Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 02:10PM

So if only half the members are paying tithing, then where is the money going. lets say 6 million members paid $10 a month that would be $60,000,000 ( 60 million ) a month, which is 720,000,000 (7 hundred and 20 million) a year.

We know they are getting more then $10 a month from 6 million people, so where is all this money going? Plus the many business they own which make a profit.

Hope my math is correct..

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lurker 1 ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 02:27PM

If I had to guess they would be showing the tithing money going to fund ward and stake budgets, building maintenance including temples, funding the missionary program on costs not borne by the missionary, and paying the costs of the various BYU's. I would also speculate that they used the Perpetual Education Fund money along with fast offering funds not utilized by the wards and stakes where they were donated to fund money making ventures such as the City Creek Mall and then they use the proceeds from the mall and other money making ventures to pay salaries, stipends, etc. with a little of the left over money going to fund education loans (not grants) and other things the money was actually donated for. That way they can in their opinion state that no tithing money is used.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: January 11, 2017 02:42PM

is that those who pay tithing have no way of knowing how their donations are being spent. TBM's should treat the brethren the way Reagan treated the Russians - Trust but verify!

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 04:19AM

I would have to imagine that a ton of tithing money goes to subsidizing the thousands and thousands of people that go to BYU, BYU Idaho BYU Hawaii and so on and so forth. The tuition is unbelievably cheap, and I imagine that tithing revenues go a long way towards subsidizing the cost of the education. Even in schools that have expensive tuition, my understanding is that schools endowments and alumni donation programs are supposed to subsidize a portion of a student's education.

Other than developing Church Real Estate, like stake centers, chapels, temples etc, my guess is that subsidizing church funded schools is where tithing monies go to the most.

Of course there's no way to know or confirm this because, of course, the church refuses to disclose where any of their money goes or how much is collected through tithing revenues, or how much profit is made through church corporations or Investments. For all I know, they use tithing funds to develop the mall, and use profits from the mall to fund the construction of stake centers.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 07:11PM

I have heard or read that a tremendous percentage of the tithing revenues generated are used to fund the BYU's. When I say tithing I am referring to the "10% of income" donated to the church, not other donations (land, property, estate plans, etc.) that are ABOVE AND BEYOND the standard 10% tithes.

I believe the church when it says that building the mall and G.A.'s "stipends" are not taken from tithing donations. Why would the church need to dip into the tithing funds? Years ago I saw a LONG list of SOME of the "for profit" holdings of the church. After seeing the list, I was EASILY convinced that the revenue from tithing donations was just a "drop in the bucket" when compared to the potential of the revenues the church receives from the "for profit" side of the corporation.

For those who like to chime in that everything the church has started from tithing funds...I'm not buying that. Over my lifetime I have personally seen the church benefit from the estates of many wealthy members...my parents estate included (that would be millions...with an "s"). And that is just in my little corner of the world.

Posted by: T ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 07:25PM

Well, at least we know CANADIAN tithing goes there.

Anything else? Your guess is as good as mine.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 04:32AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1925882

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 04:32AM by steve benson.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 05:11AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1925891

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 05:20AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:58AM

Back when the change to the current system took effect, I was at a meeting where Hinckley said once the money is given to the lord (church) the members have no need to know how it is used. The church is only responsible to the lord.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 09:49AM

The tithing money probably goes back in to the business empire that pays the GAs, builds malls, etc. The system is so incestuous that the definitions of free enterprise and charity both need to be reconsidered, with respect to mormonism. The church is both their own charity and also their own closed free-market/competative-market (not really competative as markets should be), system. The anti-trust issues must be staggering, if only there were the transparenct required to expose it.

Posted by: Iceman ( )
Date: January 12, 2017 06:46PM

They have no leg to stand on ..

There is Tithing and dividends from tithing. Nothing else!
They cannot be seperated

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.