Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MandyElle ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:17AM

I'm trying traditional foods and fermented vegetables is one. So I mention this in a Facebook post. There are a few Mormons I have on my friend list because they will see how happy I am minus TSCC. Of course, one of these people freaked out and thought the vegetables were alcoholic! She didn't comment when I replied that Sauerkraut is fermented. Guess she thinks she's going to Outer Darkness now! Lol

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:24AM

I once had a mission companion who pitched a fit because we were buying cookies at a bakery in Torino, Italy. He had asked the baker if they were made with vanilla. When the baker said yes, he went around trying to get the rest of us in the district to put the cookies down because they contained... Alcohol! Because, you know, vanilla is... Alcoholic! Some Mormons just shouldn't leave their houses.

Posted by: lmao ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:38AM

There goes the soy sauce!

Bottled evil!

Posted by: MandyElle ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 08:45AM

There went all deserts pretty much if you can't have "alcoholic " vanilla! Lol

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 09:35AM

I enjoyed some bourbon flavored bread pudding, compliments of Smith's Food King in sunny southern Utah earlier this week. It was to die for. Maybe that's why it was marked down as a reduced item, I wonder, because it was in Mormon town where it was sold?

Someone else's loss ... my gain. ;-)

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 12:48PM

Amyjo, you are in southern Ut area now?

My apologies I don't want to hijack the thread...

Ha Ha! Oh dear. No yogurt, sourdough, miso, certain cheeses, or kimchi. What an awful way to live. :)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 12:52PM

I think I'm amazed at how much food is fermented.

Date: January 11, 2017 03:48PM

Yeah, I am! Through to the weekend. Then alas, all good things must come to an end and I sojourn back to the cold NE.

But ... there's a silver lining betwixt that cloud. I put an offer on a house and it was accepted. So the catch-22 is now I must sell my house ASAP upon my return home in order to go through with the sale out here LOLOLOL.

I started out on a vacation, and may have ended up a homeowner.

Dag nam it. Back to bourbon and vanilla flavors hihi. I didn't even get a buzz from eating the bread pudding. It was just scrump deli ishus.

And I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Smith's is on to something BIG.

I DID go to the southern Utah ex-Mo conference this past Sunday. It was a good sized turnout. I was impressed there are quite a few who turn out for that meetup. :)

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 01:05PM

This story is a good example of why I never made a very good mormon.

I was taking a Life Science class in College. We were learning about the Krebs Cycle. That's when I learned that ALL of us produce a small amount of natural alcohol in our system.

Lo and behold, the subject of alcohol came up in RS. I told them what I had learned just the day before. There were a few gasps and giggles, then the room went silent. Not a single person commented on it. I wonder what they were thinking.

Date: January 12, 2017 09:13AM

That's hysterical, ericka, and so what's expected at a typical RS meeting.

It's next to impossible to have intelligent discourse when so much resistance to learning is the standard.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 04:37PM

I guess pickles are evil then, as they're just fermented cucumbers. She probably thinks Bednar or whichever living fossil gave that speech is really a secret apostate.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 04:40PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 07:05AM

One day when I was a teenager, decades ago :( we read the ingredients in some chocolate we were eating.

To our horror in said chocolate liquor. We were sure we'd be in trouble.

Later I consulted the encyclopedia (for young ones. Encyclopedias were book versions of the internet you know today) and found chocolate liquor was merely the name for the liquid from the cocoa bean.

Relieved we all went back to eating chocolate.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 09:41AM

Dittos to Erica on the Krebs Cycle.

Also I'll point out that the fermentation reactions in the rising of bread produce alcohol, but most of it--not all--is driven off by the heat in the oven. The reactions in making beer are the same, but the alcohol remains. Beer is just liquid bread.

Many natural foods contain small quantities of alcohol, so we have specific enzymatic pathways to detoxify it. Perhaps because they were designed to deal with small amounts, these enzymes don't work very fast; so if you ingest a large amount of alcohol, it's going to take some time to get rid of it. This leads to a situation with which some of us are familiar.

I haven't worked in this area for a while, so all this is quoted from memory from medical school biochemistry and pharmacology courses a long time ago.

Cheers!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.