that you will like.

Stick to white wine for a couple of weeks. After you feel comfortable with your white wine then you can go for a bottle of LIGHT red. Again the european reds are usually lighter. Check the alcohol percentage carefully as you browse the wines. This is one of the biggest indicators of what the wine will be like when you drink it. When choosing a starting red wine look for something that is 13.5% or less. If you can find red wine that is at 13% then that would be a suitable starting wine to try.

Eventually someone will slip you a bottle of a big bold red. California wines are notorious for this. If the alcohol percentage is 14% or even 15-16% then you will be in for a "big wine" experience. Bigger wines tend to take over your palate and are usually jammy and have a lot going on. Lots of people like this style. I used to but now I don't anymore.

The nice thing about red wine is that it is full of complex Phenol molecules that were in the grape skins. These molecules easily bind with the fat molecules in your mouth and wash them down. The effect is that your mouth will be stripped clean of fat and your teeth may feel dry - like they are wearing socks. What this does is it really clears your palate for the next bite of food. A big red wine is best paired with a rich fatty meal like steak or chocolate. You will see what I mean when you give it a try.

White wine is great for leisurely sipping and lighter meals while red wine is best with richer food.

If you do buy a bottle and it really does not taste good to you then trust your palate and throw it away. I have purchased many bottles over the years that were "cooked" or even "corked". A bottle of corked wine is the worst. This comes from a mold that gets in the cork that makes a very odd flavor - sort of like an old newspaper or wet socks. When you are at a restaurant and you order a bottle of wine and the waiter gives you a test sip this is what you are supposed to be checking for.

As for driving after a drink...one drink is probably ok. ANY MORE THAN THAT and you better have a plan for how you are going to get home. Uber is WAY cheaper than a DUI. I have a close friend who got a DUI and it will end up costing him over $8k when it is all said and done. So, get in the habit of planning with your partner or anyone who is going out with you and make the agreement of who will stay sober to drive home and stick to it. If you both drink then get an Uber.

Enjoy your freedom and all of the new experiences you can have with drinking! It is a rewarding thing to get into. Be safe and have fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 06:51AM by praydude.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 08:28AM

He knows what he's talking about.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 08:12AM

just get some resveratrol tablets

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 10:11AM

I don't drink, so that's what I do.

Pariah, don't think that just because now that you're free of LDS pharasaism, you should go out and do all sorts of things now that you con't term it "sin." Take your time, think things through. For example, the church condemns adultery. That doesn't mean you should go cheat on your spouse.

Date: January 07, 2017 05:04PM

( thank you)

fact is that most wine is .....well, NASTY! which is exactly why the OP is compelled to ask how to ease into the deal. AND wine is expensive. While resveratrol tabs may not be as sweet as candy, they are not nasty tasting and not hard to get down ....not as nearly as hard as some Nasty tasting wine. Resveratrol Tabs are more cost effective too.

Posted by: Anonforthis20 ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 06:37PM

Um, I beg to differ. Wine is delicious. Although perhaps not to someone with the palate of a 10 year-old. Which many mormons seem to have.

Date: January 07, 2017 10:17PM

any time that an explanation is used/ required to state the case of how something really is delicious (because its flavor /taste could not get the job done on its own) .....

Date: January 10, 2017 04:32AM

That's me! The palate of a 10-year-old!

I do like sangria!

I would rather drink a big glass of grape juice over ice cubes.

I'm also a health nut.

So, maybe not a good candidate for alcohol.

I appreciate the good advice, because I do entertain people who drink, and some of my family members drink, so I do need to become a savvy adult about this.

Date: January 10, 2017 04:54AM

Thank you very much for all these good tips!

My original question was about the health value of wine--but I really do want to drink socially, and join in the fun, with my new non-Mormon friends. I need to relax, as sometimes I'm tense in social situations. Also, some of my adult children drink, and I want to have some on hand.

I do not like to be "that person" who sips on a glass of milk all evening, and glares at others who get tipsy and loud. (Well--no one does that!)

You all seem enthusiastic about wine--and I want some of that enthusiasm, too!

I agree about having that Mormon sweet-tooth, and I gave up sugar, cold turkey, several years ago--I had withdrawals--body aches, chills, fatigue and shakiness--for four days, as the poison left my body.

Right after that, I discovered the joy tasting the world's cheeses! I think discovering the varieties and flavors of wine will be just as much fun--maybe even more fun, with the added buzz!

Posted by: NYCGal ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 09:35AM

Unfortunately, starting with cheap wine is a poor way to develop a taste for it. Plonk is plonk. It tastes bad to a beginner and tastes bad to a wine lover. No need to spend $50 or more for a bottle when you're learning about wine. But one should try to go around $15 to $20 for a decent bottle.

Google Eric Asimov of the NYTimes. He does a column every year on 20 wines under $20. This would set you on a good path. He also does a Wine School column every month which is informative.

For me -- my wine epiphany happened at a dinner in the executive dining room of Lehman Bros over 25 years ago.

Waiters were pouring a white wine with the appetizer, and I thought, "Why not?" At that point I was inactive in TSSC. I was living in the big city and I was young and eager to experience it all.

After the waiter poured it, I took one sip and immediately thought, "That is the single best thing I have ever tasted in my life. It's like manna from heaven."

I asked the waiter what it was. He replied it was a white burgundy. I didn't know a thing about wine so did not know what else to ask. I'll never know vintner, year or appellation of that first revelatory wine. But it set me on a journey of wine discovery.

Thus, my first wine was an expensive and high quality French one from the Lehman Bros cellar. Had my first wine been two-buck chuck, I probably would never have tried wine again.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 09:51AM

I agree with Praydude to start with a white wine. I would recommend a Chardonnay. Try a California or Australian wine. This article discusses what comprises a standard "glass" of wine (there is no standard, although restaurants typically pour around 5.5 oz.) I think if you are drinking for health reasons, 4 oz. is typically recommended. But you might want to check on that. And a little more would do you no harm.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/11/wine-serves-how-much-do-you-get

Drinking a glass or two of wine should not affect your sleep to any great degree. It doesn't hit you like a drug. It's more of a relaxing effect.

Don't drive when you are first starting to drink alcohol. You need to see how it hits you. Buy a bottle of wine and pour yourself a glass after work or with dinner. Yes, it's best to eat something at first. I come home, enjoy a snack (maybe some crackers with cheese,) and a glass of wine. I have another glass with dinner. The idea of "don't drink by yourself" is bunk.

If you go out to a bar or restaurant, it's best to stick to one drink. Experienced drinkers might be able to handle two. Above that and you are possibly risking a DUI depending on how you spaced your drinks, whether you ate, etc.

I would *not* recommend a sweet wine. This seems counter-intuitive, doesn't it? Sweetness tends to increase hangover potential. Plus it's best to get your palate used to drier wines right from the start.

When you are ready for a red wine, you might start with a Merlot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 09:55AM by summer.

Date: January 07, 2017 04:37PM

I agree with this! If there were a facebook "like" i would hit it.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 12:24PM

4-5 ounces is generally a glass of wine.

The problem with palates, is everyone is different, and what you like may not be what I like.

Red wine tends to run dry and turn newbies off to it, but there are sweet reds out there, but don't overdo it. Summer is right, that sweet stuff can make a hangover easier. Cheap stuff can do it too. You want to get a bottle in the range of $10-20 usually.

Do you like bubbles? Barefoot Wines make a bubbly pink moscato and I think they make a red moscato as well.

Depending on where you are, you can see if a wine bar or a restaurant offers a wine flight, where you pay to sample 4-6 wines. Most places will also give you a tasting before you commit to a glass and you can pair it with something that sounds good.

In the end though, wine is an acquired taste as many "grown-up" flavours are such as stinky cheeses, bitter vegetables, teas and coffees. You can always buy resvatrol as another poster explained.

Date: January 07, 2017 04:42PM

I like this post too! You made me realize that a Prosecco would probably be a great choice for someone just starting to drink! Light and bubbly with a bit of sweetness. Make sure to pair it with some good cheese and crackers.

I have a friend who loves champagne and salty snacks. I totally get that combo too. You don't have to go to crazy price-wise to get a decent champagne.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 04:51PM

Besides Prosecco, when I first started to drink I loved Asti Spumanti instead of champagne. The Asti appealed to my naive palate at the time. Now I love the dry champagnes like the Salon Brute and would never drink the Asti.

As for training wheels, the first red I liked was a Lambrusco. White zinfandel worked for me in the beginning for white.

You gave excellent advice praydude.

P.S. I had friends when I was young who had big bucks and expensive tastes in wine. When they poured me a glass the taste made me gag. I couldn't even swallow. Enjoying wine is an acquired taste, and, I have definitely acquired it.

Date: January 07, 2017 05:18PM

Cava, Prosecco, Espumante, California, Rose, haven't found one yet that I dislike. I like to mix with a juice, usually pineapple, but have found that grapefruit, cranberry, kiwi-strawberry, and pomegranate juices all work well, too. Add a frozen berry or two and you have a nice sparkling wine cocktail.

And with salty snacks? Excellent. There is a reason caviar and champagne go so well together. :)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 12:27PM

My favorite wine, I prefer sweet, is a good Portuguese ruby port.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 05:01PM

Eating red grapes has some of the same benefits.

Same for Welch's grape juice. The red grape juice, that is. :)

My TBM temple recommend holding grandmother drank two glasses of wine a day for her heart, as prescribed by her MD, back in the day before it was scientifically known to have all the benefits it does.

It probably did extend her life some.

Each of her sons were alcoholics. There is a genetic link to alcoholism, so still out to lunch on whether my grandma was one or not. Grandpa was a teetoler when I remember him. But I've been told he could drink too, when ranching in his younger years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2017 05:05PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 05:09PM

Many years ago I tried various bottles and found one which was superior to the price. It doubled in price very soon afterwards. Purchase several and try to place them in taste without knowing the price and then see if you place them in the price order. On occasion you will find one over-priced or under-priced but generally they will come out in price order.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 07:30PM

Put the idea of drinking wine aside for the moment. The thing to do, first, is wean yourself off of sugar, off of sweet.

The Mormon diet is sickly sweet. Wine, like coffee, is bitter. Your palate rejects wine because it is used to sweet.

Wine is part of a pleasurable life. It should not be consumed unless it brings genuine pleasure. Why force 'nasty' upon yourself? The health angle is mostly an industry canard. We drink wine because it is a pleasure to do so, no more.

Forget wine for the moment and begin with forgetting sweet (and salt). While reducing sweet introduce various bitter things (and sour). Soon you'll acquire a taste for bitter (and sour) and learn to moderate the easier pleasure of sweet (and salt).

Next comes coffee and tea.

Then you'all be ready for wine.

(For white I like the Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand''s Marlborough region; for reds I like the Malbec's from Argentina's Mendoza region. Among others.)

Cheers,

Human

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 08:52AM

>>(For white I like the Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand's Marlborough region; for reds I like the Malbec's from Argentina's Mendoza region. Among others.)

I forgot about Malbecs. They are wonderful and easy to drink. I like the SB's from New Zealand as well.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 09:21AM

+1000 on this sugar comment, so true. And over processed, quicky foods break down into sugars giving you a quick energy boost that leaves you flat or even hangry much too soon. The good things in life are good because they are earned. But not hard-earned.
And two thumbs up for Malbecks - Gascon is amazing.

Posted by: Stick to jello ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 10:42PM

The majesty and elegance of jello, temple hokum and "treats" are good enough for you.

Know your place, accept your station, be content with your part in life.

Sure, there are incredibly transcendent experiences for the elite.

You're a Mormon. Excuse me, "ex" Mormon, and being charitable one can only advise you to remain faithful to your traditions, the palate you have developed for cake and donuts, taffy and moose tracks.

You can try some Cabernet or Merlot, even a Chardonnay, but really, isn't it more posing? Like a 9 year old in lipstick and fuck me pumps? Pearls before swine?

Posted by: itwasnotme ( )
Date: January 07, 2017 11:31PM

Oh no! I have friends in the wine business (wine writers, websites, reviewers) and they say ABC. Anything but Chardonnay. I usually stick to a Pinot Grigio. Not the Barefoot brand. Ugh. The post above recommends two excellent choices, Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand's Marlborough region and Malbec's from Argentina's Mendoza region. When I buy wine I shop by the numbers. I frequent wine stores that tell you how wine magazines rated the wines. I look for wines that are rated 90 or above. In some stores, like Wegeman's or Joe Canals, they group together highly rated wines that cost under $10. It was fun to buy a couple to sample with friends. FYI, wine you drink in a restaurant with friends when you're having a great time will taste very differently when you're drinking it at a quiet dinner at home. Wine is very much part of an experience. Most importantly, some states have a zero tolerance for alcohol and driving. Unlike states that allow you to have a minimal quantity before you are considered impaired, other states demand you blow a zero or it's a DWI. Enjoy and don't forget to toast everyone here on RfM.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 01:41PM

Dwi level is .08 in all 50 states, .04 for commercial drivers, 0.0 only applies to underage drinkers (under 21).

http://www.dmv.org/automotive-law/dui.php

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 12:10AM

So we are born with a wine deficiency?

If you want to gain health with bad tasting food, eat more broccoli. Doesn't have any alcohol, and alcohol is a toxin.

I went to a company party after quitting the church and had guys trying to get me to drink beer. I finally relented just to shut them up and took a few swigs of the nasty. The joy on their face reminded me of missionaries who just gained a convert.

Date: January 08, 2017 05:09AM

I was stationed in South Korea in the USAF and I remember a similar moment. I was not sure the church was true but I didn't really want to drink. My fellow NCO's impressed upon me the folly of not drinking and I relented. I was proud of myself for "doing the nasty" and ashamed as well. I'm not sure I was ready to take such a big step. Looking back I realize that they all did in fact love me and they wanted me to be part of the club. The drinking was a way to melt barriers and strengthen the bonds of men-at-arms. When I rotated back home I kept this a secret.

The whole thing seems so silly now but back then it was a big baby step to normalcy. Mormonism wants to keep people "in the world but not of the world" but really that just keeps us divided from other people. Mormons want to think they are better than everyone else who drinks and really they are more sad and desperate. I was a hollow person back then. I have grown a lot since then.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 09, 2017 08:04AM

I've found that like beer, there is a wine out there that you will love. It took a lot of trying. Basically, all I found is that pretty much all white wines can set my teeth on edge unless they are very, very dry, like a dry pinot grigio/pino gris. The very best white for my palate is Soave, from Soave, Italy, which uses an atypical white grape, the Garanega. It's great with fish and chicken. (And Soave is a beautiful town right on the autostrada, so if you're ever driving through, it's worth a visit.)

I love deep and tasty reds the best, though, but once again despise the sweet stuff. A lot of American wines appeal to Americans' need for sweet. Real sweet is okay if it's intended for a dessert wine, something like a muscadine. Or in the South, a "scuppernong." But for normal dinner drinking, there's nothing better than a rich, dry malbec or a nero d'avola (dark Sicilian grape). And remember, Italian is ALWAYS the best. French is great. Spain is great. Washington state wines are great. California wines are pretty darn good, but avoid the rot gut (you get what you pay for). Chile, Argentina, and Australia are pretty good. I think that South African wines are pretty bad.

With a nice, slow meal (Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.), it's easy to go through two big glasses of heady read wine. It really helps the meal go down well, and the conversation and food keep your head on straight. It's a very responsible way to drink lots of wine. Do it a few times, and you will realize how empty the Thanksgiving experience is without wine.

If some Mormon says something about you drinking wine, the best comeback I've found is Garrison Keillor's deadpan sentence, "Our Lord drank wine."

Posted by: Pam ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 12:01AM

My red wine choice is 14 Hands Merlot

Date: January 10, 2017 07:24AM

Does it involve horses or something?

Posted by: Pam ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 11:37PM

Yes, horses on the label

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 11:21AM

--Sangria (red wine sweetened with sugar & fresh fruit)
--Moscato (red or pink, I like Barefoot brand)

Drink with a little food.

It doesn't interfere with my sleep. Very relaxing.

When you starting drinking straight red wine, do some research on temperature -- it really does make a difference.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 03:04PM

One thing I recommend when it comes to red wine, is letting it breathe by opening the bottle for at least half an hour before drinking it. I found that by doing that, you get rid of much of the harshness of it.

Date: January 10, 2017 04:51PM

I really appreciate this! Maybe other alcohol newbies are reading this thread, too. It is downright embarrassing to admit my ignorance on this subject! I would have been afraid to ask these questions, and people would have been to disdainful to answer them.

Types of wine, different grapes grown in different regions, price, color, acidity, sweetness, dryness, temperature, letting the wine breathe, etc.--there's a lot to learn!

I am saving this thread! It was like taking a crash-course in wines! :-)

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 01:27PM

Go to a wine tasting. Preferably one where you can order food. The people in these places love, love, love, to talk about wine. They will tell you so much info it will make your head spin.

If you like cheeses, read up on pairing cheese and wine. A good cheese can go a long way to bring out the very best in a wine. It's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 06:57PM

Red blends are a blend of several grapes. They tend to be good as they usually blend the wine to make up for the deficiencies of any one part. If you like whites, sauv blancs are worth trying, agree with Marlborough region of NZ.

If there's a wine store or winery near you they often have wine tastings. This is a good way to try a few and see what you like. Local wines can be wonderful. Wine department managers often have great suggestions, so do good waiters. Don't be afraid to ask.

Trust yourself. There isn't a certain kind you "should" like. Have fun.

Posted by: 6 iron ( )
Date: January 10, 2017 07:13PM

You will find the perfect red wine just as you retire, until then, enjoy the search.

Posted by: dadsprimalscream ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 01:33AM

I also recommend having a glass of water nearby for a couple of reasons. Drink the water, instead of the wine to quench thirst or dryness. Don't think of the wine as a drink in the traditional sense that we Mormons do and guzzle it down. Use the water for that. It will also cleanse the palate after a bite of cheese, crackers or meat. This will all help you enjoy the wine slowly and in sips.

Someone once explained to me as a beginner that wine is like the cranberry sauce in a Thanksgiving dinner (if you like cranberry sauce, that is). It enhances the experience with the other foods on the plate, so take a small sip before eating anything, then again after taking a bite of whatever and see how the food you just ate changes the taste of the next sip of the wine.

Enjoy. Some people really like it. I do. I like it more, the more I experience it because my sweet -based 10 year old palate has really changed. Some don't like it. That's OK. Not need to force it on yourself.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 05:58AM

the most expensive ones

it's not a flippant answer... psychologists experiments have found that most people cannot tell the difference between a cheap wine and an expensive one from the same grape variety
but if you tell someone wine in glass A costs 10 x more than wine in glass B, then they will nearly always say that [edit] the more expensive one [/edit] is better tasting.....Even if it's exactly the same wine from the same bottle

also, red wine versus white wine...... adds some red food colouring to a white wine and 95% of people wont be able to tell the difference

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 09:06AM by EssexExMo.

Date: January 11, 2017 12:46PM

Was buying wine with my son at Christmas. Although he is an RM, he and his wife love drinking wine. I told him how I was buying a cheap nero d'avola from the supermarket, and really enjoyed it. So I went to the big wine outlet here and tried a few different expensive varieties of nero, some $20 more than the supermarket variety. My finding was that they were all pretty much the same, and none of them worth the extra cost beyond the supermarket brand.

Still, don't buy too cheaply. Buy Gallo in the big glass jug, and you'll probably never drink wine again.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:33AM

SOUR GRAPES is a fun documentary on Netflix that demonstrates your point - few people can tell the difference between expensive wine and a cheap wine. It's the story of a guy who pulled one on people like the Koch brothers. Good stuff.

http://www.drvino.com/2016/11/29/sour-grapes-wine-fraud-netflix/)

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 12:33PM

Start with Sangria,it's sweet and most people like it.
You can buy it in the alcohol sections of your local supermarket (at least in California)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 04:13PM

Not big on red wines, but I like some of the blends. That Yellow Tail "Sweet Red Roo" is my cheapo go to. It's a blend of Cab and Shiraz and some other red stuff.

Date: January 12, 2017 04:52AM

I tried the house white wine at dinner with my son and his wife, and I loved it. I would be happy with that, because I eat mostly fish and chicken, and the cheeses we sampled seemed to match up with white wine. (But what do I know?)

Still--it is the red grape color that makes the red wine good for your health, so I will keep experimenting.

I tried some pop wines, like Boone's Farm. Is Barefoot like a pop wine?

I live in Utah, and the state liquor stores don't seem to be into customer service, much.

Where would I find a wine tasting in Utah? Are these events, advertised in the newspaper? Park City had a wine and cheese tasting, last summer. The Opera Guild has one, before the opening of an opera, but I don't belong to the Opera Guild. Maybe wine is too "high-brow" for a homebody like me.

I can't wait for this weekend! I'm still afraid to drink during the work week.

Date: January 12, 2017 06:01AM

Barefoot is regular wine. Not particularly high quality. It' what we cook with. If you're going to make a sauce that takes red wine, don't be using no $30 bottles of wine!

Date: January 13, 2017 06:42AM

I look forward to your weekend as well!

If you haven't read it yet I would recommend: "The Wine Lover's Cookbook". Check it out on Amazon. That book really dives in to wine pairings and flavors that connect wine with food. I loved this book for that reason. Learning the flavor notes of a wine and what goes with it is a wonderful journey to take. The recipes are fantastic too.

Trust yourself. Go with what you love. Let us know how it went!!

Date: January 13, 2017 11:02AM

Oh my hell, no, Boones is what we call Cheerleader beer, as in it's a fruit flavoured malt beverage, not wine. This is just personal tasted, but most of those fruit flavoured malt beverages have an aftertaste of vomit. :P

Park City, SLC, and Moab are the only places I can think of that would do a wine tasting or flight.

BF purchased a case of Laubes Bordeaux a couple of weeks ago from Sam's Club. IDK if it's available at the UT liquor stores or not, but it's a mild, smei-dry, semi sweet red at room temp. I don't drink a whole lot of reds because they make my skin flush, but I like them with sharp cheddar cheeses. I'm actually surprised no one has posted a food and wine pairing chart yet, so here ya' go:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/23/d8/a8/23d8a8637735b07eb5e824a26738122f.jpg
http://www.bforbel.com/2013/08/entertaining-guests-cheat-sheet-for-wine-and-cheese-pairings.html

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c8/85/84/c885848bdda1075964243faa78691c75.jpg

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 02:42PM

My company staff gave me a bottle of Coppola Vineyards Pinot Noir this week for a birthday present.
It was wonderful, the perfect complement to beefy meals and cheeses.

I try not to be a "wine snob." I just try various ones, and then buy the ones I like. The fun is in the trying...:)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 29, 2018 09:34AM

Plain Concord grape juice *is* most delicious, without the alcohol content. And just as healthy as red wine.

Since I cannot have alcohol, the grape juice is the closest I can come to enjoying nature's bounty from the grape in drink.

Try different wines to see which you like. Study which are better for pairing with certain foods. Basic table wine is good for starters.

A hint of cinnamon around the holidays is nice. You can buy them made that way, or add the mulled spice yourself.

Dry wines v. sweet wines is a cultivated taste IMO. See which you like. That's part of the adventure!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.